HMS Tiger 1747 by Siggi52 - 1:48 - 60 gun ship from NMM plans

There is a bug in the system, Siggi,  that's been reported in the  "How to Use" area.    One "fix" as such that one of the users found was to post without the image that wouldn't post and then re-open the post and add the image.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello and thank you for your comments and likes,

today was a great day, because I finished the gun Deck. More or les, because there are the capstans and ladder-ways who will follow later.

I decided to build the anchors all on board, so the anchor cable did't go over the riding bits. I'm sorry but the crew had there breakfast break, so they are not at the pictures 😉

DSC01886.thumb.jpg.25d061b8e05d37693bb32c9d4d6486b1.jpg

DSC01885.thumb.jpg.7b11f4f80057b950c651329772502a67.jpg

DSC01881.thumb.jpg.56d5619ea5e69addce6c39c0fb625997.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg.607d91c8b64b4441f925206b40e5eaf0.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Hello,

not that you forget me, here a small update. I build in the spirketting for the upper gun deck. 

DSC01887.thumb.jpg.dde0912ed23d8a2d9044a67ea8a03fa0.jpg

and today the waterways followed

DSC01888.thumb.jpg.0217807e39e2377d7ef1f92710bcb805.jpg

DSC01889.thumb.jpg.1ba293a02135ea64ac71d4ea3c7121da.jpg

These guys are controlling all. They are standing on a 3 inch (1,6 mm) plank. The planks later have the same size. And that is, what the carpenters have to do the next weeks, planking the deck. 

DSC01891.thumb.jpg.c5e8b4f91e4e0ed9b64286d5a4c4e572.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Siggi, beautiful work as always. I always enjoy seeing an update from you. Glad to see your workers practicing social distancing. :)

Edited by Keith Black

Thank you Keith, we are all boosted and I hope save! The boss spend sometimes a brandy, for disinfection. 😃

Druxey, I got out of this without any destruction. But I have to work this way, because how should I install the canons when the upper deck is ready? Not to speak of the paint work with all the ports open. But this was at least the most dangerous work, and it is done. 😰

Regards,

Siggi

I really don't know that Joe. But why not, may be in an other version? The carpenter on board has sometimes also something to build or to repair.  

Regards,

Siggi

Hello,

today I started building the gratings. To show you how I did it, here some pictures.

I think the pictures explain how I work. It is important, to cut first the grooves transverse to the grain. Otherwise you would have later a large puzzle.

DSC01893.thumb.jpg.2bd060aa8dc867e85ea50ac45925b3f3.jpg

DSC01897.thumb.jpg.25ff3d236c99061c235827ef12f1d929.jpg

DSC01901.thumb.jpg.8706860e4d1de2e44a05035304db15ae.jpg

DSC01902.thumb.jpg.23d7557db90d186454cc3a2f2f50f47a.jpg

I leave them over night so, that they may straighten out a little more and glue the battens tomorrow in. After that, I grind the back away, and they are ready.

But at least I have a question. At Falconers deck plan (gun deck) you could see to the left and right of the gratings and ladder ways two planks, who are going more or less straight through the ship. Those with the rings for the canons, Z. Was that also at the upper gun deck so? At the models you see mostly only the waist.

1169416339_image-3Kopie.thumb.jpeg.8262b093739745f775281658aead4de2.jpeg

Regards,

Siggi

Hello,

today I finished these gratings. And my question is also answered, I found pictures of a 70 gunner 1730 and of the Ajax 1767. Both are models where the upper part could be taken away, and they show at the underside of the upper gun deck these two planks.

DSC01905.jpg.13c085e053470f2c91ac86f9eca096ad.jpg

DSC01903.thumb.jpg.a2be422a6391483add0e73c6c175ea5e.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Great gratings Siggi. I learned long ago to make the gratings first to insure full borders on all sides. The coamings and head ledges can always be modified a bit to fit.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hello, and many thanks Gary

So, the first arrangement of gratings is ready. Left is only painting, but I think that is something for tomorrow. To the right comes later a capstan and a ladder way

DSC01907.thumb.jpg.ee0a2046bb41ee76f45c94b348f5075f.jpg

DSC01906.thumb.jpg.f94af85d82bda6f03f44f5a703bb90dc.jpg

And before anybody cries, oh that is not authentic, here the Centurion 😉

801705146_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-22um18_38_56.thumb.jpg.5a0854a3ab24531665412257cd98bcd8.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Lovely work Siggi;

Well done indeed; a lot of great examples and ideas to absorb. 

To answer your question above, the long plank each side of the hatchways was called the binding strake. It was 1" thicker than the other deck planks, and was let down into the top of the deck beams by 1". As this is a lot of work for something unseen, it is rarely done on models. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Those look really good Siggi, the attention to detail is wonderful and I love how you added the small details to the transverse combing beams. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Nice observation of the arrangement of the coamings on Centurion! I wonder if that was usual, as I've never seen this detail elsewhere. Do you know of other examples?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Beautiful work as usual.   Love those small details.  And it doesnt matter really how often you might see it on primary sources.   I have seen many examples where fine unusual details are shown on a particular contemporary model and nowhere else which makes it absolutely worthy of inclusion.   We may never the why? or how often?  but its a wonderful detail.  Well done.

Hello and thank you for your comments,

Mark, are that really binding strakes? I know that they may have the same function even if they are only nailed on top of the beams. Falconer, Lavery and even Goodwin did't mention them. In the 1815 edition of Falconer they are mentioned and of corse in Boudriot book about the 74 gunner from 1780.

A colleagues in a German forum has posted this from: "18th CENTURY SHIPBUILDING - Remarks on the Navies of the English & Dutch" von Blaise Ollivier? 

368750792_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-22um20_33_38.jpg.4bf89446b1ebf189f15dfb6083654472.jpg

That should be from 1737, but who did write the note to the left, and when?

Druxey, that is the only source I have. But I thought to get them out it would be helpful to have some room under them. Also for airing the surface of the beams there.

Chuck, thank you too

Regards,

Siggi

Good Morning Siggi;

Blaise Ollivier was a French shipwright sent by king Louis to investigate English and Dutch ship-building methods in 1737. He wrote down his observations, which were published at the time, and later re-published by Jean Boudriot. The italicised note on the left appears to be a quote from the original book.

HIs comments on the lack of binding strakes in English ships are true, it would seem. However, it is important to remember that 17th century English ships had two long, continuous carlings along the deck, forming the sides of all the hatchways. This would have made binding strakes un-necessary. Contracts of the time make it clear that the deck plank was all of the same thickness, but that the first strake against the hatchways was to be of oak, even if most of the deck was deal. 

Later contracts and specifications, those for Warspite of 1755, and Marlborough of 1768, specify that the strake next to the hatchways is to be let down 1 1/2" into the deck beams, to form a binding strake. 

There must therefore have been a period of time, once the 16th century's full-length coamings were no longer fitted, and before the 1750s (or somewhat earlier) when no binding strakes were used, as Blaise Ollivier comments. I do not have any contracts between 1702 and 1755 which would help to establish the date when they were introduced, though.

Chuck: the ogee curves to the underside of the hatch ledges are also featured on the model of the 44 gun Endymion of 1779, and on the steps up from her gangways. 

See picture below (the one showing this in the hatchway is rather blurred, due to low light and no flash allowed)

All the best,

Mark P

image.png.3588bc381184bc4c879aeeb9d0ae53a1.png

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Siggi,

As I viewed your table saw setup for the short pieces,  I am wondering if your have or have considered making a sliding crosscut table?  It helps with multiple replicate cuts on stock that is ~ 3/4 as long as the saw table is front to back if your table is the same XY as the table top.  It also makes it easier to keep your fingers an addition step away from the blade.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Thanks, Siggi and Mark. I immediately saw the advantage of the air spaces when I saw the photos. A nice 'find' that I've never seen described before.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good Evening Siggi;

This does not change anything for you, but I have been looking further into the origin of binding strakes. The contract for Edgar, dated 1666, specifies that 'the gun deck shall be laid with good three inch plank, and one strake of four inch next to the carlings [hatchways] to run fore and aft'.

It is not stated that the thicker strake will be let into the beams, but it would be an awful trip hazard if this is not done. So binding strakes were in use long before Blaise Ollivier states that they were not. Presumably, at least in the royal dockyards, this was left to the master shipwright. 

All the best,

Mark P

Good morning Mark,

and many thanks for your efforts. Yesterday I read a lot, and came to the solution, to omit the binding strakes. 

You say, that you did't have contracts from the time of 1702 to 1755. That was the time of the establishment, and in the lists are no binding strakes mentioned. And may be, as you say, it was left to the shipwright. I think, when Anson became the 1. Lord of the Admiralty(1751) and Slade and Batly were the Surveyors of the Navy (1755), they reintroduced the binding strake. 

Regards,

Siggi