HMS Bellona 1760 by SJSoane - Scale 1:64 - English 74-gun - as designed

Hi everyone,

A little more progress. I used the jig to shape the quarterdeck transom, by gluing sandpaper on the upper surface of the jig to fair the transom to it. I also fitted three clamps to hold the transom in place while I marked the dovetails with the vertical counter timbers. The first photo shows the transom before dovetailing, set forward from the aft face of the counter timbers so the frames for the lights can fit flush between the vertical timbers. The original Bellona model shows this offset between counter timber and transom, and it  took me sometime to figure out; perhaps I'll do a drawing later to show this.

The second photo shows the counter timbers dovetailed into the quarterdeck transom. I only have to make the upper counter moulding, fair the faces of the counter timbers, and it is time to glue up! That will be another month at my current rate....

Mark

post-477-0-82764400-1395011058_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-06140400-1395011060_thumb.jpg

That will be another month at my current rate....

Ahh but better that doing it three times at my rate. ;)

Great work Mark.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi everyone,

After many months, I was finally able to remove the jig today, and see the stern in all its glory.

I still have to trim the short pieces in the window sill area, and fair inside and out before finally gluing up and starting the transoms inboard. But it is definitely looking more like a real stern.

The whole thing is shockingly fragile. No wonder a broadside into the stern would just about finish the day....

Best wishes,

Mark

post-477-0-03117500-1395524034_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-27048900-1395524035_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-63865200-1395524036_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-79094500-1395524037_thumb.jpg

Wow Mark that looks really outstanding. very nice work on the dovetails as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Thanks, Michael. I don't know how I would have pulled this off without a jig. Each piece depends upon several other pieces to locate it, so everything is floating around without something to anchor it at least temporarily. And now the most important part--equal spacing of the window frames--is guaranteed by the original spacing in the jig.

I can only imagine how the original shipwrights located these two story tall counter timbers. There must have been lot of shoring and propping...

Mark

Beautiful work on the stern framing, Mark.   I guess that if we knew how the old shipwrights did it, we could duplicate their methods and make modeling a bit easier on ourselves. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work on the stern framing, Mark.   I guess that if we knew how the old shipwrights did it, we could duplicate their methods and make modeling a bit easier on ourselves. :)

Thanks, Mark, don't you sometimes feel you are channeling model builders from the 18th century, when you make exactly the same piece you know they made 2 ½ centuries ago?

Just  perfect, it looks better and better. Great work on the wood frame.
My admiration to your craftsmanship.

Kind regards

Doris

Thank you Doris, coming from you who is one of the very best builders on this site, this is a very high compliment!

Thanks, Mark, don't you sometimes feel you are channeling model builders from the 18th century, when you make exactly the same piece you know they made 2 ½ centuries ago?

Indeed, but from my end, they did it better.  From your end, you're doing it better.  :)  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I continue to work on the stern, which proves to be the most complex thing I have ever built. Each piece interacts with several others, like a basket-weave. Nothing can be finally fixed, until others are fixed, which in turn depend on the first piece, etc. I discovered that even pinning things together doesn't entirely work, because the pieces move enough that fine fitting of another part is always off a bit.

So I decided to firm up the middle, with the rudder port chocks glued to the two adjacent vertical timbers, holding the center timber. With this as a foundation, the other parts can be fitted to something solid. That center piece was a bit tricky to shape, and I am showing a Sherline vise held by my bench vise, which allowed it to be held without breaking the open end.

I am also showing the helm port transom on the fore side of the timbers. Eventually, it will be cut in the middle, to come down to the top of the stern post. But I decided to keep it whole while fitting everything, to keep everything in alignment.

I keep thinking I am only a short time away from gluing it all up, but each little fitting of parts takes forever. Maybe next week....

Best wishes,

Mark

post-477-0-76276600-1397439802_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-19074200-1397439804_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-16002300-1397439805_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-69238400-1397439806_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-17018800-1397439808_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-17195900-1397439810_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-16176000-1397439812_thumb.jpg

That is some very nice joinery Mark, and tricky fits as well.

michael

Very tricky, very nice!

Sometimes, if one has to clamp a U-shaped structure such as the helm port framing you've illustrated, a temporary filler piece across the open side will prevent breakage.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Exceptional work as always, Mark.  Flawless.  I sometimes forget the 1/64 scale. At this smaller scale, perfect fit up is harder.  Well done.

The stern is certainly complex.  Wait till you get to the head rails and timbers.  I sometimes find it helpful to think of how the original was erected - one piece at a time, rather than with prefitted sub-assemblies.  Sometimes it is easier having a solidly anchored piece to fit to or measure from, but you seem to be doing just fine so I will just continue to watch. 

Ed

Thank you, Michael, Sailor, Druxey, Ed and Grant. Each week, I keep thinking I will finally be able to show the stern assembled and glued; but entire days go by with file and fit, file and fit. It really helps keep me going in these more tedious moments with your words of encouragement!

I just have to remind myself that a model maker did exactly this same thing 250 years ago, on the original Bellona model. And probably by candlelight as deadlines approached...

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi everyone,

So I finally figured out--I think--the intersection of the helm port transom and the stern post. After reviewing the photos of the original Bellona model very carefully, the helm port transom clearly intersects the stern post a little aft of center, with a bit of stern post both fore and aft of the helm port transom. So what kind of joint would suit this?

I considered a bridle joint intersecting the stern post. But I abandoned this idea, because this would weaken the post at the top by splitting it in two for the helm port transom to pass through. And I began to think that the continuity of the transom all the way across the stern for structural integrity was not necessary anyway. If the transom is split to save the integrity of the post, the two pieces of the transom still bridge on either side between two strong and stable anchoring points, the outer counter timber and the stern post. Furthermore, the upper deck transom (not shown yet in model or drawing) is only a little way above and aft of the helm port transom, and it bridges entirely across the stern giving all the transverse structural integrity needed here.

So accepting a split helm port transom, the joint to the stern post is either a dovetail or a mortise and tenon. Maybe I decided on the latter because I did not see how easily I would cut a dovetail in the top or the stern post at this late date. But I prefer to think I decided on the mortise and tenon because it would leave the stern post most structurally integral, and would provide no joint on top of the post for admitting water. This is my story and I am sticking with it....

The drawing shows the intersection without the lower chock for clarity, while the model shows the chocks in place, hiding the lower piece of the helm port transom on either side of the stern post.

Best wishes,

Mark

post-477-0-90877700-1397949226_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-07614700-1397949228_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

Big event today. I started on the stern before Christmas, and today I finally glued everything except the upper and lower counter moldings and the two vertical counter timbers above the gun port cills. The moldings need profiles shaped before gluing, and the remaining counter timbers need a little more fitting. It is all looking shipshape!

Very, very slow progress on this. Good thing I am not doing this for money....

Best wishes,

Mark

post-477-0-54954600-1398037610_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-09707400-1398037612_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-74598800-1398037613_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-62797400-1398037615_thumb.jpg

What a wonderful build you have going on here Mark, really outstanding.  Will definitely be following from here on.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'll join the chorus.  That is beautiful work.  Very well done, sir.  Pop a few buttons and be proud of it.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you, everyone, for your encouraging thoughts. Who would ever guess in advance that would take so long, and be so fiddly? Imagine doing that with 2 story tall full size oak timbers...

Mark

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen the Bellona upside down for several years; kind of scary unbolting it from the building board! In all the years of studying, drawing and visualizing the stern, I confess I did not fully appreciate how much the lower counter forms a horizontal shelf. I wonder how many ships boys found a nice place for a nap in the little cubby between the lower counter and the upper deck.

I am fairing the lower counter, and hoping to start planking it tomorrow. I'll re-read the great tutorials on planking on the website first...

Mark

post-477-0-30686600-1399154255_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-25559700-1399154257_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-66865900-1399154258_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-18823900-1399154260_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-71519300-1399154261_thumb.jpg