USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

On 2/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, mbp521 said:

but I think next on the bench I will take a break from the steam era get back to a full rigged ship

Brain, thank you for the encouragement. I wish you would model a wood hull screw frigate, you'd get to do steam and rigging. 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, TBlack said:

You are turning this piece of wood from folk art to a piece of history. Bless you!

Tom, bless you for your kindness. Thank you. 

On 2/28/2021 at 10:11 PM, Tony Hunt said:

Use wire for the rigging, not thread

Tony, I've thought long on your suggestion. If I had rigged several ships and knew what I was doing I might go that route because it does seem to be an answer to the biggest problem with older models. Being new/green to rigging I'm going to stick with thread due to it's more forgiving nature but, I am going to use poly not cotton. It may add a couple of more years to the rigging?

On 3/5/2021 at 11:53 PM, FriedClams said:

I love little nuggets of information like this Keith.  Small seemingly insignificant tidbits of function can really add so much historical interest to a model.

Gary, I gleaned so much from your "Last Dollar" build, I'm ever indebted. Thank you so much for the kind words.

On 3/9/2021 at 4:33 PM, Gixli said:

impressive documentary and technical thread, trully amazing work

Gus, thank your support and thank you for stopping by! Don't be a stranger and if I can ever help, please ask. 

3 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Rather a good question Tom. I often find myself looking at something on the model and wondering "how the heck did I make that". Fortunately the build log is better than my memory and usually supplies the answer.

Keith, thank you for answering up and having my back. In my case, how I made something isn't that complex, pretty straightforward stuff. 

I'm sorry I've not posted in so long but I had hoped to be able to post a photo showing progress by now. Alas I've gotten stuck on, should I drill out for sheaves at the end of the spars or not. I'm representing the spars as being wood, I've been going through build logs looking for an example with sheaves but no success. I have drawings showing the spars should have sheaves at the ends. I twist with indecision.

Thank you all for kind comments and the likes, your kindness blesses me beyond words. 

Thank you for the likes. 

Finally, my first spar less blocks. A couple of mistakes that hopefully I'll correct on the second one. It took 55 pieces to make the main lower yard. More research required regarding the associated blocks, what I see in the H & H photos doesn't jive with what plans and build logs I've gone through. It might be due to the difference of sail/steam vs just sail, hopefully I'll get that sorted shortly but in the meantime, on to the fore lower yard. 

IMG_5145.JPG

Looks very good Keith; a great start.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 9:54 PM, Keith Black said:

in the meantime, on to the fore lower yard. 

That looks just the job Keith.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 3/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, KeithAug said:

Rather a good question Tom. I often find myself looking at something on the model and wondering "how the heck did I make that". Fortunately the build log is better than my memory and usually supplies the answer.

Same here.

Also, the Tennessee is looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Tom, Pat, Keith, and Phil, thank you for the encouraging words and thank you to all for the likes.

Today I finished the fore lower yard which looks just like the main lower yard so I'll save MSW some bandwidth and not post a photo. Because of Spring I've been in the yard a lot so finding time to work on the spars has been a challenge. When I do get a chance to work on them, I'm struggling getting the small fiddly bits positioned exactly where I want them to go. Struggling does not make the task enjoyable, obviously I'm having eyesight issues. I've tidied up the worktable and  I'm going to try rearranging my lighting and if that doesn't help I'm going to order a magnifier hood. As of now I'm dependent on my reading glasses. 

Everyone enjoy the warmer weather, take care, and thank you again. 

Keith,  the warmer weather does tend to put a slowdown on the building. As much fun as it is, we still need to shed that winter coat and enjoy the springtime and work on the other yards. 

Yards (ship wise) are looking great though. We are a patient bunch, so enjoy the outdoors. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

I have a pair of safety-glasses that have +2 lenses in them. There may be also stronger ones. They are very comfortable, like normal glasses and protect you, when working with machinery etc. I used to have safety-glasses with neutral lenses (being myopic), but found that with increasing age (or may increasingly small parts) I have to resort to the +2 ones.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 4/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, Keith Black said:

I'm going to try rearranging my lighting and if that doesn't help I'm going to order a magnifier hood.

I picked up an OptiVISOR two years ago after a decade of resistance and I'm glad that I finally did.  Its use has led to the biggest improvement in my modeling than any other tool I own.  I'm not exaggerating.  And no more eye strain.  I bought the set with four lens of varying strengths.  I wear my reading glasses the whole time I'm modeling and flip the visor down over the top of the glasses only as needed.  I disliked having it on my head at first, but now can't imagine working without them.  Beware of inexpensive knock-offs (no, I don't own stock in the company.)

The Tennessee is progressing nicely Keith.  Enjoy your fresh air activities.

Gary  

Edited by FriedClams

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I pop in now and again to see how this fascinating model is coming along. Wow! There is so much interesting detail to look at. 

I appreciate all the research that goes into even the slightest detail. Sometimes my model "Terror" gets overwhelming. Similar to the "Tenessee", it was an unusual ship at a transitional time in history. "What did this part look like?" ...failing that, "What did the same part look like on a similar ship?".. failing that, "What did a similar part look like on ANY ship from that era?" .. failing that, "What was Naval practice at that time"? and finally "OK does anyone here have an opinion on what this part may have looked like, where it was mounted, what colour it was, or EVEN IF IT WAS THERE AT ALL?" 

Your tenacious pursuit of detail is inspiring. Also, the "Tennessee" was a beautiful ship. 

1 hour ago, Keith S said:

"What did this part look like?" ...failing that, "What did the same part look like on a similar ship?".. failing that, "What did a similar part look like on ANY ship from that era?" .. failing that, "What was Naval practice at that time"? and finally "OK does anyone here have an opinion on what this part may have looked like, where it was mounted, what colour it was, or EVEN IF IT WAS THERE AT ALL?" 

Keith, thank you for "Your tenacious pursuit of detail is inspiring", that means more to me than you know. Regarding the quote above, I've have been there more times than I care to count, it's endless as I'm sure you know. 

Sorry that I've not dropped in on your build in awhile but that'll soon be corrected.  Thank you again for your kind words.......KB

Edited by Keith Black

It's been awhile since I posted, parts are in the paint shop drying, photos tomorrow. 

Eberhard, thank you regarding the safety glasses and Gary, thank you for the OptiVISOR recommendation. I tried rearranging my lighting  but that didn't help, changing out a bulb wouldn't hurt. In the end I'm going to have to find some alternative to my reading glasses.

Brain, Eberhart, Gary, and Will, thank you for the encouragement and thank you to all for the likes. 

As we are getting older, good lighting is important. The eye looses gradually its elasticity and therefore the ability to focus on close items. This can be to some extent compensated for by a greater depth of field, which is effect of narrowing pupilles due to stronger light.

By and by I have replaced all the incandescant bulbs in my lamps with LED-bulbs of 150 W equivalent. Due to the waste heat such strong light would have not been possible with tradtional bulbs - it also happened to me that I burnt myself on halogen bulbs. I also bought a sort of indoor LED flood-light that I installed above the worktable. It was actually cheaper than a strong LED-bulb.

Some people advocate daylight LED-bulbs (5600 K), but I prefer 'warm' ones (3600 K - 4000 K), as they give a more pleasant atmosphere. The models would be typically viewed under such light conditions, so the light colour would be appropriate for that reason too and colour changes become unimportant.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Eberhard, thank you and thank you to all for the likes.

The lower yards and gaffs less blocks are completed. The mast, spars, and gaffs are removable where each can be worked off ship independently from one another. 

After all these years it's starting to look like there might actually be a ship lurking in there. 

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5157.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

Looking mighty fine Keith, some lovely detail emerging.  It reminds me I have to get back to the workbench - too much time spent researching the rig (but almost complete now).

cheers

Pat

Keith,

Beautiful job. She’s really starting to come together. Almost to one of my favorite parts of the build, the rigging. It definitely looks like there is a ship emerging from the shadows. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Pat, Brian, and Gary, thank you for your words of support and a sincere thank you to all for the likes.

These two photos show my impatience to see the mast with all the spars attached even though the six are raw without their bits and paint. I've envisioned this moment for such a long time it's almost surreal to finally see this stage close to completion. Nothing is jumping out at me screaming "stop the presses" so it's on to getting the six tidied up. I promise better photos when the six spars are rigged and hung.   

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

15 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Pat, Brian, and Gary, thank you for your words of support and a sincere thank you to all for the likes.

These two photos show my impatience to see the mast with all the spars attached even though the six are raw without their bits and paint. I've envisioned this moment for such a long time it's almost surreal to finally see this stage close to completion. Nothing is jumping out at me screaming "stop the presses" so it's on to getting the six tidied up. I promise better photos when the six spars are rigged and hung.   

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

Just caught up on this build. I love the attention to detail and the focus on authenticity. I hope one day I can be as diligent and knowledgable as you are with these ships. 

6 hours ago, Keith Black said:

These two photos show my impatience to see the mast with all the spars attached even though the six are raw without their bits and paint.

Keith,

I wouldn’t call it impatience, I would call it a photo of you test fitting the spars to make sure they look authentic and fit correctly. 😜

Good thing the model police weren’t watching, I’ve been guilty on numerous occasions of jumping ahead and “dry fitting” parts before they are ready to be installed. It’s part of the fun. The photos show that she is really starting to look complete and how beautiful she’s going to be. Keep them coming. 

-Brian

Those spars look good Keith, all starting to come together now.  You just need to be a 'little' patient :)

cheers

Pat

Wow, what a gorgeous ship!  Thought I'd take a peek at your current work, since you've been so kind with your comments on my first little model.  Your ship looks amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, Brian, Pat, and Iraymo, thank you for your supportive comments and thank you to all for stopping by and the likes. 

Installing the jackstays on the smaller spars is so tedious I can only sit for a short time at the work table and I have to really force myself back to the table to work. There are 5 to 7 jackstay eyebolts (eye pins) per jackstay, they measure .05 x .175 inches. All of the eyebolts have to be placed in their respective holes and then the  jackstay (22 GA wire) is threaded through each eye from tip to the inside eye. The happiness is, the eyebolts can't be glued until the wire is threaded through because the glue (CA) clogs the eyes.  The wire has to be straight as an arrow and hopefully the eyes haven't deformed durning the trimming and placement and that they don't rise out of their holes durning the threading process. To help some I've drilled slightly undersized holes (.013) so the eye pins stick into the spar but the eye pins are photo etched and they deform easily. I am happy dance excited when I can apply CA to the base of each eye completing the process. I've completed the jackstay process for two of the six spars, four to go but who's counting.  

IMG_5240.JPG

Edited by Keith Black

The results speak for themselves; well worth the effort to force yourself to the workbench - nice work Keith.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Keith,

It’s always worth it when the tedium pays off. Even more fun getting to do the happy dance. Beautiful job on the jack stays. 

-Brian

Four more to go - put your head down and slog your way through.  Really nice work on the jackstay Keith and such a fine detail !

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox