Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee 1869 to 1886 by Keith Black - scale 1:120

2 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Excellent work but i think we all need to get a life. Having delivered the tutorial you could farm the work out to your audience and check how well we have learned.

Good idea Keith (Aug), can I extend an invitation for you to check my tutorial using your skills ?  I only have a few hundred to do ;) 

Good luck Keith (Black), they are fiddly things - I am in the process of developing a jig to mass produce them based on a system used by some Russian modellers that was posted in MSW Gen 1.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

I am in the process of developing a jig to mass produce them based on a system used by some Russian modellers that was posted in MSW Gen 1.

Pat, can the jig be adjusted to accommodate the different block sizes? What is the smallest to the largest block size you'll be working with? 

On 12/10/2021 at 2:36 PM, Keith Black said:

Then I've gotta stop what I'm doing and schedule visits to all the various mental hospitals. 

Road trip!!!!!!   However, you may want to wait a few months until the snowy season is over.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/11/2021 at 11:14 AM, Keith Black said:

Pat, can the jig be adjusted to accommodate the different block sizes? What is the smallest to the largest block size you'll be working with? 

Hi Keith, yep.  Basically it is a large clamp to hold several rows of pre-cut (sized appropriately) strip stock with sacrificial pieces on each end/side.  Once set-up you can make several hundred at a go depending on how much drilling and milling you wish to do.

cheers

Pat

22 hours ago, TBlack said:

In addition, my brother is holding up the standards of our family.

Yeah, like we got such high standards to live up to. Don't you remember the time Dad and Uncle Dave.........

12 hours ago, My Fathers Son said:

You'll find me in the Royal suite in Caterham-on-the-hill. Pop in for a mince pie for Christmas. 

I say Chubbly, mince pie puts me a bit off, have you any Crumble?

26 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Road trip!!!!!!   However, you may want to wait a few months until the snowy season is over.

If I have to wait till Spring I may as well make them myself and save my MSW friends the pain of reintroduction. 

16 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Once set-up you can make several hundred at a go depending on how much drilling and milling you wish to do.

Pat, it the jig for making blocks or stropping blocks? Sorry for being a bit thick headed. 

58 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Yeah, like we got such high standards to live up to. Don't you remember the time Dad and Uncle Dave.........

You mean the time they tried to drive the Jeep into the front hall? I think those are high standards! I mean who else would try that?

Thank you to all for the comments and likes, I am truly humbled.

All the yards are populated with their respective blocks. Of course the last yard I did turned out the best of the nine, isn't that always the case. I still need to seal the yards.

So it's on to stropping the blocks for the mast and gaffs. Thank you again for stopping by and providing me your support.

FFE1A5CA-193C-438F-8A1D-A62DC55C8149.thumb.jpeg.b8df2fca4fae9810d3fd9af8e85bf94b.jpeg

55EACA88-5BC6-4875-BCDA-C5505DA190C5.thumb.jpeg.73198862638a1fe5492f418bb8cb320d.jpeg

AC012DAC-AE47-49C1-A356-B82B8E6765CC.jpeg

6B78C17C-575B-411B-9075-ABA2E8EDB135.jpeg

Slowly but surely we're getting there.

Edited by Keith Black

Looks great, Keith.  You should post a closeup pic of the last yard that you say is the best one.  That would help people like me who are still learning.  

That's a lot of detail work, Keith.   From here, it looks like it was time well spent.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great progress Keith.

cheers

Pat

Thank you to all for the likes.

23 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That's a lot of detail work, Keith.   From here, it looks like it was time well spent.

Mark, thank you. 

19 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Great progress Keith.

Thank you, Pat.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:48 AM, Glen McGuire said:

Looks great, Keith.  You should post a closeup pic of the last yard that you say is the best one.  That would help people like me who are still learning.

Glen, first, thank you. Second, I'm posting a couple of pics but I take such lousy photos I doubt you'll be able to see any difference between any of the yards. When I said the last yard (main topsail) turned out the best is more based on feelings than actual visual. Stropping the blocks for the main topsail went without a hitch, there were no issues drilling the holes for the blocks, and the ropewalk came out equal on both sides.

One would expect to get better with each successive effort and this was the case with my ninth and final yard. I think it's vital that early on a builder must decide where their model is be placed and how it will be viewed. One side is always better when I make something. With that in mind, when possible, I've placed the best side toward the viewer.

A7920396-993D-4961-AFBC-73A653B0868E.thumb.jpeg.874dd253d87456ad24d60a27cc878b8d.jpeg 

Main topsail 6F8B45DD-CBA1-4831-B110-CC257DC557B6.thumb.jpeg.1f40e3570c8d301b7efce90e40e070c9.jpeg

Main topsail in place.FB825144-CFB0-4F29-A318-67D38356AC4C.thumb.jpeg.e32f47b46c841f84c571d0b1b4162dcd.jpeg

This is the side from which the Tennessee will be displayed. 

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Keith, 

Your fingerprints are all OVER this  website, which suggests to me that you got all the social gracious genes in the family. But it doesn't stop there. This piece of art is at a scale of 0.1": 1' if I remember correctly. I don't know how you do it.

To Iraymo: Keith and I were long tucked in for the night when that happened. I can tell you that, fortunately, the double door to the hall was 2" too narrow to allow the escapade's conclusion. But we woke up the next morning to find the Jeep on the porch.

Now, Keith was quite young at the time, so he may not remember this.

Edited by TBlack

Nice update Keith.  I couldn’t help but notice that every yard is level and perfectly inline with the others from every camera angle. I'm sure that took some time and fiddling to get right.  Very nice.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Yards are looking good Keith. I’ve been on the steamboat wagon for so long that I am missing the full rigged ships. On my list of ships is a hybrid like this, one combining steam and sail. I wish there were more options available in kits. I had contemplated the Harriet Lane, but it’s a tad bit small for my tastes, and I’m not a fan of the solid hull. Going to have to do some research one day to find a suitable subject for that build. 

As for the jeep story, sounds like someone was having a good time that night. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

I agree with @FriedClams , it's not just one thing, it's the whole picture and the attention to detail that is what draws one in. If I can get my yards within a fraction of your detail, I will be happy. 

for someone like myself, having your examples, no matter what the photographic skills, gives me something to aspire to and improves the quality of my work. And for that I thank you, as I do to all my mentors in this forum.

Simon

Edited by My Fathers Son

On 12/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, lraymo said:

WOW!  Fabulous work! (of course, now I want to hear about that jeep in the hallway...)

Thank you, Lynn. Brother Tom has an overactive imagination but he's forgiven as Mother always loved him best. 

On 12/18/2021 at 6:11 PM, GrandpaPhil said:

Looking good!

Thank you, Phil

On 12/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, TBlack said:

This piece of art is at a scale of 0.1": 1' if I remember correctly. I don't know how you do it.

Tom, thank you. About all those stories, you need lay off those brownies from Jane next door, I warned you about her. ;)

On 12/18/2021 at 10:39 PM, FriedClams said:

Nice update Keith.  I couldn’t help but notice that every yard is level and perfectly inline with the others from every camera angle. I'm sure that took some time and fiddling to get right.  Very nice.

Gary, thank you. I enjoy playing dress up with my baby. 

On 12/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, mbp521 said:

Yards are looking good Keith. I’ve been on the steamboat wagon for so long that I am missing the full rigged ships. On my list of ships is a hybrid like this, one combining steam and sail. I wish there were more options available in kits. I had contemplated the Harriet Lane, but it’s a tad bit small for my tastes, and I’m not a fan of the solid hull. Going to have to do some research one day to find a suitable subject for that build. 

Thank you, Brian. I'd love to see you take on one of the ships from the transitional period. You could take a POB kit of a ship that closely measures to that of the ship you want to replicate, build the hull, and then bash it from the deck up. There are so many neat ships from that period and are so underrepresented. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, My Fathers Son said:

it's not just one thing, it's the whole picture and the attention to detail that is what draws one in. If I can get my yards within a fraction of your detail, I will be happy. 

Simon, thank you, you're too kind. You are doing a bang-up job with your dad's Cutty Sark, I always enjoy your updates. 

To all, thank you for your comments and likes. Each of you are the wind in my sails. 

I removed the yards from the mast and poly coated them and they dry as we speak. The Tennessee looks naked and a bit ugly without them. Funny how soon we forget. 

To all my dear MSW family, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and may God bless each of you and your families.......Keith

Edited by Keith Black

Thank you Keith. You and you family have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year as well my friend!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Keith, new member here (thanks for the newbie hello that helped me find you). I am fascinated by auxiliary sailing ships. Your Tennessee build will be a premier resource if I ever get a big one started! You have so many great ideas and techniques that I will adapt for some small auxiliary kitbashing projects I have planned. Your smokestacks are going to save me some work, but I don't think I could master your custom ventilation cowls -- quite some skill there. Thanks for sharing!

(FYI, I cheated after reading the first hundred or so posts and started skimming your build blog to get to where I could reply) 😃 

Happy Holidays.

BrianK

Thank you, Brian, that's very kind of you. It's good to have you along to share the journey, If ever I can be of help, please ask. I may not know the answer but I bet I know who would. 

Edited by Keith Black

Brian and Brian, thank you for your kind comments and thank you to all for the likes.

As i neared working on the mast off ship my search intensified for a Workmate, model 79-025, 8 inch table top vise. I've seen this vise used  in other build logs and it looked like just the ticket. I was checking eBay the other day and low and behold there was a new, unused, still in the original box, buy it now listing. I jumped on it like a chicken on a Junebug. It was less than $50.00 including shipping. I received it today and there is a price sticker of $19.95 on the box. I don't know if that's the original price as a printed sticker on the box from Black and Decker to the hardware store in Federal Way is marked with a 1980 date. 

All the yards have dried after their poly bath. Yesterday I drilled out all the block holes so the yards are ready to rock and roll. 

0459ABE1-6D52-4E5D-873B-1B70261A69A8.jpeg

AFD5E01C-CF70-42B3-AB30-661B2E70113A.thumb.jpeg.4e9677a45717de0fc9257874e647b17a.jpeg

22543F6A-B0D8-47CF-88E5-1B852DFF9DFA.jpeg 

Pieces parts are still in stapled clear bag. I'm pretty stoked, let work on the mast begin! 

Edited by Keith Black

Very interesting tool Keith. I use Pana-vises and old General Vacu-Vises on my benches but that B&D looks interesting for wide jaws... It also looks like you could interchange metal jaws on that B&D if you wanted. That would be a nice trick to have..... The reason I also use a Vacu-Vise is the metal jaws. My Pana-vises are newer and have plastic jaws. Fine for model building, but not so good for soldering.....

There are also some interesting gooseneck grip solutions from the electronics industry that I would think would help with rigging too. I may be jumping the shark here if that solution is already well known.....

Keith,

I have one of those Workmates that I have been using for years. If memory serves me right, it was around 1984 when I got mine. It still gets plenty of use, especially as a hull clamp. It fits nicely around the keel and allows you to lean the ship in all different directions. Good find!

-Brian

BrianK, jump that shark. Which gooseneck grip did you think would be of help? I'm always looking for help, never hesitate to offer up a tip or a possible solution.