HMS Atalanta 1775 by tlevine - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Danny, scary that we had the same issue.  After I discovered the problem I simply walked away and did nothing on her until the next day.  Of course, then you are second guessing yourself.  I remeasured both sides bow to stern and found no other issues other than a slight rise at the stem, which will be dealt with when I frame the forecastle deck.

Well, Druxey, I guess you simply can never go on holiday again!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Now that I was happy with the elevation of the quarter deck clamp, it was time to finish the quarter deck transom.  The middle and inner counter timbers fit into slots on the aft end of the transom.  The slot has to be cut at an angle fore and aft as well at side to side because of the shape and slope of the counter timber.

post-262-0-28212900-1405118531_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-13151900-1405118532_thumb.jpg

The upper face of the transom is shaped to the curve of the quarter deck beams.  A rabbet is cut into the fore end to accept the deck planking.  The extensions on the ends of the transom are for the waterways.  Everything was going well until I discovered that I had cut the top of the transom too thin.  Luckily, I cut the rabbet to the correct thickness and so added a thin layer of wood to build up the aft portion of the transom.  This line can be seen looking from the stern but will be covered up by the stern planking.  The last two pictures show everything glued up and brass bolts inserted into the feet of the counter timbers.  I will touch-up these bolts with black paint after final sanding.

post-262-0-66283200-1405118532_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-98167300-1405118533_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-43280100-1405118534_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Druxey, thank you for your astute observation.  When I saw the photo I went back and measured everything...again.  The angle of the photo is part of the problem; the difference is actually barely noticeable. The position of the quarter deck transom is correct.  The starboard end of the wing transom is lower than the port, giving the illusion that the quarter deck transom is uneven.  

Toni

How many times over the years has Murphy's Law been around in this hobby.  As a result we always have to look over our shoulder and double check everything to make sure he is not around.  When my nephews were still in elementary school one of them brought me a kit of a Pt109.  Nice kit for the time and asked me to help him build it.  I spent the next few weeks of vacation helping him out.  Murphy showed up when I was not looking.  I was showing him how to detail with a brush and left the room.  I came back and he had switched from a bottle of testors enamel to their bottle of liquid glue.  Needless to say I am not sure whose face was more surprised his or mine.  When you are 7yrs old it is all a game. :o

David B

I have a scintilla of doubt, Toni: could it be that the model is leaning slightly to starboard on its baseboard? Sorry to be OCD about it! I'll shut up now.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey, I think we are all at least a little OCD if we participate in this hobby.  I went back and remeasured everything again.  It appears the last time I corrected the elevation the pieces shifted when I clamped them.  So I unglued everything, remade the aft starboard deck clamps and rebuilt it yesterday.  To prevent the same problem from happening again I glued the quarter deck transom in place and then added the deck clamp after the transom was secured.  No pictures yet, but I am much happier with the results.  I appreciate you and everyone who alerts me to problems.  As you know, when one looks at something for a long time you stop seeing the problems until they are pointed out.

Toni

I sometimes view my work in a mirror. Things can pop out at you that way. Glad you've corrected what could be a huge headache down the road!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Next on the agenda is the helm port.  I worked on this while the stern was being rebuilt  so the corrections will not be evident until the next posting.  

The helm port is a opening in the counter to allow the rudder to pass into the ship.  It needs to be large enough to accommodate the rotation of the rudder.  It is comprised of three pieces, two side pieces and a chock and in construction is very similar to the bowsprit chock.  (Loosely translated as a right royal pain in the stern.)  At first glance you would say "two straight pieces and a chock, what's so hard about that?"  The straight edges' lateral pieces are cut an an angle to match the taper of the sternpost and the cant of the inner counter timbers.  Once that is set, the chock was started. The chock not only has the same side angles as the lateral pieces, but must also lock into their top edge.  After I was happy with the fit, I traced the curvature of the inner counter timbers onto the over-sized pieces and sanded in the top and bottom curvature off the model with a Dremel.  The opening in the helm port is perpendicular to the water line.  The aft end of the chock was left rough at this point and will be finished when the knuckles of the counter are shaped.

post-262-0-00359600-1405338164_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-41151300-1405338165_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-97296400-1405338165_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-44709400-1405338166_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-28391600-1405338167_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlevine

Toni

Toni? This might sound like a silly question but I have to know.  Are you working from a template that you drew up or are you freehanding?  If freehanding you have more courage than I.

David B

David, I made a template of the space between the inner counter timbers to give a general outline for the piece of wood to cut.  Next, I sized the piece to fill the entire space between the timbers, cutting the opening for the stern timber.   I made sure the wood was thick enough to accommodate the inner and outer curvatures.  The opening for the rudder was drawn on the piece as were the cuts for intersection with the chock.  After cutting away everything aft of this point I was able to make the hole for the rudder and install the side pieces. The chock was formed by careful fitting and refitting and refitting.

Toni

A belated thank you Remco.  And thank you everyone for the likes.

A little progress has been made.  In order to fit the counter planks the ship had to be "launched" from its building board. This marks the first time I have removed it from its home since fairing the exterior of the hull over a year ago.  No champagne was wasted in the launching but I did toast it with a little homebrewed IPA.  I have also done a little more fairing of the lower transoms and cut off the aft ends of the ribbands.

post-262-0-72847100-1405996431_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-31826000-1405996432_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-84592500-1405996432_thumb.jpg

The lower counter was covered with five rows of planks.  These are cut to shape rather than attempting to edge-bend them. The planking started next to the stern post and progressed outwards.  The exact shape of the cut-out on the outermost plank will await fabrication of the rudder.

post-262-0-21500000-1405996431_thumb.jpg

There are a few points in every build where decisions need to be made which will impact everything else going forward.  I am at one of those points.  I have decided to attack at least some of the hull planking next.  The decisions to make are: how much to plank, what materials to use and what finish to apply.  I will be leaving the starboard side with ribbands and hairpins.  The port side will be completely planked.  The main wales will be castillo that will be colored black.  I made test pieces using india ink, archival marker, ebony stain (oil and water based) and paint.  Ink is very messy but dyes the wood well.  I found the archival marker too time consuming but it does a good job of dying the wood.  Regular marker will bleed with oil based finishes.  The castillo is to dense to take up stain readily.  I have opted to paint the wale black with Poly S model railroad color Engine Black.  I used this same approach with Hannah.  I am still uncertain about the rest of the planking.  It boils down to aesthetics...  Two colors vs. several.  I am leaning towards only two colors but I'm a girl so I have the right to change my mind at any time. :rolleyes:

I measured the top and bottom of the wale from the plans and marked the points on the hull.  I then ran a row of pin striping tape above and below these points and faired them to a smooth run of planking.  

post-262-0-63059300-1405996433_thumb.jpg

Toni

It sounds promising, Toni.  I like the choices in wood although I'm partial to swiss pear on the planking.  :)  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, although I like the look of unsteamed pear, I find swiss pear too pink for my taste.  I am going to cut some planks of pear, holly and pau marfin (in addition to costello) and see what I like best.  David, I didn't say the paint was bought recently ;).  It is left over from my Victory build so it must be at least 10 years old.

Toni

Really gorgeous work Toni.  I'll be curious to see what wood/finish choices you decide on, as I'm going through the same considerations on my Pegasus.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Toni, Amazing work , very impressive . she looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice Toni,

I think two or three colors is enough for my tastes, maybe boxwood above the wales and holly below, should contrast well with the black wales and my Swiss pear, that's what I'm thinking anyway.

Ben

Thanks, Pete.  Mike and Ben, I will make my final selections in the next few weeks.  The first order of business will be to install the wales.

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since I have posted anything new...but I have an excuse.  I was performing nautical research in the Tetons and Yellowstone.  For you non-US folks, these are two national parks adjacent to each other in the Rocky Mountains.  First I had to research the types of water craft used on Jackson Lake.  This photo was taken from our campsite.

post-262-0-97902600-1407457875_thumb.jpg

We had rain and so drove up to Yellowstone.  We had never seen Old Faithful and decided to act like tourists.

post-262-0-88339300-1407458014_thumb.jpg

There is a lovely grand hotel called the Yellowstone Inn that overlooks the geyser.  It was built by the railroad in the '20's to promote travel in the West (which had to occur via rail since there were few passable roads).  Walking back to the car I looked up under the eaves and saw...compass timbers!

post-262-0-80544100-1407458257_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-82118500-1407458255_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-90628200-1407458256_thumb.jpg

So much for the nautical research.  The rest of the time was spent hiking and enjoying a phenomenal wildflower display.

post-262-0-78513400-1407458666_thumb.jpg

Toni

Looks like a wonderful "research" trip Toni.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

A breath of fresh air and a chance to unwind and enjoy god's beauty is a must for all.  I am glad you had a great time Toni.

David B

Thanks everyone.  The first strake of the main wale has been installed.  I hope to finish it over the weekend.  Pictures forthcoming.

Toni

Excellent research.  I have a mental image of you dickering with the desk clerk and manager about buying one of those compass timbers. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)