Imai 1/80 USS Susquehanna

RickyGene

Imai is no longer producing kits.  But you can luck up and find now and again.  Here is one such kit.  Imai of Japan 1/80 scale.  That works out to a hull over 51" long.  The kit is made up of wood, plastic, brass and white metal.  The instructions are in Japanese but the drawings are easy to follow and one can spend the time to translate.  This is the largest wood kit Imai produced in this series of kits.

Imai 1.jpg

Imai 2.jpg

Imai 3.jpg

Imai 4.jpg

Imai 5.jpg

Imai6.jpg

Imai7.jpg

Edited by RickyGene
correction

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Imai is Woody Joe's predecessor. They generally made kits in larger scales and sizes than Woody Joe does now (except for the Shin Nippon Maru kit, which is slightly longer than this Susquehanna kit). I wish there were still this and the 1/50-scale Kanrin Maru kits available.

Woody Joe makes great kits, but nothing is more impressive to display than a large scale ship model!

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

10 hours ago, James H said:

Wow, I've never seen that kit before!

Maybe one day you'll build it here?

I remember this kit from back in the day and others.  Of course, back then my pay grade would not allow such a purchase.  I did however purchase one of their smaller Cutty Sarks.  I did come across another of Imai's Big Kits,again a Cutty Sark.  But I elected to purchase the Susquehanna instead.

And of course the price of the Cutty Sark was $600.00 and I paid $280.00 f/the Susquehanna.  It is my plan to build this monster and I promise I will post a build thread here when I do.

Rick

USS_Susquehanna2.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

35 minutes ago, catopower said:

Imai is Woody Joe's predecessor. They generally made kits in larger scales and sizes than Woody Joe does now (except for the Shin Nippon Maru kit, which is slightly longer than this Susquehanna kit). I wish there were still this and the 1/50-scale Kanrin Maru kits available.

Woody Joe makes great kits, but nothing is more impressive to display than a large scale ship model!

I am honored to have you to reply to the thread.  I have followed your blog and enjoyed many of your past projects.  It was you who turned me onto Woody Joe kits.  I have only built one of their small day boat kits and did order one of those outstanding little saws.  I was surprised to learn that Imai was Woody Joe's predecessor.  I remember some of their kits with great fondness.  I am afraid we shall never see plastic kits like those again.  Then I discovered they also produced wood kits.  I was just getting started building in wood at that time and could only afford the smaller kits.  But I did so want one of those huge boxes that contained all that goodness called a scale ship.  One never knows, the 1/50th Kanrin Maru may will turn up somewhere.  I have not seen the USS Susquehanna for many years, and then one day, there it was on eBay!

Rick

n4eYK8L.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

Awesome kit! I have the IMAI version of the Winston Churchill. I believe it's now produced by Woody Joe as the look very similar/identical maybe.

I remember this kit as well, I always have liked the hull lines of the Last Lion.  I never had the Imai version, but I did the Billings Boat one.  That was a un-usual build.  You build 2 sides and then join the two to make the complete hull.  But all in all, builds into a fine desk piece.  The Woody Joe version does remind me of the Imai kit.  What scale is yours and do you plan to build.  If so, rest assured, I will most definitely follow.

Rick 

Neophyte Shipwright

To anyone wishing to build a USS Susquehanna, you can still do so.  Woody Joe produces this kit in 1/120th scale.  Is as the norm for them, everything about the kit is of the highest quality.  Their version is of the refit that shelled Costal Forts off the North Carolina cost and other Civil War Engagement's.  When I checked on the Web Page f/Woody Joe I found the kit for around $430.00 USD.  The Imai version is of the early version as used to take Cmdr Perry to Japan to get a treaty signed to open trade/commerce with Japan.  That in itself is a very interesting story.  I am sure many here have seen the Movie "The Last Samurai", the results of the treaty!

A Footnote:  Tamiya produces a small gear box that can be installed in the Woody Joe kit that makes the stern wheels rotate.

l_uss-susquehanna-01-2.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

Oh yea, nice kit.  I saw the same kit you are talking about as well.  Also seen another on the web and that was the one I was referring to f/$600.00

I believe I was mistaken on my comment about building the Winston from Billing Boats.  I believe I was referring to a Bluenose build!  How about some what's in the box shots if not too much trouble.  Thanks for sharing this.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

• 2 months later...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 years later...

Matrix, see my post above yours.   There's a place to put it up for sale.  I'd suggest list it as "best offer".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, matrix2004 said:

I have an imai 1/50 scale to sell

Never been opened 

many idea how much it’s worth? 
there is nothing to compare it with for sale 

thanks 

I think you must mean 1/150 scale. I've seen them listed for anywhere between roughly $80 and $250, so basically whatever you can get for it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane