Recommended toolkit for beginner

Hi all I'm thinking of attempting my first model ship. I've decided on the Artesania Latina – Swift as my first model. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a toolkit I could purchase which would contain most/all of the tools I would need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First question is what kind of tools might you already have around the house somewhere? Craft knife? Sandpaper? You may already have some of what you need.

Second thing is, you don't need a huge assortment of tools to get started. Just remember that your three basic tasks are measuring, cutting, and shaping/forming. Some tools for these tasks are essential; others are nice to have but not absolutely required.

Third thing is, it's normal to acquire tools as you go. Some will be new and exotic to you, but others may just be better versions of something you already have. Thus, many modelers eventually wind up with many tools that they find themselves no longer using.

Fourth, tool combos can be a nice way to get started (I started with one), but you may be paying for tools that you will rarely and perhaps even never use. But, for what it's worth, I started off with a combo tool set intended for model railroaders -- it just seemed like it had more of the tools that I would actually use. I think I got pretty good use out of it, though its contents have long since been subsumed into the greater collection I now have on hand. Buying a similar set won't set you back too much.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

11 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Just remember that your three basic tasks are measuring, cutting, and shaping/forming.

Very true. There is a current thread on $1000+ milling machines that many of us feel is almost as necessary for life as oxygen. Yet we have built many models without one...I d say just start building using whatever you have. Do start a log. As you progress, you will know what more you need/want/would be very nice to have. (It will be a long list).

Regards

Vaddoc

Have a look here in the articles database: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php

The first four articles are probably what you should read.  Especially read the 4th one down about tools to avoid.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, James H said:

I think I built my first models with the following:

• steel rule
  • cork sanding block and sandpaper
  • scalpel knife
  • 12" steel rule
  • fine tweezers
  • pin pusher
  • steel set square
  • jeweller's files
  • toffee hammer
  • long nose pliers 
  • small clamps
  • pin vice and assorted small drill bits
  • Amati plank nipper

Hope that helps.

Where do you get the pin pusher? I have the pin vise but it will not drill into the plywood frames.

59 minutes ago, Emmet said:

Where do you get the pin pusher? I have the pin vise but it will not drill into the plywood frames.

I have no experience with this specific one but agesofsail.com has at least this one: https://www.agesofsail.com/ecommerce/hobby-tools/amati-tools/am7399-amati-new-nail-nailer.html

You may have to try different search terms to find the right tool. Model expo may have something as well. Ordering from Cornwall models in the UK can be a good idea if you have time; I have found their shipping costs to be very reasonable.

I know better then to click on threads like this...  invariably someone suggests something I "need" and invariably Im left poorly explaining the arrival of a new package to my better half. Oh well, there are worse vices to have...   speaking of vices...  have you got one yet?   I good keel vice is always handy. 

2 hours ago, Justin P. said:

speaking of vices...  have you got one yet?   I good keel vice is always handy. 

I've not found a better keel clamping vise than my trusty old Zyliss vise. These were originally designed by the Swill military for field use as a portable vise and clamping system. The are incredibly versatile and developed something of a cult following. They were (are?) only sold at trade shows, usually by one of those fast-talking guys in a booth with the microphone around his neck saying, "It chops, slices, dices, blah, blah, blah." You can get the second generation model on line at http://www.homeshow.co.nz/accessories.html, but I've heard rumors that theses guys are now having them manufactured in China and they aren't as good as the Swiss-made originals from the sixties and seventies. (There are also a variety of knock-offs around, which are probably suspect quality-wise.) They show up on eBay regularly, some even unused in the original packaging, and can be had for around a hundred bucks. They weren't ever cheap because they were so well made. They won't replace a big hunk of cast iron on the end of your heavy workbench, but they will hold just about anything in any position anywhere that you could possible want. Carvers, pattern makers, finish carpenters, and other niche craftsmen love them. Their portability is a big plus for modelers who sometimes don't have space for permanent bench set-ups. Google "Zyliss vise" and you'll find plenty about them on line.

If you get one, make sure you get the "turntable" accessory and all other parts to the system (pictured on the website above. (The turntable part is essential for optimum keel clamping range of motion.) They're the sort of thing that gets sold used because somebody bought one on impulse and never used it much. Essential parts can go astray easily, so make sure you get the whole thing if buying on eBay, although replacements are available on line at the site above. The keel-clamping set-up is shown at 4:09 on the video below. You can turn a hull every which way you want with it and it's a lot sturdier than the overpriced  "panavise" suction-cup base jobs the hobby outfits sell. It can also be set up as a drill-motor powered wood lathe and a drill press for Dremel-style rotary tools and plenty of other neat tricks. It won't replace a real lathe or drill press, but for what it is, it'll probably get the job done for small scale work. Surprisingly, it seems a lot of today's modelers don't know about them.

Edited by Bob Cleek

2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I've not found a better keel clamping vise than my trusty old Zyliss vise.

Interesting!   I’ve not seen that setup before.   I just have this, but still find that I use it quite a lot without marring or other associate problems.   You do have to be careful though with how much pressure you’re applying so as not to snap off a chunk of your model....