How do you organize your x-acto blades, knives etc?

I'm trying to clean up my workbench before Christmas and I'm struggling with the numerous X-acto handles, blades parts etc. in various locations. I would like some way of easily organizing all of these but haven't got any really good ideas. I have some of the wooden box sets that hodl some items but the plastic inserts aren't very secure and fall out, plus I'd like to have everything in the same place. I'm sure many others have dealt with this so does anyone have any good ideas or pictures of how to store these?

1 hour ago, gsgreene said:

I'm trying to clean up my workbench before Christmas and I'm struggling with the numerous X-acto handles, blades parts etc. in various locations. I would like some way of easily organizing all of these but haven't got any really good ideas. I have some of the wooden box sets that hodl some items but the plastic inserts aren't very secure and fall out, plus I'd like to have everything in the same place. I'm sure many others have dealt with this so does anyone have any good ideas or pictures of how to store these?

The old wooden box sets (which always had a lot of tools in them for which one had no use whatsoever!) had wooden separators instead of the cheesy plastic ones we see now. You might build some wooden dividers into your wooden boxes and consider throwing the plastic ones out. Good storage keeps everything in its place and makes for much more efficient working. Without it, I spend way too much time looking for a tool "I know I laid down here somewhere." I find machinists' tool chests perfect for storing categories of small tools, which makes sense because that's what they are designed for!

Eighty bucks at Harbor Freight:: https://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html?cid=paid_bing|*PLA+-+All+Products+-+Higher+Sales+Items|New+Products+-+(4)+Price+%2450-70|94538&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=4mLmZpFk|pcrid||pkw||pmt|be|pdv|c|slid||product|94538|pgrid||ptaid||&pgrid=1163283597023480&ptaid=pla-4576304837641946&pcid=368003290&msclkid=bfcde081e89815480ca9bd70c4653336

94538_W3.jpg

520B__69365.1557776859.jpg?c=2&imbypass=

Tool chests come in a myriad of configurations, many "stackable" on rolling cart bases and at many price points. The good ones aren't cheap, but nothing good ever is. For modeling purposes where we aren't going to be loading them up with hundreds of pounds of steel machine tooling and the like, for which the good ones are designed, the lighter and less expensive models will serve without requiring taking out a second mortgage. (Costco sometimes has quite good stainless steel "house brand" models at excellent prices. Harbor Freight has lots of options at, well..., Harbor Freight quality, but a decent enough value at their low prices and suitable for modeling purposes.) Proper tool storage is essential to good craftsmanship and a good tool box is as important a "tool" as any. The less time "looking" and "searching," the more time working. Spending the money on a good rolling tool cart may not be as exciting as spending it on a "sexy" tool, but your tool box is the one tool you will use every time you use any other tool you store in it. And if you live with other people in your household, the locks on most tool chests come in very handy. :D

MP-297XB-2805XB-360B-600x600.png

Edited by Bob Cleek

I use a couple of wooden test tube holders, they work great for xacto knives, files, paint brushes, pencils, etc., and don't take up much space on the work bench.

Also, magnetic knife holders work well for larger tools - keeps them visible and handy if hung on a wall.

I use a 3 drawer wooden art supply organizer.  Just the right size for xacto knife handles and blades.  Available in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 drawer versions.  Take the time to apply wax to the drawer runners to ensure smooth operation.

https://www.displays2go.com/P-22078/Art-Supply-Organizer-3-Beechwood-Drawers

Also available from Amazon and Jerry's Artarama .

image.png.6035adc313045c8e4b17b667f6db16ec.png

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

1 hour ago, grsjax said:

I use a 3 drawer wooden art supply organizer.  Just the right size for xacto knife handles and blades.  Available in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 drawer versions.  Take the time to apply wax to the drawer runners to ensure smooth operation.

https://www.displays2go.com/P-22078/Art-Supply-Organizer-3-Beechwood-Drawers

Also available from Amazon and Jerry's Artirama .

image.png.6035adc313045c8e4b17b667f6db16ec.png

I look at this and know I need one.... price is reasonable too.  But I live in Canada and the currency exchange is brutal. Now I can do with out.........

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

For you workbench and ready access:

A block of Styrofoam 2 inches thick -  The length and depth your choice -  glued to a base of 1/2" plywood.  

Liquid Nails or maybe PVA to glue it -  I know hot glue does not work and organic solvent based adhesives may melt it.

My local Home Depot has  1' x 2' x 1"  or 2' x 2' x 1" craft and project sized pieces,  so you do not need a 4' x 8' sheet.

Make holes or slits = ready access,  will not dull edges  I have more than one.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I have a set of similar to what Bob Creek showed (Gerstner branded).  One of the small drawers holds my blades (in the plastic tubes or boxes as I buy in bulk) and the handles.  I won't store a handle with a blade in it.  The only ones with blades are on the workbench with a piece of masking tape on the blade.  I've had some nasty cuts in the past storing blades on the handles. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 hours ago, grsjax said:

Have you looked at Amazon Canada to see if they have them?

ref=dp_cerb_2

Yeah,... double the cost with additional shipping charges.  My  empty soup cans will for now...............

Edited by Ponto

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

4 hours ago, Altima211 said:

Wow. 270 $ canadian box at amazon.ca. And 24 $

Hadn't realized how expensive things are in Canada.  Found a 3 drawer on Amazon.ca for Can $43 but there as an additional $25 in "import fee" and shipping.  What is an import fee?

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

I have a tin pot where all sharp things go upside down. Also a small cardboard box for drilling and cutting related stuff, one for general stuff, one for sanding related stuff, one for rope making and so on...An organised chaos but tidying up is quick and when looking for something I know where to broadly look. Of course from time to time I do lose things that resurface later on.

I use cardboard tubes or 1 1/4" PVC pipe of assorted heights, glued to a flat base.  Vertical storage takes up much less space on my limited work bench.  Cost = $0.

Maury

On 12/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, gsgreene said:

I'm trying to clean up my workbench before Christmas and I'm struggling with the numerous X-acto handles, blades parts etc. in various locations. I would like some way of easily organizing all of these

I had this problem ... so often!

I kept all the small tools in small different tool chests.

Finally, I decided to regroup all the small tools in the same chest.

Now, everything is at the same place in a cherry wood chest.

Xacto blades are in small plastic "pouch".

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The big problem with one drawer is his height. Most of the small tools are, obviously small, often below 1/2 inch. Ideally there will be 1 layer of tools in a drawer. More than one would not be be user friendly.

As an example, if 1 drawer is filled with tools of 1/2 inch of height in a 2 inches drawer: it means, that for every drawer, 1  1/2 inch will be lost for every drawer.  This space is costly and it is lost!

With this cherry chest, 16 drawers of about 21 by 21 inches give a surface of about 50 square feet. The blue chest is for heavy metal tools and the surface is even bigger.

We need tools... and we also needs a lot of drawers.