HM Cutter Alert by VTHokiEE - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

8 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Slight update, I was able to use a knife to slice off the PE and then a little bit of acetone to soften the epoxy and get all the parts separated. I’m currently cleaning them up and repainting and hopefully this will all work out... 🤞

Hope all works out  for you mate, fingers crossed it will.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

7 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

I have this problem where I get super focused on trying to do “A” and then accidentally make a mess of “B.” It’s definitely something I need to be careful of in the future. My current issue (and pardon the poor quality photo) is that I put the winch on backwards ☹️.

I've done that more than I'd like to admit and I'm sure it will happen again. When that has happened to me I end up talking to myself wondering how in the world how I could have actually done that!

For example, I had a tough time getting the deadeyes on the shrouds done properly on my Medway Longboat and when they were finally done I was really pleased. The next day I was admiring them and realized that I had them upside down on the port side!  

I'll bet we've got more company that we realize when it comes to these these kinds of errors...most folks just never show it in their build logs!

I now consider it just part of the journey and try and just enjoy the ride...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

worth checking that the Bowsprit  fits ok between the standards, and runs true  thro' the  securing ring.

Great advice! Looking ahead it appears as if I need to shape the Bowspirt from an 8mm dowel... oh boy, it can’t hurt to try but I feel like I may have more success rounding a square 6x6mm length than squaring a round dowel. I’ll go take a look at your log to see about that bowsprit.

6 hours ago, BobG said:

I now consider it just part of the journey and try and just enjoy the ride...

Very true! Of course if I could find a way to stop that immediate feeling of dread when I notice my errors I’d probably be better for it 😁.

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Hope all works out  for you mate, fingers crossed it will.

Thanks! I think I have a path forward 🤞

Phew, thankfully I was able to correct my mistake and here are a few additions. I added the rudder using the kit supplied parts, but I think I may give the Syren mini-kit a go for my next build. I read in BE's Alert log that he used this mini kit but I didn't really understand the process until after I went through the rudder installation and then watched BE install it on his Lady Eleanor here.

DSC_1463.JPG.9ff0ed773780d80bba53ad40f5da1c68.JPG

After attaching the tiller I moved onto the winch and once I got to the Bowsprit Step I realized my mistake in building the winch so I broke it down and rebuilt it.

DSC_1471.JPG.82fc773cce2e5b661961f2a412719783.JPG

DSC_1469.JPG.bab87aa452bbf9ee1855bc52ca5f26b3.JPG

DSC_1474.JPG.931ca95906753707bddbae94fcfb835a.JPG

Whew, disaster averted 🙂. I started looking at the bowsprit which the instructions indicate as a 6x6mm square but as BE noted in his log the space in the step really fits a 5x5mm square. There was a kit supplied 5mm dowel that I used to check alignment which looks good but I still haven't glued the winch in. I need to get the belaying pin racks ready so I can install it all at once.

The back of my mind is now consumed with how to turn an 8mm dowel into a 5x5mm square. I think my best bet is to simply purchase some square stock, but I'm not entirely certain what wood would match the rest of the build (when I was in the hardware store the small stock had more grain than I though acceptable). Well plenty of things to do before having to attack that problem.

You’re doing a great job. We all make those mistakes. I took off the same plank three times yesterday on Cheerful, just couldn’t get it right. I always try to remember dry-fitting is our friend. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, getting these deck furnishings done took a little bit longer than I expected (but to be fair I did take a week vacation in there). The pictures mainly speak for themselves. I used Vanguard's laser cut grating set which I really liked the look of. I did have to drill out the PE handle holes a little bit in the Topsail Bitt (I think that is what it is called according to my AotS Alert book).HM_Alert_Vanguard_0056.jpg.4a64b62d2a8fa8721fd87cb6dd31fd61.jpg

I also got a little sneaky and used the position of this grating to cover the holes that were a part of my etched deck (but aren't cut out in the current revision). This did require me to file out the opening some so that I didn't see the overhang through the grating. I did purchase some buckets and barrels in case I needed them for this task so we'll see if I end up adding some more decoration to the deck if that makes sense.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0057.jpg.21cb251ca5a8ac81f4476d20d98b5947.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0058.jpg.f8b4cfd33b874a7df2c719cd4dbbaee5.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0064.jpg.27fcc945ae506e117b19f6272bc74fdd.jpg

I was pretty proud of myself for painting the hinges of the skylight black, but I kind of wish I had the skill to have replaced the PE part with a wooden one (in the future perhaps).

Finally here is where we stand tonight:

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0065.jpg.1b489587e4cdc99fd14a05e282fa440e.jpg

Now onward to the guns. I have a lot of filing and sanding to flatten the laser kerf and remove the char from the carriage pieces. This may take a while but I plan on following the work done by BE and DelF (I cannot express how glad I am that they posted these detailed steps to follow, it is such a help to a beginner).

Wish me luck (more so that the fly thread I ordered from the UK that DelF mentioned arrives before I need it)!

Superb work on your deck fittings - she's looking very trim.  They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and in that regard I intend to copy your hinges on the sky light. It's just the sort of little detail that helps bring a model to life.

I look forward to your gun rigging - I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Excellent work my friend  - she is looking superb, full credit to you.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Your deck fittings are superb, really nice work. Those small details may not show on their own but collectively they add a great deal of professionalism to the overall look. They help make it all come alive.  Like Derek I’ll be stealing, I mean adapting many of these to Flirt when I get to her. Well done!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 6/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, VTHokiEE said:

some "nice" brushes on order

An 18/0 brush for these small touch ups is your friend. 

Regards,

Glenn

Thanks for all the likes and comments!

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

An 18/0 brush

I ordered a few of these and a few assorted sizes from Rosemary Co in the UK (I feel like almost everything I've been ordering lately has been from the UK; if they had some beaches like FL I might be interested in relocating 😄).

I've been working on my cannons and had a question. I started cleaning up the carriages with a file and assembled them.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0067.jpg.175ac3268a689f29899010b81921a9bf.jpg

The kit doesn't come with quoins (at least I think that is what they are called) and I felt that the guns were too elevated so I tried my hand at scratch building one to see how it would look. I unfortunately couldn't get the handle centered, so I may toss this one (realistically, I'll probably make a handful extra and see if I have any better luck centering the handle and toss the extras). This is quite the closeup, so you can see where I'd need to touch up the paint on the handle. I took a page from BE's book and used a blob of PVA to make the handle. I dipped the tiny nails that come with the kit for the first planking into PVA. Once the glue dries I painted it black and trimmed of the rest of the nail. I also contemplated simply using the block with no handle, any thoughts? I don't think the AotS diagram showed a handle if that makes a difference, but I'm not inclined towards complete historical accuracy for this build.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0073.jpg.f8b737c24c569765da546f391991cebf.jpg

This view of the rear shows the off center drilling 🙁.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0076.jpg.3c8eab4b1dfc6e543ab6449b8f141cdc.jpg

Finally, what is an appropriate elevation for the gun? Does the below look reasonable?

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0075.jpg.8baf07f0aac7ec0e3768d05c7b485bf4.jpg

I've also received my shipping notice on the fly thread recommended by Derek (also coming from the UK) so I'll be able to start on the rigging once I finish all of these carriages up.

Thanks for following along!

14 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

if they had some beaches like FL I might be interested in relocating 😄

We have some great beaches but I can't vouch for the weather 🌧️⛈️😁😉

Nice work on your guns, everything seems to be coming together 👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

15 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

what is an appropriate elevation for the gun

Quoins is what they are called and they would have a handle - with such tiny guns I'm not sure how essential that is. In my view not having the handle but including the quoin is fine, it's also a nice touch if you included them, either works.. It's also likely they are necessary to have in order to adjust the elevation. My view on gun elevation is what looks best with it sitting in the gun port. But check them all before finishing. The gun ports may vary in height based on the curve of the deck. You're photo looks fine - I think as long as they aren't pointed below 90 degrees whatever looks good and fits the gun port works. The ship the cannons are aiming at is probably level with the ship they are on, so......

You're painting is nice and precise - always an important point.

Regards,

Glenn

30 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Finally, what is an appropriate elevation for the gun? Does the below look reasonable?

I think they look good in your pic..

What I feel is important on a model, it that it doesn't look too close to upper or lower port sills..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

32 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I think as long as they aren't pointed below 90 degrees whatever looks good and fits the gun port works.

16 minutes ago, Gregory said:

What I feel is important on a model, it that it doesn't look too close to upper or lower port sills..

Thanks! I'll put that carriage on the ship in the various spots and see how it looks before gluing them on.

I thought I had a great idea to make assembly line quoins, then I cut them too narrow and split 3 in a row trying to drill out a hole for the handle so back to doing them one by one for now. I have two cannons "completed" until I get to the rigging so I placed them on a deck for some pictures that I thought I would share (boy does everything look rough under a macro lens though). I have broke my two spare PE cap squares before figuring out a better method for shaping them (off model with a block that I filed a half circle into and using a metal rod that I had from a PE rolling kit from when I did some Metal models, not perfect, but it works).

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0082.jpg.4c6c9e3858a611425d48f7935695de01.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0081.jpg.50ffb95cedc9677ef862d48ad512e721.jpg

The cannon are looking great Tim, and when you've rigged them they'll be even better. 

All in all your whole build is super 😃😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

30 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

(boy does everything look rough under a macro lens though).

I know this all too well! Seriously though, those canons and their carriages look excellent!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I agree  with everyone  - its really looking swell  and those canons look Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Those are some nice looking Cannon!  I do think the tiny handles add a nice touch and are worth the effort. 

My cheat is to use some small brass belaying pins cut off and drilled in. 

Regards,

Glenn

On 6/17/2020 at 9:51 AM, VTHokiEE said:

draught markings

Those look nice and I’m sure a challenge to get on so straight. 

Regards,

Glenn

The directions call for turning a 275mm piece of 8mm round dowel into a 6mm (really 5mm) square and then rounding it for the bow spirit. I bought a plane, tried my best and well it’s not square or 5mm. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I can get some 5mm square stock? And what wood I should be looking for? The kit doesn’t call out what wood the dowels were but I think I should be looking for beech or maple or...? I suppose I could get 1/4” and sand it down as well.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, glbarlow said:

Those look nice and I’m sure a challenge to get on so straight. 

Thanks! I almost lost my mind when I sent one flying off into the black hole of my garage. Thankfully, I was able to recover it, but that and having more than one float in the CA to an undesired place was enough to peg my adrenaline.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:23 PM, glbarlow said:

My cheat is to use some small brass belaying pins cut off and drilled in. 

That’s not a bad idea; the nails seem to work well enough (especially from a normal viewing distance). 

On 8/2/2020 at 3:13 PM, Edwardkenway said:

All in all your whole build is super

On 8/2/2020 at 3:27 PM, BobG said:

those canons and their carriages look excellent!

On 8/2/2020 at 8:14 PM, Old Collingwood said:

its really looking swell

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...

Small update - the un-rigged cannons are finished.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0086.jpg.7777ab7153393f17cc39c9ec3bdba090.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0089.jpg.2301c0bfa392260793efd39445dafe24.jpg

Now onto breeching lines - I took one look at the small blocks for the side tackle and decided to save those for later 😬.

27 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Small update - the un-rigged cannons are finished.

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0086.jpg.7777ab7153393f17cc39c9ec3bdba090.jpg

HM_Alert_Vanguard_0089.jpg.2301c0bfa392260793efd39445dafe24.jpg

Now onto breeching lines - I took one look at the small blocks for the side tackle and decided to save those for later 😬.

Thats looking super -  some times the cannons can look too large for the deck - but not with yours  they look really nice, sh eis coming on fine.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Superb work Tim! I'm sure you'd make a fine job of the side tackle if you decided to go for it.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

35 minutes ago, DelF said:

side tackle if you decided to go for it

I'm definitely going to go for it after I do the breeching lines. I simply need to get myself "up" for the task 🙂

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the seizings I made for the breeching line. My first thought was that the "pull back" (so much for pretending that I know terminology) part of the breeching line was too long. However after placing it next to a cannon I'm starting to think that its not that far off. What do you all think, should I keep it as is? shorten and potentially drop down to one seizing? or shorten it but keep trying until I can keep two seizings?

(BTW - I really hope that I get quicker as I go or else this is going to take me a long time - this one side alone took about 45 minutes and removed most of the blackening from the eyelet 😂).

DSC_1680.JPG.79e01b58307a48807b1c25bf7ed17b8e.JPGDSC_1683.JPG.e6f99155bab91172ce8ee543953c6370.JPGDSC_1685.JPG.c196faa456562502ef04b1a11acc04c8.JPG