After many years in the making, our Swan class 3D model developed by Denis based on The Fully Framed Model series by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert is finally available. Provided on a thumb drive, we are now able to provide 13 GB of amazing high resolution 3D renderings including the following:

Every chapter of Volumes 1-4, The Fully Framed Model, HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780 is covered in meticulous detail, covering every aspect of the build. Also included:

3D video tours of the fully framed model and the completed, rigged model (including interior tours)

Superimposed framing on completed model

Video tutorial of Dennis's frame making techniques (just a taste - not a full instructional as that would be a CD in itself)

If you are building or contemplating building a fully framed model  or are just interested in the way a in a British navy vessel, c. 1770, was actually constructed then you will enjoy this product. If you enjoy The Anatomy of a Ship series  but wish more detail was included this will be of great interest to you.

To my knowledge this is the most complete study of a contemporary ship to date. The  volume of work is too large to publish in a book thus the renderings are provided on a thumb drive. Cost of the entire compilation is $48 including postage US. Overseas customers $53. Payment via Paypal. Please direct all enquiries to dvm27@comcast.net.

Transparent_Back.thumb.png.1ec9c6ddc39c43133a0d275b1d227fe0.png1.25_Finished_SternpostAssembly_04.thumb.png.2fec78743d3f973c80881957ce3e6d79.png21.10_Starboard_Bower_and_Kedge_02.thumb.png.d8c8fc82e29d2b5b56e0e63d32ad602b.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd0186.39_Aft_Platform_Ladder_02a.thumb.png.1d0549f8ff5cd556c81ee67ebe0d9f1f.png

Edited by dvm27
addition

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I purchased vol.1 a few months ago. Am I correct in understanding that a full set of plans are still required? Will lofting frames likewise still be necessary?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Correct. It all starts with the plans. SeaWatch Books now carries the plans we used to sell. They include the shear, body and half breath along with all the lofted frames. This will build you a generic Swan class model. There are differences between ships in the class and the NMM plans show these differences. Theoretically if you wanted to build Pegasus you get by with just the SeaWatch plans and the books. But the new 3D product will make the build 1000

times easier.

More information on the build and wood required is available on our website www.admiraltymodels.com. You van email me at dvm27@comcast.net if you have any other questions.

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

That is a truly amazing virtual model! My sympathies to the guy who had to tie the knots in the netting - I hate making knots in CAD! I have a few questions.

What program did you use to make the model?

What is the file format?

Do you need a special viewer program?

If so, what operating system is it compatible with (Windows, Linux, Apple)?

Is it resident on the thumb drive or does it have to be installed on the computer?

Phil, take a look at this thread: 

there you can find the answers about software and progress. the renders are in .PNG format and any image viewer program will read them just fine. even the default one in Windows 🤣.

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

Well thank you Kevin but all the credit goes to Denis (Herask). I never dreamed that he could do what he did when I contacted him years ago!

Thanks all for your order. I am overwhelmed by the response. It will take me a couple of weeks to produce all these thumb drives but I will get them out as soon as I can.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Without a doubt, the 3D model will be of great help to understand intricate details of the construction of the Swann.

There is now a wide source of documentation to build the The HMS Swann class sloop:

Books from David and Greg

plans from the museum

and now, a 3D model.

It is almost perfect, but I would add a synthesis to all this magnificent work: for this last element, it would be a kind of  AOL series book containing exclusively plans.

I think that the plans could be extract from the work of the 3d drawings. Like this, it would be very easy to find all the plans in one place without having to search in the 4 books or in the plans from the museum.

Just received my copy and it was well worth the short wait. I’ve just dipped into the files so far but their quality is amazing - the video tours in particular are simply stunning. 

I don’t know if I’ll ever scratch build a Swan class model, but this 3D collection is worth having for its own sake. 

Well done Greg & David for bringing these to the modelling community, and of course huge thanks to Denis for raising the bar so high. 

Derek

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Derek! Those video tours are indeed spectacular

Gaetan - Our plans are available now at a very reasonable price from SeaWatch books, publisher of the Swan series. 

I discovered that the 3D files were way too large to copy and distribute on a thumb drive. However, they are easily accessible from Google Drive.  For those ordering the files once payment is received (PayPal to dvm27@comcast.net) I will send a link to access the files.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

This is a "must have " for  all boat modelers. Helps visualize the build in a way a book or blog or practicum cannot. The only problem is finding a way to display all the stuff without 3 different models- i.e. framed, planked and the "insides" displayed. A wonderful contribution. Thank you

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I understand that the PNG still images can be read by any viewer program.

How are the walk-throughs viewed - what file type? What viewer is needed? What operating systems?

I ask because over the last 40 years I have seen many proprietary video schemes sold that lasted only a few years and were no longer usable after an operating system changes. There are still a few of these floating around that require viewer programs that are not part of any operating system.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:23 PM, Dr PR said:

I understand that the PNG still images can be read by any viewer program.

How are the walk-throughs viewed - what file type? What viewer is needed? What operating systems?

I ask because over the last 40 years I have seen many proprietary video schemes sold that lasted only a few years and were no longer usable after an operating system changes. There are still a few of these floating around that require viewer programs that are not part of any operating system.

The videos are .mp4 format. Should be view-able by many programs on all operating systems, even the default video viewing programs.

Source - I purchased the collection. 

Edited by Matt H

Matt

Completed Builds: Viking Drakkar - Amati - Scale 1:50

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

• 2 months later...

Definitely a must-have for all swan class projects. The images are awesome and self-explaining. A great addon to the book series.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery