Revell 1/72 De Havilland D.H. 2

I am excited to post an aircraft build on MSW, who knew, obviously not me!  I have so many irons in the fire, but I would like to share this one.  I will change out the kit gun and engine with after market parts.

31dec2019 005.jpg

5jan2020 006.jpg

16dec2020 004.jpg

16dec2020 001.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

Welcome to the winged section  -  count me in  I have my comfy chair ready.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I got a little farther, here is the gun comparison and how I modified it to include the cooling cover.

16dec2020 002.jpg

20jan2020 007.jpg

001.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

hey there........I see you found the hanger alright ;)    love a good biplane build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow.. what a difference between the kit and aftermarket gun.   I'm following to, as I've always liked the old warbirds.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone!  This is fun!  I model trains, planes and automobiles, like the title of the movie.  Throw in ships and armor too.  I like this forum so much, but thought I had to post elsewhere for my other builds.  Not anymore!

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

Working on the interior.  The sides of the cockpit were 'REVELL c 1981' and molded on part numbers.  So I sanded that off and used a 1/32 photo found on line as a guide.

D.H.2 plan 7.jpg

23jan2020 002.jpg

3feb2020 001.jpg

Check out the little compass!

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

I tend to look for date stamps.......give you an idea of how old the kit is,  or if the molds are from another company.   Revell took over some of the old Aurora molds.  I used to work in injection molding.......some of the molds are not light........closed,  they look like a block of steel.  I find it interesting ;) 

added wire detail......very nice interior detail :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Started working on a plan to make magazine holders similar to the ones in the first picture found on-line.  It's a 1/32 scale model.  The kit only had one on the port side with no magazine detail.  I will remove it and scratch build one for each side.

D.H.2.B.jpg

23jan2020 001.jpg

I found this material at Joann's and thought it would make great scale wicker for WWI airplane seats.  I do not plan on using the pilot, but quite literally used his seat to make the seat of the chair. Unfortunately,  the thickness of the material and the detail added to the cockpit made it too big.  Oh well, I'll have to make a smaller one.

7feb2020 002.jpg

10feb2020 001.jpg

10feb2020 003.jpg

That wicker seat looks great.  Too bad it's too big.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I have some hemp thread that I will use for the top edge.  The thickness of the plastic 'tub' and the thickness of the added details, makes it tight in the cockpit.  Hopefully, the new seat will look okay once I make it and place it in there.

looks really neat  ;)    I'd test it out first though....you never know,  it might be fine.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think I finally have the gun for my D.H. 2 worked out.  I modified the Lewis gun like this.  I wanted it to resemble the 1/32 scale guns and after paint, what do you think.

7feb2020 001 - Copy.jpg

D.H.2.gun.jpg

15feb2020 006.jpg

CB kick football.jpg

My cat knocked one of my sprues to the floor and my puppy chewed on it!  This is what I have now!

15feb2020 005.jpg

It should look like this.  I may have to scratch build both frames.

5jan2020 006.jpg

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

I'm not going to like that post.   I hope the scratch build works out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Same as mark said.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Luckily you took pictures before and know what the part looked like. After seeing the stuff you have already done with this little plane I am certain that you will have no problems at all. Did you at least get mug shots of the offenders so that the rest of us can be warned what they look like? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

....and finger prints too........I never forget a paw!  our Eskimo,  Gibbs is like that.  if I drop something and don't pick it up right away,  he'll carry it off to his lair {under our bed} and destroy it.  I hope you still have that upper canopy part.......you can scratch every thing else.   if not.......well,  you'll be following her / him around for a little while  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started scratch building the airframes for the DH2.  I will use .032 inch (0.8 mm) piano wire for the frame, reshaped .080 x .080 styrene for the spares and a high E guitar string for the wires.

29feb2020 001.jpg

29feb2020 002.jpg

29feb2020 003.jpg

29feb2020 004.jpg

You may want to use a cutter with a hardened edge for the music wire. Guitar strings will nick the edges of our brass cutting tools, These old a/c are so spindly, using guitar strings makes sense.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild