18th Century Longboat by Shaz (Robbyn) - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Robbyn,

You cant beat quality material to work with but I totally get not wanting to keep spending and waiting, waiting and spending.

In my "vast" experience with basswood, I have not found any method that is 100% perfect and from what others are saying maybe there isnt anything. I have found that scraping rather than sanding works better. A REALLY sharp chisel or Exacto blade works well. It shears the fibers instead of abrading them away like sand paper does. Just hold your blade perpendicular to the surface and drag it along. You should see very fine shavings build up on the blade. try it on some scrap first naturally. Once you get the hang of it you will be amazed at how nice a finish you get compared to just sanding.  A good set of needle files will also work sometimes I have found - there I go....spending and waiting again.... 

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Wayne, you know there is always room for you... since you brought the bartender as well, I am betting the others will be sure to make room for both of you.

Sam, thanks for explaining the scraping thing. I will give that some practice strokes on the scrap wood and see if I like the result better. I am still planking, have her about half way done now in between laundry, cleaning and gardening. Hope to finish tonight. Then I can get some pictures up for Sjors.

Tim, trust me, as I was writing all that I was thinking of everything you have been telling me!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks for the prayers and good wishes everyone. So far we have lucked out, a lot more rain than normal for around here and cool temps. My garden took a bit of a beating from the hail last nite, but not destroyed thank goodness. Got some 5 gallon buckets today, so if more comes through I can cover the plants. At least we have not had any tornadoes like other areas. We have only had one warning so far, but they missed us and went north and east into Nebraska, around my hometown.

It was just really strange yesterday. It was 4pm in the afternoon and so dark out you would have thought it was midnight. The lightning show was really awesome to see, a few strikes a little closer than I cared for, but still beautiful in that strange awesome force of nature way that is both fascinating and deadly. Other half works in the oil fields here, and today 3/4 of the rigs were down because of lightning strikes.

Forecast for all this week is a chance of storms every single day. They talk about how spotty the storms are supposed to be, but so far this spring every single one has swept through here. :o  Farmers should be happy for all the rain, me, I prefer it hotter and drier, the cold and damp makes it hard to get motivated to get outside and do the things that need doing. If it doesn't dry out soon, my summer will be over before I know it, and then school will be on me full force without getting my workshop built, the dog run and kennel put in, or he new patio laid out and bricked!

Some progress to report. planking is done, this side has been scraped and sanded once with 320 grit. Not totally thrilled, but I do believe it is a vast improvement over my first attempt on the SF, so I think I did learn a few things. Hope a bit more sanding will take care of a couple depressed areas on the hull. I can't use wood filler, because that would show since she is only single planked and Randy seems to think Chuck might lose it if I put cherry veneers on her :o

post-127-0-69512000-1370393213_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn

Stay safe.

And there is that bottle of mini wax pretreatment.

Remember to take the time to enjoy the build also. You and the other half "Glide Free".

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks for the kind words on the planking, careful or you will make me blush :D I am happy with the basswood now. The surface sands very nicely, it is just the edges that get the fuzz on them, but scraping does do wonders. The conditioner seems to help as well.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looking pretty spiffy!  Stay safe!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I just started building another pinnace model.  Its the group project for my local club.  Some are using basswood and others boxwood or pear.  I am using all Holly.  Its just an experiment.  You never know how its going to look until you give it a try.  So why not...

Chuck

Thanks everyone...I am actually a little surprised at the planking job. I really feel I did learn something, oh trust me, there is still lots of room for improvement, but dang I think it is even harder a tiny little boat like this. At least on a larger model the bends and curves are much less sharp or steep. Trying to get and 1/8 inch edge bend in 1/2 inch length of planking is a pain in the patooie ;)

I so very much like the light colored wood of this kit, that is part of the reason I wanted her...I worry that the cherry will take away from the nice contrast of blonde basswood and the red trim paint color. I will see how the other side's planking looks once I get it sanded and smoothed and then decide if I want to double plank.

I am seriously considering contacting Jeff at Hobby Mill and upgrading the wood in the Syren....not the basswood for planking, most of that is covered in copper or paint, but having some boxwood or holly to hold sharp edges for all the deck items I think might make for a nicer looking ship when it is finished.  Pocket book will determine if I go that route or not, but I am sending Jeff a message for a price quote in the meantime.

Michael, I am waiting...somewhat patiently lol. new morope order should be here by this Saturday...then I will need to wax it and stretch it...then, just waiting lol.

NO, NO, NO, Sjors...Syren is still safely tucked in her box...table isn't big enough, and no room in the living room for another one. Haven't even begun clearing the porch where my new shop will go because the weather has been too crappy. This little longboat will keep me busy at least for a couple more weeks...maybe by then the sun will shine again and then I can get things ready for the BIG move lol

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

other side is sanded and conditioned

post-127-0-44464100-1370468973_thumb.jpg

3 more sandings up to 800 grit paper, 1 last coat of conditioner

I think I am pretty darn happy with her!

post-127-0-20086400-1370468986_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You deserve to be happy.  Looks great!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Yes, you should be very happy with that Robbyn - you've done an excellent job on that planking.

Edited by gjdale

I have a question, I have gone through all the logs on this build but don't see the answer I am looking for.

I am removing the centers of the bulkheads and when I do the frames that remain are well below the top of the keel. Is this normal, or did I set my bulkheads too deep on the keel?

I know I have to sand the interior of the hull and frames, am I supposed to sand this center "rib" keel down to the height of the frames, or go even further and reduce the thickness of the frames as well?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Robbyn:

Check out Chuck's build log and look at his photos of that area. That might give you some guidance.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/629-18th-century-english-longboat-by-chuck-c1760/

Your planking is looking very good. Nice work.

Russ

Robbyn....Thats Ok...

In fact,  when you fair the inside of the hull,  take the keel down with it.  Smooth it all out.  Th eframes have to be very thin.   At the sheer they are 1/16" thick or even less.

At the keel it could be greater...but not much

Chuck

Thanks Russ, I did look at those but couldn't tell if he had sanded it all down and even, or if his broke off even meaning I had done mine wrong.

Thanks Chuck, I feel better now. Guess I have a lot more sanding to do than I thought to bring the interior down to the proper thickness :D

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

You will sand the keel down to match the thickness of the frames.  Actually, the thickness of the frames left after removing the center section of the bulkhead is a little too thick and needs to be taken down a little as well.  If you look at page 1 of my build you will see a series of photos depicting this.  One shows the frames and keel without fairing.  The next shows the beginning of the keel height being taken down.  And the last one is the completed keel and framing.  Look at the relative thickness of the frames at the sheer in the first and last picture.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

So sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded, but I think I got her where I need her. Now just need to find a way to clean up some of the glue :( and smooth up the frames a bit more. 

But today is a RIDE day,post-127-0-70601000-1370701611.gif so further work will have to wait until tonight

post-127-0-79576500-1370701721_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Looks great Robbyn :)

I don't blame you, get out when you can... this spring has been dynamite in Cincinnati and I find it hard to head to the shipyard in the basement when it's 81 degrees and sunny... so the old Florencia will just have to collect a bit o' dust while I get some vitamin D.

BTW-I ride too but my bike has 2 legs for a engine ;) and is no doubt a tad slower.

Have a fun time!

Just caught up on your build, Robbyn--she's lookin' great! Removing the BHs and sanding down the frames and a bit of the keel looks like it was a bit tricky--good thing sanding is a meditation for you... :) Yeah, these smaller boats are a challenge because of their size but they're also a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing your progress on your build!

Jay

Current Build:  Ariel