18th Century Longboat by Shaz (Robbyn) - FINISHED - Model Shipways

I pre-stretch all of my rigging line Robbyn.  Some folks do it by hanging it with some weight attached and just leaving it sit for a while.  That works fine but it's too much fun for my cat.  So I just roll out about 8 feet, clamp it at one end to a long table, pull hard and clamp the other end.  I let it sit overnight then I cut and wax it.  I try to see what I'm doing the next few days and stay ahead of it so I always have pre-stretched stuff when I need it ----- kind of like a Henry Ford assembly line.  I'm not sure if any of this is technically 'correct' but it works for me.  Perhaps some others with more experience (and no cats) will chime in here.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Al-righty Robbyn... here we go... a lot smaller but probably a lot more precise than the San Fran plus the added bonus of having the designer watch you do it... gulp! :blink:

Yes, you do tend to draw a crowd... but you're experienced and good at this stuff... looking forward to sitting back with popcorn and watching from 3rd row center. :)

You guys are a hoot! I love the excitement that comes from just knowing someone is watching and cheering, and correcting when necessary (often).

Randy, honestly, it is a bit nerve wracking knowing Chuck can peek in at any time :huh: . Does add a certain stress level to the build. I am just so hoping I can take the things I learned from the SF and put them to work here. The challenge this time is to only have to do the planking ONCE instead of 3 times lol.

Thanks Augie. No cats indoors so I will go down to the laundry room and "hang some weights from the ceiling" to stretch the rope when it gets here.

Tim...have plans for a real shipyard...and am hoping that Brynes saw is on its way...Then you have me...well...after the Syren, then off to the dark side. Although I do have my eyes on 3 other kits atm...Occre Endeavour Bark, Euro Model Mordaunt, and MS Flying fish. But, there is no rule that says I cant do kits and scratch at the same time!!! :D

I plan to be doing this until the day I die, and don't have plans for that happening any time soon, so I can dream BIG!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

'atta girl Robbyn..........most folks who get bit.......never go back.  I think it's something they put in the glue for the plywood  :)    there....I don't feel like such a walflower this time.......you've just begun.   I've never done a boat like this before,  so this will be a treat.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WOW, the biggest challenge so far is the tiny  size. I am struggling to just get those first two strakes on each side. This thing is so small there is nothing to hang on to and grip. I can't even imagine a man's hand doing this.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

While your eyes may be on several other kits. Thinking about them for a while might be a good thing. Do this Longboat build,  work on the Syren. Then you might have changed or learned things that make you favor doing something different. If you have bought several kits already then you might feel pressure or want something different. Enjoy these builds then work for there you don't need a closet full of models hanging over you, trust me I have that closet.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Hi Robbyn - Yeh - she's a dainty lil thing, but once you get the planking done you will be surprised how solid it will feel.

As for the others advice about the top of the stem piece, either pin it or wait until you break it off and leave it until later to put it back on.( thats what I did ) :P

ben 

Robbyn,

One option for planking to consider is the "garboard to sheer" option.  BobF and Toni Levine did this with great success.  Starting at the garboard and working your way to the sheer strake as opposed to doing 2 at the top, 2 at the bottom and working your way to the middle, as Chuck has it in the instructions. 

I say this because I had all sorts of trouble with the final plank.  (Of course if I had measured better, I may not have had the trouble.)  Using a bit of wood filler and keeping it below the waterline so I could paint over it was my salvation in that regard. 

By doing this, however, you have to come up with some method to support the upper bulkheads until the planking is complete.  Easy peasy.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Robbyn, I'll follow your log with great interest. I ordered the small kit this afternoon.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The reason why I placed two at the top was like you mentioned...to secure the bulkheads.  But you could just as easily use just one.  Then add the garboard.   This defines the area in between to plank so you can line off your hull at each bulkhead.  One lined off you just have to keep your planks within your tick marks reasonable well.

Chuck

Robbyn, When you start the lining off for the planks, consider one band ending at the junction of the sternpost and transom.  That way you wont have to fill in (like I had to) or make an odd bend in the plank.

Maury

Here are the promised pictures.

Have the two strakes in along the sheer line, and wow, just those two strakes do make this little thing much more stable.

Also have the garboard plank installed.

post-127-0-51984700-1370011432_thumb.jpg

Now working on some edge bends as I will plank from the keel up and see what I get.

post-127-0-23836800-1370011445_thumb.jpg

This is my first time working with basswood this thin. Although it does bend soooo much easier than mahogany and walnut, it really doesn't hold a clean edge at all. I really dislike that fuzziness along the edges.  :(  I am hoping that once planked and sanded, the wood conditioner will help tame those fuzzies.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

David, plenty of room here, pull up a chair and help yourself to the popcorn!

Buck, 7" long and 2" wide...I am NOT liking the smallness at all, makes me feel even more fat-fingered and clumsy than normal!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Wow! That roll of masking tape really adds a nice perspective to how small the boat is. Nice work!

That's an old trick.  That roll of making tape has an 18" diameter  :D  :D .

Robbyn ---  that fuzziness on the basswood can be problematic.  Hope you have better luck than I did.  I did try to sand the edges as I went along but it's hard to get it perfect.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

For the fuzzies... try on a piece of scrap, scraping.  Use a razor blade or even piece of broken glass.  The fuzzies are a downside to basswood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Al, still plenty of room here, and lots of extra chairs against the walls, help yourself :D

Mark, I tried the scraping...does even more damage along the edges, and on the top I don't know, I tried the lightest of touch, but still just seemed to tear the wood. I am using 320 grit paper and even that seems too rough. I had no idea that thin basswood like this would behave in such a way. Suppose I should have ordered boxwood or something...but dang it, why buy a kit if you always have to switch out the wood, might as well just do scratch, then you only pay for stuff once. Oh well, I will work with what I have and hope when she is planked I can get the smooth finish I want.

I wonder, what if I put a coat of poly on the strips first??? Has anyone tried that? I worry it would make it hard to edge bend, but maybe if I edge bend over size, then poly, and then sand and file the bevels on the edges?

Has anyone ever tried this?

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

LOL, probably post-127-0-13127100-1370036544.gif

...but after all she is MY build post-127-0-33250400-1370036567.gif

hey Randy, I got my Morope order today...wth...how is it that Al's diameters of the rope can be so different? I ordered what the kit said it had...the largest I ordered was the .8 because I thought I would want it for something, on something. Heck, the .8 is about right for the rat lines :angry:

I just placed a new morope order, the .8 in beige for all the rat lines, and decided to try the 1.5 in brown for the shroud lines. That will be closer to what AL provided. Nice thing is the .25 I ordered should be really nice as lanyards when I redo everything. But OMG, what a pain in the butt. Here I thought I could get back to the SF this weekend, but now I will have to wait for the new order :(

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

I am using 320 grit paper and even that seems too rough.

I used basswood for my false keel and stem and used 320 grit as well, but didn't like the results either. I have 600 grit automotive sandpaper on hand and it made the wood really smooth, but still had to do it lightly. It might be worth a try for you.

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I know Robbyn... it seems AL's idea of measurements is more of a suggestion than a 'science'. The .25mm is 1/3rd the diameter from Morope than the AL stuff. Had I known... I might have to reorder too... but the shrouds I'm using the AL stuff and waxing the hell out of it.... then comes the candle....

Each time I think of it I get that much closer to a ropewalk.... ^_^

And you're right... your ship, your decisions.... heck, it might be better with a double hull made from something like rosewood... it is a regal vessel, give it a regal hull? :huh:

Are there any issues with the MOROPE stretching out of shape over time?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Robbyn,

Noting your dissatisfaction with the basswood, and that you have only done a couple of planks, one option might be to pause, take off the existing basswood planks and order some boxwood replacements from Jeff at Hobbymill. While I agree that it seems a double whammy after you've paid for the kit, you must remember that ME has built the kit to a price point. At least if you replace the basswood with boxwood you will have a timber that you will enjoy working with and will be satisfied with the result, rather than being frustrated and unhappy. And after all, Chuck's prototype was built with boxwood. This is what I'll be doing before starting this kit anyway.

Sherry, I picked up paper the other day, and got several assortments of grits, I went all the way up to like 2200 grit and down to 60. I will get some finer paper out and see if that gives me a better edge, thanks for the suggestion.

Grant, omg, every time I turn around it is $40 for this, $100 for that...I just spent $55 on Morope, and $45 last weekend for parts to make a serving machine, that have now gone completely to waste...plus there is the wait time....if I ordered boxwood I would have to start on the Syren because I would have no build going lol.

I am going to try the finer grit paper and see what happens, if I still hate it, then I guess I can contact Jeff.

Still think I could double plank her in cherry...I have approx 500 veneer strips of it :o

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Golly - I am arriving rather late to this build!  Looks good so far, Robbyn.  I think I am going to have to stand out side and look in the window...but I did bring a friend with me!!!

smiley_bartender.gif

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Robbyn

What did you just say """but dang it, why buy a kit if you always have to switch out the wood, might as well just do scratch, then you only pay for stuff once."""

What was that you said?? LOL.. Now you know one of the reasons that I said to sit back and don't pile kits in the closet yet.

You will do well on this with the lighter sand paper or so I hope as I just started cutting out frame parts on my scratch build HMS Triton with the jigsaw and noted the same fuzz on the bottom edge and will have to deal with it without rounding the edge off. Did think of you and the minwax pre stain at that time.

Good Luck.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section