1/48 Winchelsea by Dave S

This will be my first build log and my first build not from a kit so take it easy on me. I've built several ship models from kits (both plastic and wood) and I've never been satisfied with kits. After chucking down my cash I get a kit with trash for wood and metal carvings that are barely passable or an outdated plastic kit. After reading through lots of your logs and seeing how helpful Chuck is I decided to jump in. So here we go. Got my bulkheads all cut and my slip built. Everything is just dry fit while I wait on my chapter 1 laser cut parts. Yea I know bulkhead #1 is missing, I have to re-print it and cut it again, had a little mistake on the scroll saw. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Dave Schmidt

Previous builds - Artesania latina Endeavour. Panart HMS Victory. Corel Vasa. 

Current builds - Syren 1:48 Winchelsea. Scratch build 1:48 Royal Caroline

Nice start!  You go slow and steady....but remember to have fun.  The biggest issue will be resisting the urge to speed along....just keep it slow and steady.

Welcome aboard! Follow Chucks advice and you'll be fine! 

Edited by Rustyj

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Received a package today from Chuck and got a few things assembled. Parts fit very well, I'm impressed with the accuracy of the laser cut parts and I"m even more impressed with the quality of the wood! Fantastic stuff!!

5.jpg

6.jpg

Dave Schmidt

I have to many great ships in stash to be built, but yes I would love to jump on to this escapade building the Winchelsea.
Beautiful start of the build log.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 6 months later...

I had to step away from the build for a few months. Life just got busy and I had a million things to do. Im setting up a new work area now and I'll be back on the project in the next few weeks. Ive missed building and having to look at the model knowing I just didnt have the time has been a real killer. I'll be posting progress again soon.

Dave

Dave Schmidt

I think I have a nice smooth run on the strakes. Also got the transom faired the best I can. Chuck, does the fairing on the transom look ok to you? If everything looks OK I'll plank the counter and start the whales.

20210611_193539.jpg

20210611_193515.jpg

20210611_194109.jpg

Dave Schmidt

• 4 weeks later...

I've made a little progress since I've been able to work on her some. Feels good to make wood shavings and smell that Alaskan cedar. She's not perfect but I'm happy so far. Made some mistakes but overall I'm pretty happy

20210704_192314.jpg

20210704_191952.jpg

20210704_191932.jpg

Dave Schmidt

• 4 months later...

Hows the planking coming along?  So far this model looks outstanding.   A beautiful handling of the upper planking.

Its coming along. Im sorry I havent posted any updates. I will do that as soon as I get home today. Im slacking on my build log. Ive made it to planking the inner bulwarks. I'll get back on the updates. 

Dave Schmidt

Those scarph joints were quite long...yours is nice and tight, but not nearly long enough.  It should probably be three times as long.

But really nice work so keep going.

Chuck

Chuck you have a sharp eye. I see it after comparing it to the deck plan. I don't know if I wanna change it now as I have all but the last margin planks glued on the model. As you said in the instructions, there's a good chance they won't be visible. Chock another one up to lack of experience. The problem with experience is you get it after you need it. Lol

Dave Schmidt

I agree then....but do remember this when you do them for the qdeck and fcastle.   Those will absolutely be visible.

Chuck

Chuck I was thinking about what you said about my joints being too short and I agree after looking at deck plan blueprint but I used the margin plank patterns as a guide for my joints. I snapped a pic of my joint next to the pattern. I see where the confusion happened. 

20211118_152012.jpg

Dave Schmidt

Waiting on a delivery of more cedar for planking straps on the deck so I decided to go ahead and do some chapter 5 work.

20211120_171144.jpg

Dave Schmidt

Got my rudder trunk and benches put in. Next is the cannon door lids. Ive struggled with port doors on previous models. Gonna take all the time it takes to make em right

20211123_180608.jpg

Dave Schmidt

Ships stove complete. Waiting for paint to dry to start some weathering. That stove is an awesome little kit. I'm gonna be spoiled for other models now.

20211127_211435.jpg

Dave Schmidt