IJN I-52 by CDW - FINISHED - Aoshima - 1:350 Scale - PLASTIC - Transport Submarine

10 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Not a real easy seaway to model.....

Will continue to look my friend....

Ok Craig, here's a few shots....

Choppy seas off Australia, It would be the subs operating area....

855272216_Choppyseaaustralia.thumb.jpg.5b4a2a70a28ae23d7c998608f1436503.jpg

I think you nailed the coloration.....

More....

656576403_Choppysea.thumb.jpg.1c4abaa7264fbcdb2b822d85bced7c5c.jpg

choppy-sea-7254675.thumb.jpg.94051664f3a6f77d912d1965b7ce93a8.jpg

choppy-sea-17254675.thumb.jpg.34dca12a5b723936bd4f831afea91ab2.jpg

Very foamy water with tiny ripples in the surface....

And last, what a wake looks like in such seas....

754309494_Choppyseawake.thumb.jpg.548d982edb90dad26400c43f42b6f83e.jpg

The water is still chaotic but there appears to be a foam filled trough in a wavy line astern..... It only extends about a ships length before the water churns it all up again....

Hope that helps...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

Used cotton and acrylic gel.

I like the effect Craig. I personally think it is a step in the right direction, for what ever that is worth.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Playing around with a little wave/splash effects just for the experience and experiment of it. Used cotton and acrylic gel.

That first splash is exactly what I was talking about...., given the slosh pattern you have there should be another on the port side, just about the middle between the aft gun and sternpost and a bit smaller....

Your doing well, very well... looking good....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Add some water on the bow like your picture and it will really all tie together.  I saw another builder do that on a sub and it really set the scene.  Looking fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I like the idea of your 1/700  dio  - there are plenty of kits in the scale out there.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Have you considered having water running out of the freeing ports along the side? Water flows freely through these holes as they are only there to keep air from being trapped between the pressure hull below and the free flooding deck above.

Another possibility would be to add some black smoke somewhere aft, (I am not certain where the exhaust is on a Japanese I boat) that hugs the water on each side indicating that they have just started the diesel engines to start the battery charge and the low pressure air to finish filling the ballast tanks to become completely surfaced. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno gents.....I thought it looked ok......  the water dio is good,  but in the initial pictures I liked how the model was shown,  and not shrouded in the water.   the bow does ride a bit too high,  but I liked the balance.  really nice effects ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I dunno gents.....I thought it looked ok......  the water dio is good,  but in the initial pictures I liked how the model was shown,  and not shrouded in the water.   the bow does ride a bit too high,  but I liked the balance.  really nice effects ;) 

Actually Dennis, the whole boat is a bit too high in the water... The waterline is right at the break of the hull and superstructure when in flat water and in rough seas the water will be washing over the decks on almost every wave.... The driest part of the boat is the bridge and it been described as being in a washing machine while it's agitating during rough weather.....

For a first time creating a seaway, it is excellent though.... not everyone can do a decent choppy sea their first time out....

Here it's not only decent but good job...

Quote:

For me, this was an experiment on creating an ocean-diorama type base. First time trying to do it. My focus was on the water, not the ship position in the water. To do what I envisioned doing, I would have needed either a deeper base, more than the 4 ply's of Dollar Tree foam board I used, or to have literally cut off half the ship from mid ship back to the stern. I wanted to give the appearance of a surfacing sub in rough water similar to this:

submarine-surfacing.jpg.7feac3628488239e66fcddd0c740a278.jpgR8c10882c3de7031c04714a3dab80fe98.jpg.66af4a7c468488865267120aad4fff41.jpgOIP.jpg.84a87344a158a8e0954775b6b7eb5dd4.jpg

On 12/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, CDW said:

This little project is tempting me to do some 1:700 warships in similar fashion. 

Javlin/Kevin posted a diorama scene a year or so ago that got me sucked into trying out 1/700 kits.  Definitely need an optivisor if you're going to use PE aftermarket, as the pieces are practically microscopic.  Very challenging for sure.  You can see how small some of the pieces are in my Hatsuzakura log linked below.  But doing "live" scenes in a water diorama looks incredibly cool.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

18 minutes ago, CDW said:

To do what I envisioned doing, I would have needed either a deeper base, more than the 4 ply's of Dollar Tree foam board

You got the right idea brother, a better foam base material is rigid insulation panels from the local big box store, about an inch thick can handle most seaways..... and works well in most techniques in creating one.... The foil is good for creating texture especially in a high seaway.... 

I think overall you did an excellent job for a first time experiment.... (much better than my first try) And you chose one of the most difficult seaway scenes to model.... Learning new things is also one of the fun things about this hobby... 

You did very well my friend....

Edited by Egilman

Quote: