What would you recommend for a workbench for disabled person who can only sit??

Guy

I work in a upstairs bedroom so a real workbench was out of the question when I started modeling. I went with a 30 x 60 inch folding table. There are several styles to chose from, mine looks something like the one pictured. They're relatively inexpensive, sturdy, and can be easily taken down and stored away if need be. The one pictured is off Amazon, hope this provides you with a viable option, best to you.........Keith 

image.png

Hi Guy,

I tend to spend most of my working time sitting down, but use a chair that rotates and has wheels so that I can move easily to different 'stations' on my U shaped work bench.

It's only when I need to do sanding or spray painting, say, that I stand up and move to a place (garden shed) where the dust/fumes won't drift through the house. Some MSW members use extractors to get rid of dust/fumes.

In the middle of the U is where I work on the ship, to the right is a tray of 'most used tools' and my computer (for reading MSW etc) and to the left is a mishmash of instruction booklets/plans and a tool drawer.

Good lighting is important - I use an angle poise light fastenened on to a shelf, as are a couple of smaller IKEA clip-on lights. On the subjects of shelves...you can never have too many 😉

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Richard

Edit: A relative use crutches and he has strong arms and uses either the chair he is sitting in to lift himself up or the table he is facing. If using the table it needs to be sufficiently well built to take his weight.

Edited by Rik Thistle

8 minutes ago, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

The first tool I would buy in fact would not be a workbench. , I prefer an electric adjustable height table. You can find at different prices and relatively low prices.

I was about to suggest the same.

Alternatively, you can do as I did - custom make your own bench.  As I too have a disability (walking with crutches for short distances, wheelchair for longer distances + the risk of falling over without warning) I had to think long and hard about how to improve my modelling experience.  I decided that having a bar stool set to such a height that I can easily slide on/off it will help me as I then do not need any support to get on/off the chair.  I then calculated the ideal working height for my table top based on me sitting in that chair and having all relative supports needed to keep my arms relaxed when working on tiny details - my worktop height is 95.7 mm from the floor, making sure I can sit nice and upright when workig.  It may look crude (I used CLS 90mm x 35mm / 3.5" x 1.5") but I am now much more comfortable when modelling.

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

I work in my house (not in a shed). I work at an office table/desk with a 4" deep drawer all across the front.  I have found the drawer to be invaluable in working. If strong enough it offers a lower work surface when needed, it catches small objects that otherwise would fall, it offers a place to put small tools while working, you can put plans or other reference material in it while working on the material itself...  Another matter I would check on is the capacity to clamp items such as lights and small vises to the top.  Some tables don't have enough overhang for secure attachment.

Chazz

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my work is by hand and I do it sitting. My suggestion is any surface that does not shake or wobble at a height you might write a letter. I believe the best answer is to try a few heights and see what is best. I generally find having my working surface at about elbow height works best for me, for light detailed work. If I’m using more force like sawing or planing large boards, then lower is better. Good luck and let us know what worked for you. Also there a few other folks here who work from wheel chairs here at MSW; you might wish to direct message them for advice.

I use two old wooden desks for work benches.  They provide a work surface at a convenient height when sitting and the drawers on either side are great for storing tools and materials.  I have a home made shelf that attaches to one of the desks to provide additional space.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

You might PM Betaqdave (who is a wheelchair user) here on MSW.  He had several posts about how he set up his workshop.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@Guyuti, here's an image of my chair workbench which is on rollers and works very well for my building purposes. I had a bad accident which many years ago damaged my lower back, so I have to sit in my lazy boy to work because hard chairs or stools just kill me with pain, so I designed this one and cost was about thirty bucks for materials. All the extra's was a bunch more money so I'm talking about just the table itself.

Hope it helps.

20180619_102430.thumb.jpg.db4e3e4580cc265021cb4ccb1f354aba.jpg

I'll post a complete image if you need it, it fits two inch's above my lazy boy for perfect working height. I'll try to get a better image in full if you need it.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Here is a style that intrigued me sometime back. For your needs a design such as this could be lowered and widened to accomadate your wheel chair. This particular one is quite pricey but my estimate for a DYI version is under $500. The DYI version of this was in Shop Notes or its companion sometime around 2010.

Joe

013.015_thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Thistle17

@Guyuti, here's a couple better images of the table:

3.png.7ffa8d4a42459bed5a397c5d04d8e451.png

4.png.8472872c316f9e0d320d7b1c64a5ec5c.png

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

The table Joe posted (#14) is a jeweler's bench. Good for ultra-miniature work, it doesn't have the flat surface area most model-makers need. If you can afford an electric table adjustable of height on a cantilever principle, then that is the best option - particularly if you are a wheelchair user.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

15 hours ago, Guyuti said:

. I have a lot to ponder and work out what is best for me.

I wish you well in your search. If you have a moment after you find a solution, come back and share it. While I'm curious, it may prove more useful to someone else with similar needs.

I agree with druxey, if you can manage the electric Stand/sit desks, it would probably be the best.  I am just in the process of redesigning my workspace to be able to stand or sit on a tall stool because of growing back issues. Sitting at a standard desk height and an office chair does not cut it with lower back pain and knee pain.  I am considering one of these  (amazon and Ikea have them).

BEKANT Desk sit/stand - black stained ash veneer/black - IKEA

There are crank ones that are cheaper that the electric ones ...

Darryl Jacobs

Interaction Hobbies

"I called to the other men that the sky was clearing, and then a moment later I realized that what I had seen was not a rift in the clouds but the white crest of an enormous wave."

Ernest Shackleton

www.interactionhobbies.com

www.facebook.com/railandtie

Adjustable working height is the key factor.Table height is a restriction. The easy way to get rid of this restriction is simply to have an electric adjusting height table.

If I have to shape a small part and I doit at 30 inches standard height, I will be able to do it, and the piece will be fine.

If I ca adjust the height, it will be easier to position my body. Having a better position, I will be able to do a better job, it will be easier and faster.

Also it will be very easy to position the wheelchair under the table.

Now you have done it guys! You made me search further for the hobby  bench I thought was a style that may work. It can be lowered and widened in the aperature and can be made wider in work surface area. The plan is simple and can be adapted for a wheel chair. I liked it as it was "handsome enough" to take residence in a living area as opposed to a shop environment.

Here is what I would do:

- The trestle framework can be redesigned to improve access in the knee hole area.

- Remove it all together and make the rear panel the strong back. And while your add it remove the middle shelf.

- Widen the top

- Widen the drawer storage either side

- Possibly add a bit of upper storage at the back of the top surface

It was in Woodsmith not Shop Notes.

Joe

photo-large-hd.bench.jpg

Edited by Thistle17

The problem with the carver's bench, above, is that - beautiful as it is - it has insufficient knee room for sitting. It is essentially a standing bench.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

On 1/22/2021 at 4:34 AM, Rail and Tie said:

I agree with druxey, if you can manage the electric Stand/sit desks, it would probably be the best.  I am just in the process of redesigning my workspace to be able to stand or sit on a tall stool because of growing back issues. Sitting at a standard desk height and an office chair does not cut it with lower back pain and knee pain.  I am considering one of these  (amazon and Ikea have them).

BEKANT Desk sit/stand - black stained ash veneer/black - IKEA

There are crank ones that are cheaper that the electric ones ...

Just a small note - the crank one from IKEA is very flimsy and has a lot of play, you get what you pay for.

The proper electrical (BEKANT) is pretty sturdy and I can fully recommend it, best tool in my workshop.

Note that they sell it without a tabletop as well, and you can screw on any tabletop that you like.  The office-style fiberboard top may not be strong enough if you clamp a vice on it, drill some holes, etc. Solid wood is more practical for out needs.

Guy,

You might like to have a look at the adjustable height benches made by Emir. They call their range 'Varihi'. They come in a variety of styles including traditional square beech frames or steel tubing, and are adjusted with a mechanism they descibe as a hydraulic crank. When the school I taught at refurbished our five workshops we had some of these installed in every room to support students with a wide range of disabilities and needs. They are of good quality and proved to be a very successful solution.

Graham.