Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Just awesome Sir!!

Looking to get back into the 1/400 Titanic, having enough difficulty at this scale, let alone 1/700....

I take my hat off....

(If I had a "Trilby.... ":-))

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thank you HOF.

Being thrilled with the quality and detail of the Scharnhorst from Flyhawk, I have begun to acquire their other models in this scale. I must tell you, they are equally amazing, maybe even better in some respects. Suffice it to say, I will be back in the model ship building business for quite some time to come...British aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. German battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. Japanese battleships and destroyers as well as some diorama scenes. Amazing stuff! 

IMG_0545.thumb.jpg.3487856d8784d9fa437be127aecfff79.jpgI'm very much a beginner at plastic modelling but I think Flyhawk make some of the best 1/700 models. Their detail is fantastic even without PE and their masts are fine enough to not need replacement by brass. I've mainly been building 1/700 destroyers and I think Flyhawk are considerably better than IBG, Trumpeter and Dragon. I recently finished their Battle of the Atlantic diorama and liked it a lot.  There are PE .303s for the Sunderland and the U boat is a gem. I tried to set the pieces in context rather than using their base. It looked better in my mind.

Just now, king derelict said:

I'm very much a beginner at plastic modelling but I think Flyhawk make some of the best 1/700 models. Their detail is fantastic even without PE and their masts are fine enough to not need replacement by brass. I've mainly been building 1/700 destroyers and I think Flyhawk are considerably better than IBG, Trumpeter and Dragon. I recently finished their Battle of the Atlantic diorama and liked it a lot.  There are PE .303s for the Sunderland and the U boat is a gem. I tried to set the pieces in context rather than using their base. It looked better in my mind.

Your display looks super! I agree, the only photo etch needed are the railing pieces and the steps and ladders. Maybe the radar arrays too. Their plastic parts otherwise are superior to photo etch. Even the cable reels look better than the photo etch ones. Upon magnification, the plastic cable reels are very well detailed. I do think the brass gun barrels on the larger caliber guns are an improvement, but the small caliber anti aircraft guns are great just out of the box. The plastic masts too. 

The only kit I ever built in 1/700   was a Dragon  type 42 Destrorer  RN,   I had to fabricate the front bulwarks to replicate the only version to have it HMS Edinburgh,  I never  bothered with any PE  for it as it was my first road back into modelling.

Sorry for hijacking your thread mate.

OC.

post-7946-0-03796700-1391969854.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

15 hours ago, CDW said:

Thank you HOF.

Being thrilled with the quality and detail of the Scharnhorst from Flyhawk, I have begun to acquire their other models in this scale. I must tell you, they are equally amazing, maybe even better in some respects. Suffice it to say, I will be back in the model ship building business for quite some time to come...British aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. German battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. Japanese battleships and destroyers as well as some diorama scenes. Amazing stuff! 

So,

I need to ask, are you going to do PE, Rails, Etc. with your build?

(At 1/700 it would drive me to distraction.....)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Just now, hof00 said:

So,

I need to ask, are you going to do PE, Rails, Etc. with your build?

(At 1/700 it would drive me to distraction.....)

Cheers....HOF.

Yes, I will use the rails, ladders and various other photo etch parts that came with the model. Some I will not use because the plastic parts look as good or better than the photo etch.

This is a photograph of my cousin, Edward Polk, from the little town of Oxford, Florida. He is standing between his father and mother while the photo was taken just before he set off to sea during World War II. Eddie served aboard the USS Janssen, an Edsall class destroyer, DE396.

Eddie never returned home to see his parents again after being lost at sea on15 Mar 1944 in a violent storm off the coast of North Africa. he was only 20 years old. Just this past week, a gentleman from Massachusetts whose father served aboard the same ship with Eddie and was a close friend, reached out to find me and gave me photos and written history of the ship. The photos below are of Eddie's memorial service aboard the Janssen. Eddie was the only living child of my great uncle and great aunt. There is a reason why his generation are called "the greatest generation." Such sacrifice. My uncle and aunt grieved his loss until the day they died.

I am so grateful this gentleman reached out with the photos. I am sure my aunt and uncle would have appreciated it. They never knew any detail of Eddie's loss, only that he was lost at sea.

794521349_EddiePolk.thumb.jpg.d68471e6a842d73b626ce62cda2a860d.jpgIMG_20210312_0001a.thumb.jpg.ab8a09823c62067cb60a0378606cbd7f.jpgIMG_20210312_0002a.thumb.jpg.15ce8f9077e8f0384590743db5d2320a.jpgIMG_20210312_0003a.thumb.jpg.d996fa499d4a996b8f0830bb7b8f4abb.jpg 

the gentleman must be a member or viewed the site......an amazing stroke of luck ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

56 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the gentleman must be a member or viewed the site......an amazing stroke of luck ;) 

Somehow he found my family tree on Ancestry. That's the way he contacted me, through the Ancestry personal message system. Apparently his dad had the written my cousin's name on the memorial service photos. As it turned out, the man who contacted me was a commercial fisherman in Massachusetts and is well aware of the perils of storms and going overboard in rough seas. He said that often sailors are lost this way.

Five of our children/grandchildren have birthdays in May. We had one big party for all of them today.

Starting from the right and moving left is my son, daughter, granddaughter, grandson....the grandson is holding a photo of our daughter who is in New Hampshire.

Been a long day .Swimming pool got a big workout. Lots of food, laughter, good times.

IMG_2140.thumb.jpg.966abf88b78971ef3d77a66a4b8a53d2.jpg

Edited by CDW

Yes sir, a good day to enjoy the sunshine here in the Southeast.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

It's  the best of times, with family! And thinking of those away from home!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Excellent work  - the detail in that is Amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think you might be cheating and are really building a 1/200 Scharnhorst! :blink: The detail and execution is astounding.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

After this model, I believe 1:700 scale will be my go-to scale for steel ships. It's so much more practical to display models in this scale. 1:350 battleships and aircraft carriers take up a lot of space for display, and now that technology allows such fine detail in models of this scale, it just makes sense for me and I am finding this one enjoyable having to slow down and take my time due to the very small size.

It's almost time to start putting on the railings and ladders. Lots of them. Will do some detail painting and touch-ups first before the railings.

Somewhere along the way, I managed to fat finger one of my masts and one rudder. Will take a look to see if I can find them. If not, it won't be too much trouble to scratch build replacements. That's one of the pitfalls of small models like these. It's easy to break off and lose teeny tiny parts. Maybe as time goes by, I'll figure out a building sequence that minimizes it. Right now it's trial and error.

DSCN3162.thumb.JPG.b7e23911842d381021bdea40b6637486.JPGDSCN3163.thumb.JPG.fcae7938df8d3eaf8a1a4c3986d888ee.JPGDSCN3164.thumb.JPG.e5a5bd9a1c1fa100050faec774f526d6.JPGDSCN3165.thumb.JPG.10955a48a0be4a53601369550e3c4af1.JPGDSCN3166.thumb.JPG.e1be0802018abe56dbe074e8fd14c8c0.JPGDSCN3167.thumb.JPG.d15f3b0f429bf96a3b378fd44e7d88dd.JPGDSCN3168.thumb.JPG.fcd42e8130e27ddc358de0573caa7a8c.JPGDSCN3163.thumb.JPG.fcae7938df8d3eaf8a1a4c3986d888ee.JPGDSCN3164.thumb.JPG.e5a5bd9a1c1fa100050faec774f526d6.JPGDSCN3165.thumb.JPG.10955a48a0be4a53601369550e3c4af1.JPGDSCN3166.thumb.JPG.e1be0802018abe56dbe074e8fd14c8c0.JPGDSCN3167.thumb.JPG.d15f3b0f429bf96a3b378fd44e7d88dd.JPGDSCN3168.thumb.JPG.fcd42e8130e27ddc358de0573caa7a8c.JPG 

Looking like the down hill stretch Craig

I am by no means any kind of authority, but years ago when I was trying my hand at the then fairly new 1/700 scaled ships I always held off installing the under hull and mast parts until the very end. They were no where as fine a detail as yours and of course did not have PE at all but the risk was the same.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

She is looking amazing Craig,   all the more impressive by your building skill   - like others have said  - its looks like a  really nice  1/350 scale kit not 1/700.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Really nicely done Craig. Fantastic job! 

Are you going to put it in a water diorama?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

She is looking amazing Craig,   all the more impressive by your building skill   - like others have said  - its looks like a  really nice  1/350 scale kit not 1/700.

OC.

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Really nicely done Craig. Fantastic job! 

Are you going to put it in a water diorama?

Thanks gentlemen. I don't plan to put this one in a water dio. Maybe another one down the road.

Hi Chap,

Just wondering if you "Hold your breath" attaching the miniscule bits.... 🙂

(I'm turning "Blue" for you!!)

(I did find Pink Floyd's "Breathe" helped me in the past for rigging stuff.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Working in those smaller scales, one needs frequent breaks. The breath holding and going cross-eyed working via tweezers with tiny parts. But the final outcome is well worth the  efforts.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Just now, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

Just wondering if you "Hold your breath" attaching the miniscule bits.... 🙂

(I'm turning "Blue" for you!!)

(I did find Pink Floyd's "Breathe" helped me in the past for rigging stuff.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

I'll use almost any excuse to listen to Pink Floyd...but yes, I do hold my breath for some things along with finding other convenient ways to steady the hand for precise work. Thanks for sharing the pain along with me. 🙂

Just now, Canute said:

Working in those smaller scales, one needs frequent breaks. The breath holding and going cross-eyed working via tweezers with tiny parts. But the final outcome is well worth the  efforts.

I am very much enjoying the slower pace as well as the outcome in this scale. Now I regret having sold off some really fine 1:700 scale models in the not too distant past without even attempting to build them. 

I think the newer plastic ships in 1/700 are way more finely done than early kits.  Mold making technology is so much better, especially what they call slide molds. They allow for finer dimensions, like superstructures and gun barrels.

Ken