Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Amazingly Good mate  -  did I see a set of steps with  hand rails  at this scale 😲   just don't know how you do it  - must have eyes like a hawk and fingers like a surgeon.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

the "Biz" looks the BIZ!  I didn't think there was that much detail in 1/700,  but this one is a definite mind changer!  she looks great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just now, Javlin said:

Craig this is looking really Good I have done some 1/700 but not to the extent you are going just some rails and ladders I would be blind by now! Top Shelf Stuff!! :imNotWorthy:

Thanks. I am definitely working in shorter durations with this scale. The eyes and hands need more frequent breaks away from the model. In the meantime, lost another small part today. Must have bounced far from where it was originally lost or I would have found it.

I got news from my hobby dealer that Flyhawk are coming out with some new releases in 1:700 very soon. Among them are the HMS Hood, and other various aircraft carriers. My order is in for the new ones.

On the shelf waiting for me to finish the Scharnhorst 1940 are the Flyhawk HMS Illustrious, HMS Hermes, HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Agincourt, HMS Lance, various German Uboats, and more....gone Flyhawk crazy I guess. 😄 

Beyond finishing the fiddly railings, have yet to do the seaplane (Arado) and the ship's boats. Some very tiny photo etch work on those as well. Amazing how mu detail Flyhawk was able to put into the boats and the Arado.

Edited by CDW

looks awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

New release model kits from Flyhawk 2021

Flyhawk Model CATALOG 2021 – toylandhobbymodelingmagazine.com

Will likely buy one of every new release unless I already have it. Most all the RN cruisers are new or a different version than what I have now. 

HMS Vanguard looks excellent  - that is one kit thats been seriously missing in a decent scale kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Craig, do all the kits come with wooden decks, PE, brass barrels, etc.?  I like the idea of getting an all in one kit with everything already in the box, rather than have to hunt down the aftermarket.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Craig, do all the kits come with wooden decks, PE, brass barrels, etc.?  I like the idea of getting an all in one kit with everything already in the box, rather than have to hunt down the aftermarket.

No. There are standard and deluxe editions. The deluxe editions come with photo etch and brass barrels, sometimes resin pieces. Wood decks are extra, not included. Deck painting masks are another optional extra. It's far more economical to buy the deluxe edition rather than buy the PE and brass separately.

I think I'll be in line behind you too get those new Flyhawk releases. Their 1/700 kits are just so well made and detailed. I'm just finishing their 1/72 Pz Kpfw1 kit as light relief from the Dragon Z-38 and it is as good as their warships. A lot of parts, nice PE and impressive detail. A joy to build all the way through.

Just now, king derelict said:

I think I'll be in line behind you too get those new Flyhawk releases. Their 1/700 kits are just so well made and detailed. I'm just finishing their 1/72 Pz Kpfw1 kit as light relief from the Dragon Z-38 and it is as good as their warships. A lot of parts, nice PE and impressive detail. A joy to build all the way through.

I'll have to check out their 1:72 armor. Don't own any of that yet.

If you ever decide to build one of these 1:700 scale ship models with the photo etch railings and all, you may want to consider shaping the rail pieces prior to assembling some of the deck pieces. A case in point is the small deck on which the ship's AA - secondary guns are located. This particular deck is shaped with several compound curves, zig's and zag's on each side. Trying to shape the railing pieces after the deck and guns are in place will be much more difficult than doing it before assembly. I am installing the pre-bent, pre-shaped railing pieces now after deck assembly. Will have to touch up some paint work on the rails.

IMG_2150.thumb.jpg.d5e07e0c1f3a6914faaa51167f7d9d82.jpgIMG_2151.thumb.jpg.1ccbbf0238bff585338041142a472c6b.jpgIMG_2152.thumb.jpg.26d14542b20a00601ecdf6a59c90335a.jpg

Great suggestion Craig, thanks for passing that along.  My guess is it would be close to impossible to shape the rails once installed.

Looking good!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Might also mention that it's helpful to cut the long sections of photo etch railing into shorter lengths for better control and ease of installation. The long sections often just don't work well because of the lateral and vertical twists and turns of a deck. I cut mine right adjacent to a vertical post then give an ever so slight overlap when gluing them in place. It's almost impossible to detect they have been cut after assembly, but it sure does make the job of installing them so much better.

Are you using CA or clear to attach the railings?  I used CA on my destroyer, but am considering whether the clear approach would be easier.

Mike

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Are you using CA or clear to attach the railings?  I used CA on my destroyer, but am considering whether the clear approach would be easier.

For PE railings, I use Gator's Grip acrylic thin glue, from this fellow right here who makes it:  (4) Gator's Model Studio | Facebook

Cleans up with water. Very good alternative to CA glue, with more time to adjust and move things around, exactly where you want it. Any excess can quickly and easily be cleaned up with a paint brush dampened with water.

I didn’t think Gator’s Glue would have a good enough grab on such a tiny surface area, will have to try it, thanks!

First time I tried it I didn’t know what I was doing, but have used it a few times on my 1/350 build and really like it - until I spilled half the bottle on my desk 🤬

Mike

15 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

until I spilled half the bottle on my desk 🤬

It only happens to your favorite liquids, solvents, paints, and glues. Normally it also only happens when the stores are closed or just plain out of stock!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 5/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

I didn’t think Gator’s Glue would have a good enough grab on such a tiny surface area, will have to try it, thanks!

First time I tried it I didn’t know what I was doing, but have used it a few times on my 1/350 build and really like it - until I spilled half the bottle on my desk 🤬

It actually has a very good bond once it's dry. The thinset version gets tacky quickly, within a couple of minutes.