Vought F4U-1A Corsair - Revell - 1:32 by Edwardkenway

I picked this up just before our second lockdown. 

Being a plane from the WW2 Pacific Campaign I couldn't resist.

I'm doing it straight out of the box, with no aftermarket. 20201216_103455.thumb.jpg.e7f24cfd77d4fc28be389e52e8f41890.jpg

So far I've only just began painting the parts that can be done whilst still on the sprues. 

I'll get some photos when I start gluing it together. 

I love the Corsair, and Baa Baa Blacksheep was one of my favorite shows as a kid (even wrote a letter of protest to NBC when they announced its cancellation -- received a glossy, Robert Conrad-autographed B&W print of the cast as a thank-you gift). The few available card models of the F4U aren't particularly detailed. I'm waiting for Halinski to publish one, then I will be all over it.

Whistling Death was the nickname given this aircraft by Japanese Marines, It was based upon their experience and admiration for the job this AC could do in an air-ground delivery role... (trust me, they REALLY understood) In my opinion one of the five best aircraft in the world coming out of WWII....

I'm in....

Hey Chris, GPM does a reasonable Corsair..... (not quite Halinski, but very close)

Thanks to everyone who clicked or commented. 

The aries cockpit was delivered today 🙂🙃20210514_204519.thumb.jpg.7ef31c2e8bd3eb3255b3c5b0bb5321a7.jpg

this will be my first foray into aftermarket add ons. It's also a first for PE as well. 

20210514_204640.thumb.jpg.b7914bb99b5fb23c6d0afdbd91f09dd6.jpg

I'll probably be a bit slow putting  this together, and there'll be a bit of alterations to the kit fuselage to get it to fit as can be seen on the box it is primarily for the Trumpeter kit of this plane 😬

Cheers

If it is your first with PE, a couple of suggestions, if I may (this is what I do):

- Cut the parts from the fret with a sharp blade on top of a very thin cardboard which is on top of a hard surface (a glass tile), keep a finger on the part to be cut, because often they fly away entering in a spacetime wormhole you did not suspect you had in your room.

- File the edge with a diamond file, do not try to cut away the residual fret attachment.

- If the part get deformed, try to flatten it by rolling a round rod (the aluminium handle of a cutter knife) on top of a glass surface.

- Sand slightly with a very fine sand paper the surfaces to be glued.

- If you need to fold a part, do it on a glass surface, pressing a blade along the folding line and lifting the part to be folded with another blade. Doing this under a magnifier lens helps a lot.

- A good sharp pointed tweezers will help a lot to handle and position the parts.

- Do not rush, as soon you get tired or bored, stop the work and come back to it later!

Good luck,

Dan.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

he used to say they were over powerd

I don't think there were too many combat pilots that would have agreed with him. There is no such thing as over powered, too maneuverable, or too tough in combat. I don't think I have ever heard of an F4U being referred to as having a light frame.

Edited by lmagna

Today I entered the realm of PE and I'm so glad its at 1:32 as even at this scale it's tiny!

The seat belt is trying me🤯 but of the dozen or so parts fitted only one has took flight, ok its jumped out the tweezers 3 times, found twice, but last reported somewhere among the other MIA bits and bobs😠😤😫.

So things have been put away and a full scale search and rescue is on the cards.

Photos and more progress in the next update. 

Thanks to all for bearing with me😉

Cheers 

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

I don't think there were too many combat pilots that would have agreed with him. There is no such thing as over powered, too maneuverable, or too tough in combat. I don't think I have ever heard of an F4U being referred to as having a light frame.

I think he may have been referring to their ground handling  - I'm sure he told me some of the Erk's had to hang of the rear tail  to keep the nose because of the more powerful engine  - he did tell me about some of the mods to UK FAA  versions  like the clipped wing  (by Eight Inches each side)  for carrier hanger clearance when folded, also something about  them bouncing  on the deck when landing  - needing the shocks to be softened  - and the seat being lifted up  for better view through the Bubble canopy  Brit versions had.

OC.

Hi all, after four days the search has been called off, the bench was cleared, everything from the vicinity was shook or tapped over dark blue towel, I even tried the women's tights on the vacuum,  all to no avail😔. Hopefully I may be able to mock something similar up from some thin copper wire flattened ( the piece in question was an 'L' shaped buckle type thing for the seat belt), once the cockpit is all together it'd be hard to see anyway. 

20210516_220752.thumb.jpg.0e2bd480268c12e90b0d8418dca680a6.jpg

just a couple of photos. 

It's going slowly, but steady🥵 I just have to remember to breathe😉20210516_220728.thumb.jpg.63a0b30d08b9ca015bb388bc9888f5b6.jpg

I appreciate you all calling by and the likes.

Cheers