HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

With a closed bulwark the capstan bars were laid in up turned hooks mounted on the inside of the bulwark.  Mainly they have to be out of the way of being snagged by lines swinging past.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

An excellent solution to the latenrn problem.  I think I'll quietly tuck this one away for future reference. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks David,

for your answer...

Bob,

thanks for your Input on the turned hooks for inside the bulwarks, I`ll leave that feature open till I can see where the rigging leaves a suitable place at the bulwark

Thanks Mark,

I still hope that someday I`ll find a brass or brass casting lantern housing in propper scale, it can be replaced easily

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

being terminology challenged Nils.......you might be right.....club rack would be a good description. I'm pretty sure, that in the heat of battle, capstan bars could very well, have been used as weapons ;) there are probably debates out there, as to how they were stowed.......either binned or racked horizontally along the bulwarks. I think vertically racked looks just as good too :) makes them quite handy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nils, thanks for the clarification on the hammocks.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Popeye,

I`ll leave the decision for stowing the capstan bars to a later Point, due to finding the best place..

Michael,

the hammocks (47) are all in place now...

post-3445-0-62304500-1406653593_thumb.jpg

47 hammocks fit into the nettings

I am now studying masts and bowsprit rigging

to begin with an easy one, here are the foresail tack bumpkins with their blocks....

post-3445-0-70184300-1406653789_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93863800-1406653792_thumb.jpg

the ropes through the blocks are just to secure the dowels a bit untill they get permanently rigged

Build log part 52 to follow...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you David and Omega,

work shall go on a bit more steady from now on..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"More steady" Nils?  My word, you set a brisk pace already. 

Great work, and fascinating detail as always.

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for your words ...,

sorry, relating to the "more steady" term, guess I Chose the wrong word, was actualy wanting to say that the foot is taken back a bit from the accelertor pedal, the historical rigging and understanding of the function of all those ropes (especialy the running rigging) differs a bit from the steel hull tallships I did before

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Moving along a quite a pace Nils, good find with the stern lantern, it fits in very well with your scheme.

Can't really help with the capstan bar storage question, but I suspect that with an open railed ship like Pegasus, they were probably stored below, in my case out of sight, out of mind. ;) Not something I recall seeing on any contemporary models.

B.E.

Thank you B.E.

also for your comment to the capstan bars storage..., I still remember your remark to the length (8`) of the bars some time ago which probably would have excluded vertical storage. Its not so important, just to keep in mind, perhaps someday on a picture showing something completey else, there may be in the background a rack or hooks or something alike for stowing away the bars, must have been 6-8 per capstan bars or so..

BTW, do you perhaps know for what reason a violin block was used instead of a double sheaved block, which I feel performs the same function in the rigging ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, She is looking really good , Beautiful work .I am excited to see the Masting.  She will be breath taking when completed

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Nils, re your question on the Violin block or Fiddle Block.

More properly called a Long Tackle Block, which had two sheaves set on the same plane but contained within the same cheeks.

My understanding is that it was used where there was a risk of line fouling were the traditional double block with side by side sheaves be used. They were commonly used for the Yard Tackle pendants on the Lower Yards, and also Stay Tackles.

B.E.

Many thanks for your explaination B.E.,

I`ll see it now from that Point of view relating to the rigging..

Nils

Nils, She is looking really good , Beautiful work .I am excited to see the Masting.  She will be breath taking when completed

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you for your word Pete,

I am meanwhile gathering the required Information....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 52

Starting with the masting, and the top platforms.

post-3445-0-50398100-1407263780_thumb.jpg

as I have no milling Equipment the mast dowels are being filed down to the required measurements

post-3445-0-58668700-1407263782_thumb.jpg

shaping, fore, main and mizzen

post-3445-0-01848100-1407263772_thumb.jpg

it worked dfine so far and the main top platform has a tight fit within the rated dimensions

post-3445-0-13582800-1407263769_thumb.jpg

the lower cheeks are fitted, the upper cheeks will be of ply

post-3445-0-08556300-1407263774_thumb.jpg

B.E once showed a wonderful tuteral for Platform Ratings, more orientated on Steel`s dimensions rather than the plans dimensions. Here the main top is 59,5 mm broad instead of 56 mm

Thanks to B.E. for this Research !

post-3445-0-10055100-1407263778_thumb.jpg

The fastening Points for the blocks are prefitted. The outer platform rim is of 3 mm ply and the Slots for the deadeye tacke are ready, as well as the 16 0,5 mm holes for the crows feet lines

post-3445-0-09399400-1407263776_thumb.jpg

the threstle timbers are quite sturdy

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

“as I have no milling equipment the mast dowels are being filed down to the required measurements”

So that’s the secret of how you do such nice work.  I guess I need to get rid of my power equipment.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob,

I know it sounds crasy, no joke, but I have neighther a lathe nor milling machine. Rotation symetric parts are done with my electr. Speed contgrolled hand Drilling machine as good as it goes, and small round parts are cut off with a saw blade.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

You`re right B.E.

I had my doubts with that mizen platform on the plan when I first saw it. Now all 3 platforms are corresponding with you research results, many thanks again.

In the Moment I have not made up my mind yet, if the masts shall be or partially blackend in the platform Areas. If I put black wooldings on It perhaps may be contrast enough to the natural Wood, I was thinking of blackening the Yards though.

The mizen topmast as well as the fore- and main top masts and the two topgallant masts (acc. to plan ) look ver fragile in the waist Areas. Did you follow the plan here with yours ?

post-3445-0-37199400-1407484640_thumb.jpg

platform widths now:

mizen 44 mm

Foremast 54 mm

Mainmast 59,5 mm

post-3445-0-21719000-1407484689_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Omega,

You`ve won that bet,....., blocks are ordered, still Need to buy some certain rope (sewing thread) Diameters, and of course studying the function of all those rigging lines, I intend to spend her a full suit of set rigged sails.

Next ship on the horizon is still out in the mist...., if I had the space in my home left I would like to challenge one of those famous nostalgic four stackers (Cunards Lusitania, or one of the many german 4 funnel black hull ocean runners of that time)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you B.E.,

I`ll look at your log pages you meant...

BTW I`ve been studying the plans several times and still am not sure if all the Yards (as they are fitted with lifts that go to the outer Yard Ends)are foreseen for vertical hoisting / lowering, or only those with with haleyard blocks in the Yard Center area ?

On the tallships I built 3 out of 6 Yards were fixed hight, only the three others were hight moveable

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, The masting is looking good , Nice work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Nils, re your lift/yard question.

All the yards were raised to set sail, and lowered to the caps when bare stick. The lower yards were not normally  moved once in position, but they could be using the jeers.

Commercial sailing ships of the mid 19th century such as clippers often had split topsails with one fixed lower topsail yard and a moveable upper topsail yard. I understand this was to make for easier handling with the fewer crew available on such ships.

B.E.

Thank you very much B.E.,

good explaination, shall have to Keep this in mind when rigging the sails. Some (not this one)plans I saw, Show masts with Center axis. and one side "bare stick" other side set sail. That is a good help for understanding the sail relevant operating lines.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

masts are looking very good.....getting caught up was enjoyable for me......very nice progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Popeye,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed