HMS Sphinx 1775 by Jasseji (Jacek) - Vanguard Models - 1:64

5 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

That looks better - your stern fascia is now even a little higher than mine - which will be fine to align the bulwarks to stern interface. And, Yes, the ply piece that reinforces the fragile MDF stern timbers IS VISIBLE through the windows. A more significant issue as you've discovered is that the lower counter (inner pattern) doesn't meet the stern fascia bottom properly. Hence, some scratching will be required; perhaps a slender strip that can fill the visible gap- but you'll need to trace the curvature at the bottom of the stern piece so don't mount it yet!

Ron

That gap is the smallest issue here, i have enough strip-wood to fill that, i will try tomorrow to remove the upper counter-Inner and reposition it 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I made my stern fascia mounting - like you - to conform to photo 202, not 313. I did look ahead (as the manual suggests) before I mounted my piece - but I did this knowing the "gap" issue that would arise with the counter piece(s) not closely matching. I chose to "fudge" the vertical placement (by millimeters) so I didn't need to scratch a counter fill piece. The bulwarks-to-stern interface (and the slightly protruding decorative roof piece that has no function) isn't critical to the eye. At the end of the day, the best fit to the counters is much more significant. That was my choice.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

45 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

Maybe this pic will help, Jasseji.

With this high magnification, a lot of things show-up that don't normally meet the eye! You'll likely note that I changed the configuration of the lower gallery finishing piece "drop"- this is also very dependent on the alignment of the MDF slot pieces to build the gallery.

Cheers,

Ron

SternAlign01.jpg

Ron

It looks like your stern fascia is set low to me.

Glenn (UK)

Yep. The best solution.👍

Glennard - You're correct. I chose to go somewhere between photo 202 and photo 313, but leaned toward NOT SCRATCHING new stern counter piece(s). 

I hope all this has been helpful to you both. Glad you speak fluent English, Jesseji. I can't imagine trying to explain what I've done auf Deutsch!🤯

Ron

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Ok, Changed the Fascia position:

IMG_20211027_074750.jpg

Now i will need to fill that hole, shouldnt be a problem tho:

IMG_20211027_074803.thumb.jpg.a99d63aa51b793c2e4bb94a608f8fe98.jpg

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Just now, James H said:

Maybe a half plank strip top and bottom of that 'inner' part?

Actually i cut out some of the leftover wood from which that piece was taken, attempting to fit it now 

Jacek

56 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Blimey Glenn, I  expect to add around £100 in additional stuff for my build but I think you'll hold the record for the most expensive Sphinx build on MSW.

B.E.

100 only ?

I am already at 50eur and i ordered only additional Blocks and eyebolts :P

Jacek

Right @Blue Ensign, let's cover these 2 Posts with a smuch Thread pages as possible :P

Stern Fixes and works on the Quarter Galleries

IMG_20211027_115845.jpg

I will place the Engraved Upper counter (the one with the name) centrally on this area, the rails wich will be glued at a later staeg at the counter edges will cover the extra space here

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

This piece was a pain in the backside to do, i wonder if it wouldnt have been better from other wood as mdf:

IMG_20211027_145001.jpg

Still have the portside to finish, then some small filling in the quarter gallery area...

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Nice neat work. Difficult to be certain from your last photo, but it would be an idea to check the gallery and stern fascia rail alignments. It looks to me that there could be an issue with the bottom rails with the quarter gallery rail sitting higher than the stern fascia bottom rail. I think it would have been better to fit the upper counter pattern to the stern fascia and fill the gap below it.

Edited by glennard2523

Glenn (UK)

Glennard has a good point: you'll need to adjust where the trim (trails) meet-up on the galleries (from the counters). The upper rails-to- gallery shouldn't be an issue- with the notable exception of a "gap" from the gallery roof to the drift rail. I fixed this eyesore with a tiny "extra" piece of rail inserted to fill the gap.

It appears you've fixed the problem. Good recovery, Sir.

Cheers!

Ron

Ron

1 hour ago, glennard2523 said:

Nice neat work. Difficult to be certain from your last photo, but it would be an idea to check the gallery and stern fascia rail alignments. It looks to me that there could be an issue with the bottom rails with the quarter gallery rail sitting higher than the stern fascia bottom rail. I think it would have been better to fit the upper counter pattern to the stern fascia and fill the gap below it.

yes, you are right, i have placed the Upper Counter pattern now against the Stern Fascia and it seems that the rail will cover the gap and should also connect with the Quarter Gallery Rails.

That little piece below the Quarter Galleries took me several hours to make, i am trying to gather my strenght for the other side (need to remove the gallery window partterns there first for a tiny correction tho)

Jacek

1 minute ago, Jasseji said:

yes, you are right, i have placed the Upper Counter pattern now against the Stern Fascia and it seems that the rail will cover the gap and should also connect with the Quarter Gallery Rails.

That little piece below the Quarter Galleries took me several hours to make, i am trying to gather my strenght for the other side (need to remove the gallery window partterns there first for a tiny correction tho)

You are doing a great job. I made such a mess of this aspect of the build that recovery was not an option for me.

Glenn (UK)

18 minutes ago, glennard2523 said:

You are doing a great job. I made such a mess of this aspect of the build that recovery was not an option for me.

i do make a mess, i attempt to hide it behind bad pictures ;) (although i do appreciate the feedback)

Jacek

49 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

Well done Jacek, this is what its all about, sticking with it until you get an acceptable result. 👍

B.E.

Wood definitely forgives some mistakes (or if it doesnt, then  you can take another piece quite easy)

Jacek

After feeling being recalled to the Principal's office by @Chuck i decided it's time to finally open up those gunports:

IMG_20211029_101914.jpg

They were never meant to stay the way they were, it was just laziness and putting it away to another time (and now Chuck gave me an Excuse to focus on some other tasks than the Galleries)

I am keeping the Char only in places which will either be invisible, or covered in black paint (but i do remove the laser-sheet tabs there and give them a light touch of 400-grit sandpaper which doesnt remove the char but smoothens the surface)

Also thanks Chuck for pointing out those wooden decoration pieces (Sheer rails) 

I was going to ask if i should round their edges

Also guys, it's not a Museum-Piece and let's chill a bit ;)

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

I do need a piece of advise @glennard2523 or @James H do you paint all the decorations with liquid Gold or some of them with 'normal' Gold paint?

Or anyone for that matter who could advise? 

Jacek

I believe James uses Vallejo's Liquid Gold, mixed with a few drops of isopropyl to allow it to flow easily. 

He has mentioned it in his logs..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

10 minutes ago, Gregory said:

I believe James uses Vallejo's Liquid Gold, mixed with a few drops of isopropyl to allow it to flow easily. 

He has mentioned it in his logs..

Yes, but what i meant is, some decorations Look like liquid Gold, some like normal Gold paint

Jacek

3 hours ago, Jasseji said:

I do need a piece of advise @glennard2523 or @James H do you paint all the decorations with liquid Gold or some of them with 'normal' Gold paint?

Or anyone for that matter who could advise? 

Just before I read your post I had been fitting my interpretation of the frieze decoration to my model of H.M.S Sphinx.

Reading from various sources about ship decoration during the Georgian period I was not convinced that a small 20 gun frigate would have had that much gold gilt work and the frieze was more likely to have been painted in yellow or ochre paint if indeed it was decorated at all.

As I wanted to include all the exquisite etched brass pattern that Chris W. has provided I decided to use a white primer followed by a coat of light yellow acrylic colour by Vallejo. When dry this was then coated in Humbrol Clear gloss varnish. The detail on the etch is then highlighted with a wash of Seraphim Sepia from the Citadel range of washes called "Shades".

The photo shows the fitting of the first row of decoration on my model and I am very happy with the result. Over the next couple of days I will apply the the rest of the decoration.

I hope this gives you some idea of the possible alternatives.

Chris

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.75dbd53df5b2771f3f12bee04407f129.jpeg

Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

2 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Just before I read your post I had been fitting my interpretation of the frieze decoration to my model of H.M.S Sphinx.

Reading from various sources about ship decoration during the Georgian period I was not convinced that a small 20 gun frigate would have had that much gold gilt work and the frieze was more likely to have been painted in yellow or ochre paint if indeed it was decorated at all.

As I wanted to include all the exquisite etched brass pattern that Chris W. has provided I decided to use a white primer followed by a coat of light yellow acrylic colour by Vallejo. When dry this was then coated in Humbrol Clear gloss varnish. The detail on the etch is then highlighted with a wash of Seraphim Sepia from the Citadel range of washes called "Shades".

The photo shows the fitting of the first row of decoration on my model and I am very happy with the result. Over the next couple of days I will apply the the rest of the decoration.

I hope this gives you some idea of the possible alternatives.

Chris

IMG_0603.thumb.jpeg.75dbd53df5b2771f3f12bee04407f129.jpeg

That looks real nice.