HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

Phase 2 - Cannon

I’m still here, I haven’t a lot of ship time lately due tog lots of summer activities and travel.

Post41-1439.jpg.ac4c26e2e27e45388b17e498e5a974ed.jpg

I have managed to complete another group of nine cannon bringing my total to 17 with eight more to go on the main deck. This is how I’m thinking of mounting them 😄

Post41-1349.jpg.255b07f94da223e4c876490443788edb.jpg

A coat of Admiralty Ironworks Black, followed by Doc O'Briens Rusty Red weathering powder.

Post41-1421.jpg.c4203773551d2bfcae421d6522bfb7bd.jpg

Completed carriages airbrushed red.  I was surprised how much fine red dust ended up in my air filtration system - it even gave me a clean filters warning. I of course wore a mask and saw first hand the reason why.

Post41-1422.jpg.70694668309a08fdd6074faf9b9595fb.jpg

Adding WOP to wheels and hanging them out to dry. One thing I can’t seem to sort out is how to get completely clean wheels without removing too much wood, at this point thought it’s more important to me to be consist with my dirty wheels.

Post41-1444.jpg.766e7f80f8b8bb7794aa869f7fa7f782.jpg

I won’t bore you further with my process again, I covered it in detail back in post 361 if you’re interested. I just did it all again for nine more (one is for my 6 year old grandson, he asked me to make him one) and will again for the remaining eight, and once again later for the eight q-deck and forecastle guns. Perhaps of passing interest, each cannon consists of 28 separate parts. No shortcuts here, just gotta get in and do it.

One thing I brushed over in the earlier post was the capsquares. Doing them with the hinge, latch, and pin is a bit of a fun getting the four pieces consisting of 30 pound black monofilament, 24 gauge wire, and black paper to come together to fit there properly on top of the carriage. I can’t say enough about the power of powder in the form of Doc O’Briens Weathering Powders. Somehow Rusty Red combines with the plastic cannon and Ironworks Black paint to create an nice gun metal finish. I took it one step further and also added it to the capsquares after first also painting them with the Ironworks Black. Once buffed up it brings all the plastic, wire, and paper into a uniform appearance creating a nice looking brushed metal appearance (at least mini-me thinks so). A lot of time spent making these in addition to assembling the cannon - well worth it.

Post41-1441.jpg.85efc00ad2040909fc13125b8b74f3c9.jpg

It’s starting to look like a warship (they’re just sitting there temporarily).  I was going to take a break from them and build the capstan or the stove, but now I think I’ll go ahead and make the remaining main deck guns while the steps are fresh.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you’re all enjoying the summer. I’m having eggs for breakfast these days since I can just cook them out on my Texas driveway.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

3 minutes ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

detail and precise fit

Thanks Don, I tend to obsess over those details, I appreciate your comment. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

11 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

You will be rigging them

Thank you.  Yes, absolutely, with my special invisible rope and transparent blocks🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Thank you.  Yes, absolutely, with my special invisible rope and transparent blocks🤣😂

Glenn. If interested, I can show you how to put her in an invisible seascape.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 3 weeks later...

Main Deck Arsenal Complete

Post43-1542.jpg.faee9d21acf6b58744058b938c62c84b.jpg

I’ve finally completed the 24 (plus a spare) main deck cannon (with just 8 more in my future for the quarterdeck).

Post43-1548.jpg.5755aab54565d46009c164149c69167f.jpg

I’m glad to have them done. Just sitting there for now. There will NOT be rigging involved as I’m embracing the admiralty model concept - no ropes anywhere including these guns. I wish I had cleaner wheels, but it was not to be, at least for me, without sanding more than I wanted to sand. Oh well.

Post43-1545.jpg.c993c33582d6fb9801a4766137b0fb47.jpg

I’m going to build the ship stove and capstan before starting chapter 7. They should be fun and will allow me to put off painting deck beams a while longer.  Good stuff

Thanks for stopping by to see a few more cannon.

Regards,

Glenn

They look great. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was a firing squad or something! 😂

Enjoy the stove and capstan. They were really fun.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

15 hours ago, Chuck said:

Looking very nice.

Thanks Chuck, I did well I think on everything except the wheels. Just can’t sort how to clean them without over sanding. At least they’re consistent. 

12 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Moving right along. 

Thank you, even though it’s been at a glacial pace lately.

12 hours ago, Rustyj said:

thought it was a firing squad

Thanks Rusty. The thought occurred to me after making so many. I like the little buggers but there sure are a lot of them. 

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, Dave_E said:

What kind of lines and ropes are omitted?

All of them. This ship won’t have masts, the cannon have no rigging, even the ships wheel rope is left off. Basically no rope anywhere.

It’s a good look on this model, not to mention not rigging 32 cannons. 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn on Cheerful I ganged 4 canonn wheels of like diameter on a screw of prpoer diameter. Placed a nut on screw end to secure them. I placed the wheels so that the "fatter" diameter of two wheels faced each other. Then I carefully but ever so lightly turned/sanded them on my lathe. The key is to keep the pairings together once removed. Worked fairly well.

Joe 

Glenn, they look great to me.  What do you mean about the wheels being over sanded?  When I read that, I was expecting to see rounded edges, but they look nice and square.  Also, did you make those perfect looking quoin handles?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

What do you mean about the wheels being over sanded?  When I read that, I was expecting to see rounded edges, but they look nice and square.  Also, did you make those perfect looking quoin handles?

Thank you! The wheels aren’t as free of char as I’d like, my comment was I didn’t feel I could get them that way without over sanding, meaning too much reduction in diameter/size. I’m sure I’m just being over-picky.

I made the order to Crafty Sailor for the quoin handles (actually belaying pins) does that count.🤣

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, Thistle17 said:

turned/sanded them on my lathe

Thanks for sharing that.  I also spin them on my lathe, though pairing two is a great suggestion. I can get all the char that way but was feeling like the resulting wheel would wind up too small. Plus the impact of the grain from the board they’re cut on creates an inconsistent char pattern on the wheels as I sanded it off. I almost wish I’d just sanded them very lightly and left most of the char on. 

im sure I’m being ridiculously picky, I like the detail and how they turned out otherwise.  

Regards,

Glenn

Cannon Weathering 

IMG_1445.thumb.jpeg.3158395c19f1c21ce16befa53b12e63c.jpeg

Just one more thought on the cannons. I mentioned this before but worth emphasizing for future owners of Syren’s resin cannons.  The combination of these with Ironworks Black paint, or any Matt Black I’d imagine, and Doc O’Briens Rusty Red weathering powder (why the Rusty Red works best I don’t know), and a set of soft, single purpose brushes creates such a nice gun metal gray barrel. Well worth the time and effort to do it and highly recommended.  
68955075268__80606554-25E6-4D9E-8AD5-F34E4A74E017.thumb.jpeg.4f73cb3105ae7ecf94de507970746b7c.jpeg

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Looks really good Glenn, I had the same issues with the char and I actually kind of like it, it’s almost like free weathering on the wheels. The laser does seem to char deeper depending the grain orientation. Overall I’d say your guns turned out perfect. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

11 hours ago, glbarlow said:

made the order to Crafty Sailor for the quoin handles (actually belaying pins) does that count.🤣

I used the exact same talent on mine!

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

The Stove

It is nice to finally move on from my cannon production line and work on something there is only one of.

Post44-1551.jpg.8d9c9d8dd579d1277688132a8818fd7d.jpg

So instead of that I started on two things there are only one of, the stove and the capstan, thereby creating a complete mess on my work bench - fun.

Post44-1549.jpg.3e2983a017b2552339ad741f0fda6734.jpg

I cut some correctly sized blocks from scrap MDF to help keep things square. There are other ways, but this one was easy, in fact one of them is still inside the stove.

Post44-1553.jpg.dbce94c1320ee8a94931f33beb9b3500.jpg

Not as silly as it looks, there is an indention on the bottom of the weight that perfectly fit the chimney top. Nice tight glue seal, and yes it is a bit silly. I was constantly checking levels, there aren’t a lot of main parts to the stove but the ones there are need to be kept both square and level.

Post44-1554.jpg.0ff48287dd288da046901cc805af86de.jpg

I sent this photo to my two sons explaining it was the ship's stove - one questioned the wisdom of cooking with a wooden stove. 

The instructions are clear, not hard to assemble, attention to detail is important though, and this little jewel has a lot of detail to pay attention to. Those little racks on the front are very very fragile. Getting the pulley installed correctly required a little planning and dexterity, but really fun stuff.

One addition I did make was to plane a small rectangle of wood matching the height of the six tiny little legs and glued it to the bottom center.  It can’t be seen and I’m a lot more comfortable with it there than completely relying on my not breaking a leg and something more substantial to ultimately to be glued to the deck.

Post44-1579.jpg.213a39ab6a8644f124dc78af02fb0e8d.jpg

While following the instructions for this beautifully designed mini-kit I became so absorbed with the work I failed to take any more photos until it was done, so here it is. The pulley system is so realistic I might think its actually metal fly wheels and a fan belt rather than laser cut assembly of 5 separate tiny little pieces. I'm not really clear how it would work though, what caused the meat to be turned on that spit and why does the upper pulley go into the vent....

Post44-1581.jpg.1f95219b69f49b7fdbd1aa3425d6cba9.jpg

I first painted it with my Admiralty Ironworks Black, finally using this paint on actual ironworks. Then as Chuck suggests I heavily coated it with Grimy Black weathering powder from the O’Brien set. I almost left it at that but went back with a light application of Rusty Red. I opted to brush and buff it in to an even appearance and will likely use the buff brush further.

It’s a bit of a shame very little of this will be visible one the forecastle deck is installed, but I know its there.

And now for the capstan. Thanks for stopping by, your likes and comments are always appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

12 hours ago, glbarlow said:

one questioned the wisdom of cooking with a wooden stove. 

:rolleyes:🤣😂

...and on a wooden ship!

Beautiful work, as always.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Great job on the stove Glenn! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Still here. Not much workshop time, I have completed the stove and now the capstan. The instructions are clear and the mini-kit is, as always with Chuck, well designed and detailed.
IMG_1632.thumb.jpeg.d59ec1bc6ab67f02a5290f058800df21.jpeg

I did add Dullcoat to the stove. I like the look but rattle cans scare me, uncontrolled volume, I had to practice a little, first time I’ve used it. 
IMG_1628.thumb.jpeg.2754081890d375828d98cdeff45301df.jpeg

So I have nothing to add other than it was a wonderful opportunity for practicing char removal on many small parts. Good stuff. 

Post-2212.jpg.7cf740224aea8e1364fa70296a4d51f1.jpg

Now on to chapter 7. Hope everyone is enjoying your summer. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Very nice work Glenn. They were really fun to do!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)