HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

Wonderful job on the planking Glenn. Not that I'd expect anything else!

Enjoy your trip, be safe and I look forward to seeing the new photographs.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

3 hours ago, James G said:

Looks so nice, Glenn.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Hsae said:

where did you get your “mini-me” from?  Did they actually scan you, or how does it work?

I got them from Shapeways.com under the category ‘humans’ at 1:48 scale. I selected one and  hand painted them to kinda look like me. I borrowed the idea from Chuck as a fun way to have an appreciation for the scale of the ship. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, Diver said:

board cutter was purchased. 

From the manufacturer, www.rptoolz.com. They are clever enough to print their website right on the cutter.  It’s pricey but worth it. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Wonderful job on the planking

Thanks Rusty, though I am looking forward to being done with planking for a while. 

Regards,

Glenn

I wouldn't worry about Winnie going anywhere while you're in Patagonia. She'll wait patiently 🙂

Enjoy the trip! 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hello Glen,

I’m fairly new to wooden ship building and this is my first comment on your build, so hence the formality.

Your log is both inspirational, educational and a pleasure to read. Yes, there are multiple wonderful builds of this model, but the detail you show, whilst not being over repetitive is a perfect fit for me.

I hope you don’t mind but I have a question on the use of the monofilament fishing line, used to represent bolts. So far, I can only see the “size” given as the breaking strain. I was hoping you could measure the diameter used and quote that either in MM or English. My concern is that different manufacturers will offer varying diameters for a given breaking strain so a known size would be useful.  Of course if I knew the size of the ship builders bolts/nails etc, I could scale them myself.

I intend to commence with my own build of HMS Winchelsea later this year and your build will be my favoured mentoring resource.

Thank you

Paul

3 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

hoping you could measure the diameter

Welcome to MSW and thank you for your comment, I’m glad my log is helpful. 

I googled this chart showing thickness of monofilament line in mm.  https://www.beadkraft.com/reference-monofilament

Regards,

Glenn

2 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

have as much free time

Thanks Frank. I’m retired, I have lots of time. I enjoy planking but it does become a chore after a few months of it. I’ll be glad to finish the deck and move on. Your Winnie is looking amazing. 

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm not building ships I'm off about the world doing this, near Chalten, Argentina.

rockreflection-90.thumb.jpg.12df2ff9fc6c1fc99251fb361ec899b9.jpg

Regards,

Glenn

My wife and I and our son, who was studying in Buenos Aires at the time, spent a couple of weeks in Patagonia as part of a 6 week trip in Argentina in 2010 and Patagonia was spectacular. We particularly loved hiking in Fitz Roy Mountain Range in El Chaltén and in the Torres del Paine National Park. The hike up to the three Towers of Paine was amazing. Enjoy Glenn! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

Main Deck Complete

I’ve returned from my two week journey to Argentina and Chile pursuing my other hobby of photography, it was incredible.  Before I left I completed the deck but didn’t have time for a post, so I’m now catching up.

With the challenging center belt completed the belts either side are straightforward enough. I’ve had some issues with my Byrnes saw and ended up sending it back to Byrnes Model Machines for some repairs and a tune up. I’ve had it since 2008 so it was probably time. The Thickness Sander was a joy to use in providing consistent thickness planks for the deck.

Post34-0517.jpg.d9a8816d86ad359a2bc28df9b158e30e.jpg

The deck became a construction zone as I followed my marked out butt shift plan on the lined deck. The lining out showed me where the tapered planks began to achieved the desired subtle but curved planking. I used the same double-sided tape, metal ruler, and #11 blade method I described earlier in this log for the hull planking. My goal was to keep the tapered planks to near the same width for each plank for a consistent look. The lining off of the deck was the guiding force in doing this, though I doubled down with tick strips to confirm and mark the planks.

Post34-0534.jpg.5b82ae9ca42644870ba42562b2de0298.jpg

The actual builders probably didn’t use little strips of woods to ensure tight seams between planks, but it works well for the model as I opted to use white PVA for the deck and drying time was necessary. I spent a lot of time sorting planks to keep the colors as even as possible. As we know there is generally some color variation in AYC. Even with that sorting the 5/16th billet I had was darker than the ¼ planks, but it’s consistent so it’s ok.

Post34-0523.jpg.b366f41e622d9e5a9e3035748b4116dd.jpg

The master gunner stopped by for a trial fit of the waist battery, he was satisfied with the look.

Post34-0539.jpg.b60b26f6f04dac330193aa753a97e1c3.jpg

With the planking complete, I did some aggressive sanding with 220, 320, and 400 grit sandpaper in turn. That resulted in a nick here and there on the coamings, easily corrected with Tamiya tape and the Admiralty Ironwork Black paint, 10/0, 3/0, and 20//0 paint brushes as needed. The tape job was excessive, there were just small paint dings to touch up.

Post34-.jpg.c74427663dfc20d7954eb13576559e0f.jpg

I applied three coats of WOP with light sanding after the second (the first is absorbed deeply into the sanded wood), buffed it up and the deck is done. You can see here the difference in the 5/16 wood either side of the center belt. This will hardly be noticeable at all once the deck furnishings and especially after forecastle and quarterdeck are later installed. It’s really not all that noticeable now.

Post34-0735.jpg.b9c374f27ff00e81fec95d35af810106.jpg

Post34-0734.jpg.f22c001966173e565a2242c015ef6701.jpg

Post34-0741.jpg.30cdd646485fc7c714b21a233c0d0344.jpg

Post34-0737.jpg.be5fda8c2d3e79ac2d63e6562a9728c5.jpg

Post34-0738.jpg.75ae69c11b97686b111dcd26e89e325c.jpg

Post34-0728.jpg.6cb5c85d4e56b73723c7f1c806b186b4.jpg

With that the deck, and Chapter 4, are complete. Here are iPhone photos sharing the state of my Winchelsea. I really ought to get the good gear out at some point for photos.

Thank you for stopping by. Your likes and comments are always deeply appreciated. Chapter 5 will have to wait until after I’ve selected, processed, edited, and published from the over 1,000 images taken during my Patagonia trip.

Regards,

Glenn

Superb work Glenn, as always.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thank you all for the kind comments and likes. I appreciate your time stopping by.

Regards,

Glenn

Everyone has used all the good words to describe your decking. I'll just say well done! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very, very nice, a superbly planked deck Glenn.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thank you for your comments. Yesterday was spent drilling holes for the many ring bolts, I  have to say it hurt a little bit to do so 😂

Regards,

Glenn