Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb by ccoyle - FINISHED - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD - aircraft flown by Jan Zumbach as commander of No. 303 Squadron RAF 1942

ccoyle

Ch. 10 Cockpit Exterior Skins

The first two exterior skins are on, though not without some issues. The aft section would simply not fit all the way 'round the fuselage, even though there were no gaps between the inner panels. Sanding the inner skins helped some, but did not completely alleviate the problem. I ended up with about a 1 mm gap along the underside that I had to fill in with some colored card stock. The glazing in the aft section is made from an overhead transparency sheet and glued in with canopy glue (yes, I got hold of some and, yes, it seems to bond paper and plastic tightly).  Sadly, I got some glue where it shouldn't have gone and wasn't able to clean it up entirely, but it looks okay from a distance, and it will be somewhat hidden by the Malcolm hood when that is eventually added.

spit20.thumb.jpg.57d55d6c3c9f817376739da238d545b0.jpg

After that bit was done, I glued the forward sub-structure together, here seen test-fitted to the cockpit section. You can see that it is quite robust.

spit21.thumb.jpg.641d0a3ea5ed9f75dbb0a81b6504ef1d.jpg

'Till later!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

43 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

but it looks okay from a distance, and it will be somewhat hidden by the Malcolm hood when that is eventually added.

I blew it up quite a bit and still can't see the excess glue so it is either on the other side or is completely invisible and only you can see it. Looking great so far.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Chris that looks fantastic! I use Krystal Klear from Microscale for canopy glue but Pacer and other are similar. I believe they are all in the PVA glue family like Elmer's but not quite the same..... might explain why they work well with paper too....

Brian

Ch. 11 Forward Fuselage

This next shot doesn't convey how much work went in to getting this section done. The upper forward fuselage is wrapped in three separate sections, two sides and a top. Before adding these, the sub-structure needed to be sanded, and although the frames did have laser-etched fairing marks on them, there was still some guesswork involved in getting the shape correct (and I won't know if I got everything truly correct until the lower skins are added). The real problem, though, is that the very first frame, the round one to which the propeller will eventually be fitted, was revealed during dry-fitting to stick out about 1 mm too far. I double-checked the diagrams and part numbers to make sure I hadn't gotten something wrong (I hadn't), then removed the offending frame. After removing most of its material, I glued it into the topside skin, then glued that down to the frames, followed by the two sides. I had to do some very slight trimming and filling, but overall I think the finished structure is okay.

spit22.thumb.jpg.a747f0f5f01e1089d2b152fa05451c17.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I should add that confidence is high at the moment. My last Halinski effort, the Brewster B-239, never got past the cockpit stage, so this is already a big improvement.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 12 Vertical Stabilizer

Perhaps somewhat counterintuitively, following the construction sequence given in the instructions takes us next to the opposite end of the model. Unlike some other kits, this one has the aft-most fuselage section and vertical stabilizer as a single assembly rather than having a separate stabilizer.

Parts . . .

spit23.thumb.jpg.cd18bb7c55be12d588029e093299bc01.jpg

. . . and done.

spit24.thumb.jpg.25d07fdb4733dca7a0f6d1ea37cd1afd.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That cardboard look almost 3 dimentional  like the rivets are popping out  - amazing work Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That cardboard look almost 3 dimentional  like the rivets are popping out  - amazing work Chris.

That I can take no credit for -- it is entirely due to the skill of the graphic artist who colored the model. These nicely weathered models can ruin one's appetite for kits that aren't thusly rendered. Ask me how I know. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 13 Fuselage

Meh.

That was my feeling after completing this step. I got a bit too much of the starving cow effect for my liking, and my seams let me down a bit. It doesn't look too bad in the photo below, because I purposely showed only the better of the two sides. You may notice that the worst of the seam work appears near the bottom, and that's deliberate, for two reasons. First, the bottom -- obviously -- is the least-seen part of the aircraft. Second, some of the more unsightly parts will eventually disappear beneath the wing fairings. So, if any of the seams appeared to be a bit loose, I made the upper parts tight and let the lower sides be the victims.

spit25.thumb.jpg.864bf748e5deace70d2541177c76751f.jpg

spit26.thumb.jpg.bbdd0afd7deb9b26f72ff5f2d43fd1d3.jpg

BTW, if we think of the British roundel as the letter 'O', then the identification letters spell out the word 'DORF', which is German for 'village'. I have no idea if that has any cosmic significance. 🤔

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Current builds  

Completed works.

27 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Great find, OC!

Thanks Keith.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

For instance, does the kit have propeller variants?

Although the Spitfire was produced in about five bazillion different marks, this kit depicts a particular aircraft at a particular point in time, so no optional parts. Other kits do sometimes have such options. I have a Fokker E.V kit that has optional parts for four different liveries, and I also have a Sopwith Pup kit that has two different liveries, each with different armament.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 14 Rudder

The rudder has been added. The Spitfire had only a single actuator for its rudder, mounted on the port side. On the starboard side is an actuator for the rudder trim tab. Also, the rudder should have a small navigation light; the kit has locator marks for it printed on the rudder, but provides no part for it. It is also shown on the diagrams, but without any part number.

spit27.thumb.jpg.6bc2e873b552538ef9ce0b5d4f52d8f9.jpg

Next up will be the horizontal stabilizers and elevators -- parts galore!

spit28.thumb.jpg.505fe59861112a8be05000dd0fccbb09.jpg

For anyone who is curious, the early marks of Spitfire differed primarily in their power plants, with newer marks of the Merlin providing increased horsepower resulting in greater aircraft performance. The three main variants of the Mk V were in turn based in the differences in their armament. The Mk Va kept the eight .303 Brownings of the earlier marks, the Mk Vb replaced four of the Brownings with a pair of 20 mm cannon whose size and ammunition drums necessitated some changes to the wing, and the Mk Vc introduced what was called the "universal wing", which could carry either combination of weapons. Both the Mk Vb and Mk Vc were produced in tropicalized versions, each characterized by having a prominent chin-mounted duct for the necessary dust filtration system.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 15 Small Triumphs

You know us modelers -- we take pride in even the smallest of achievements, whether it's pulling off a difficult task or adding an extra little touch to our models. Remember the missing navigation light I mentioned earlier? Here's it's scratch-built replacement:spit29.jpg.62037ad2f774399bbf081db279ce8471.jpg

Skills-wise, I wasn't particularly pleased with my work on the rudder. I got a little hasty and careless, and the rudder shows this (if you know where to look -- which I do). So, for the horizontal stabilizers, I told myself to slow down, work carefully, double-check all fits before gluing, and -- most importantly, don't use fingers to clamp flat surfaces glued over internal frames! 😬 And this is the result on the port-side horizontal stabilizer, shown with it's un-skinned starboard-side partner -- not a starving cow in sight. As my Hispano-Teutonic friends might say, "mucho besser!"

spit30.thumb.jpg.f153d16755c5c14011db405741a401b2.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, amateur said:

how do you know?

Since I started collecting (hoarding?) Halinski kits, I have been completely turned off to kits with very basic graphics. I still have some of the latter, but I don't get excited about the prospect of building them.

BTW, there were still some Halinski kits leftover at the sale going on over at papermodelers.com, so I picked up a Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless (with laser-cut frames), a Hawker Hurricane Mk. I with canopy, and a Macchi C.205 Veltro. The addiction is real. 😵

P.S. The Dauntless is a beast of a model -- just imagine Halinski's insane level of interior detail doubled for a two-seater aircraft. It can also be built with its split dive flaps deployed.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 16 Empennage

Whew! The empennage is now complete. Quite a bit of work went into the horizontal stabilizers and elevators; together, they consist of 60 parts, which is substantially more than is found in most kits.

spit31.thumb.jpg.c517ec3f9caa8a4a50f19e77c95c1901.jpg

spit32.thumb.jpg.02374e2c170a7d792027179f6b46940c.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Quite a bit of work went into the horizontal stabilizers and elevators; together, they consist of 60 parts, which is substantially more than is found in most kits.

For comparison, I checked Halinski's F4F-3 Wildcat kit published in 1998. The horizontal stabilizers + elevators in that kit consist of only eight parts total.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 17 Wing, Pt. I

Whew -- 26 pieces in the framing! Actually, there are 30 pieces, because two of the pieces had their interlocking slots cut out from the bottom when they were designed to be cut out from the top. 😮 So I had to cut each into three separate pieces to glue them in correctly. The framework is pretty solid now, though early on in the construction sequence it was pretty flimsy, such that I accidentally broke two pieces. 🙄 But PVA glue works wonders in such instances.

spit33.thumb.jpg.3e51d1ccd5d91c80b67068f76ef6bac5.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just read your log from the beginning Chris and please count all posts as "liked".  This is another great card kit and as noted by others, the graphic printing on the model is quite extraordinary and so convincing.  But it still takes a talented modeler to execute and bring the model to life as you are doing here (and as you did in your previous build.)  Very nice work!

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Chris,

Can't wait to see skin on the wings. I am sure it will blow away my Revell P-51B plastic skin with its huge 40 grit rivets.

my brain continues to tell me its a card model (I have advances from using the term 'paper' 😃 ) But my eyes tell me your build is way beyond a card model..... I have never seen such a thing. I would love to have a one-question modelers quiz when you finish. I would ask: What do you think this model is made of? No way a noticeable percentage comes back "card".....

BrianK

Ch. 18 Wing, Pt. II -- Drama! Sort of.

So, skinning the wing begins with the center section -- no difficulties there. Neither were there any problems with the port-side skin (on the right in the photo, cuz we're looking at the bottom). Note the cut-out for the aileron -- all is in order.

spit34.thumb.jpg.217d35fd3014902468493aedafe1fa37.jpg

Now on to the starboard skin. First, a dry fit -- again, look at the aileron cut-out.

spit35.thumb.jpg.bab2157b28e469535fd988c6f83b4289.jpg

Wow. That's off -- by a lot. What can be done about this? In this instance, what's required is . . . SURGERY!

We start by slicing the wing in half. 😵  Don't worry -- this will be fixed.

spit36.thumb.jpg.de67ffb1e0fc86c25e548b0d9845e42b.jpg

One nice thing about using laser-cut frames is that the printed templates for frames don't get used. That means we can use the printed template and a scrap piece of 1 mm beer mat to make a new piece to perfectly fit the gap created when the wing was cut.

spit38.thumb.jpg.01929b72a82ff73994d0d7e555ac39b5.jpg

After gluing that piece in and allowing it to dry, we attach the skin.

spit37.thumb.jpg.ca25ebbb0ed182e0352b4caa26602ba2.jpg

With the skin in place, we can determine the new position for the remaining frames and glue them in. And here's the result.

spit39.thumb.jpg.863b414d3b5979f1fa18a588adaf8fb1.jpg

A small amount of material will need to be removed from the extra piece in order for the wheel well to fit, but other than that the repair has been a success. Onward!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ok, the framing is off a bit compared to the skin... I see that.. how does one determine where to cut the framing to shift it to match the skin which I assume was checked for accuracy beforehand...

Then what I didn't see is how you reconnected the center frame/wheelwell to the wingtip frame shifted a bit... I'm not seeing it... I guess I'm blind...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

how does one determine where to cut the framing to shift it to match the skin which I assume was checked for accuracy beforehand...

Then what I didn't see is how you reconnected the center frame/wheelwell to the wingtip frame shifted a bit... I'm not seeing it

Determining where to cut wasn't too difficult. Only the framing that contained the aileron cut-out needed to be shifted, and the spot I selected required cutting the least amount of material. The frames were rejoined as a butt joint between the new stringer and the existing stringer. I took another picture, just for you. 🙂  BTW, the misalignment was likely just some sloppy workmanship.

spit40.thumb.jpg.37a26095db12ec00d2866cf8cb3877b0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco