Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vb by ccoyle - FINISHED - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD - aircraft flown by Jan Zumbach as commander of No. 303 Squadron RAF 1942

ccoyle

Thanks Chris, plain as day now...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Ch. 19 Wing, Pt. III

Wheel wells have been added, along with part of the wing radiator. Next up will be the wing's dorsal surfaces -- but I have to go back to work tomorrow after two weeks off for Christmas, so construction will not proceed as quickly. 😟

spit41.thumb.jpg.068fb902a49c5b76bd4b78b74f58f79a.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Ch. 19 Wing, Pt. III

Wheel wells have been added, along with part of the wing radiator. Next up will be the wing's dorsal surfaces -- but I have to go back to work tomorrow after two weeks off for Christmas, so construction will not proceed as quickly. 😟

spit41.thumb.jpg.068fb902a49c5b76bd4b78b74f58f79a.jpg

Thats a lame excuse  - you have the evenings  - "we need you"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 1/3/2022 at 12:50 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Thats a lame excuse  - you have the evenings  - "we need you"

Aw, thanks -- it's nice to feel needed! In the meantime, I have added the wings upper surfaces, along with its single box radiator (that particular structure required some staring at diagrams, help from images online, and meditation). I will upload a picture once I get the wing's various other bits added.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Interlude

Well, since I have returned to work, the pace of this build has slowed waaaaay down. Last night, I got an aileron done, as in one, singular. Hopefully I will get the other one done tonight. They are not easy, as they are triangular in cross-section and tapered along their length.

In the meantime, my anxiously awaited package arrived today, containing four more issues of card modeling goodness from the estate sale at Paper Modelers. Let's see what came!

First, there are three kits from Halinski, whoo-hoo! The first is a 2002 kit of a Hawker Hurricane Mk I. This kit is one that was published during Halinski's transitional phase, before they had fully morphed into the Tamiya of card models. It's a great kit, just not as complex as later models, e.g. it doesn't have separate control surfaces. I would consider it to be similar in many regards to kits published by Kartonowa Kolekcja. I also received the molded canopy for this kit.

581333564_kahurricanecover.thumb.jpg.b20fbc930e3f1c4daacbd94d6bb0242f.jpg

2064855119_kahurricaneparts.thumb.jpg.92cdb2f3a56212441400045b058ef2b4.jpg

Then we have the Halinski Macchi C.205 Veltro, a plane with great lines. This kit is similar in complexity to the Spit. No frames for this kit -- in the photo, it just happens to be sitting atop another kit that has them.

315663304_kaveltrocover.thumb.jpg.2d1e89010c532b7f4141157df7a273c4.jpg

786944957_kaveltroparts.thumb.jpg.84b189823799fda43d3631b5247c7e2a.jpg

And last from Halinski, the Douglas SBD-3 Dauntless. As I said, this kit is a beast. It has nine pages of printed parts and a whopping eleven pages of diagrams -- not for the faint of heart! Happily, I got the laser-cut frames with this kit as well.

1259369645_kadauntlesscover.thumb.jpg.4b5002b66666bd4e4fbde95d8af1f1a3.jpg

1384207386_kadauntlessparts.thumb.jpg.9406c6cadd369eeb3397415d1d725271.jpg

1877572846_kadauntlessdiagrams.thumb.jpg.38a89109fc2927dcb41997d495743bf4.jpg

And finally, one kit from Orlik, a Dewoitine D.520 in Vichy markings, along with the kit's laser-cut frames. This is the same publisher that produced my recently completed Ki-43 Oscar, so it is similar in complexity, though not weathered. Curiously, the kit has optional separate control surfaces, but one of them has a handwritten note next to it that says "corrected part in MS406"; since I don't have the Orlik Morane-Saulnier MS.406 kit, it looks like I'll be building this one without the optional parts. Even without them, this is still a much nicer kit than the recently aborted Bloch MB.152.

763986608_d520cover.thumb.jpg.ed4e28295b9e76b2e3f2b041db1c0d48.jpg

1049628801_d520parts.thumb.jpg.ee5bc13d563d9f347cedeacdadac6edd.jpg

That's it for now, but I still have a little bit of Christmas on the way. I'll make an announcement about that when it arrives. 

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Very nice indeed  -  looks so  lifelike.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

quite a bit of progress Chris.......looks superb!  :)    good save on the wing issue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the Dewoitine kit I mentioned above can be built either with or without Vichy markings. The Vichy machine would of course be more colorful -- but then it would be, you know -- a Vichy machine. It will be a tough decision, but not a soon-pending one.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Ch. 21 Wing, Pt. V: Fillets

As the chapter title suggests, wing fillets are done. These are always fiddly, because they curve in three different directions, so it's a relief when they are finished and haven't turned out too badly. The small port in the wing root is where the gun camera is located, and yes, the kit has separate parts for a gun camera, albeit a very simplified one -- never did a kit with a gun camera before.

spit44.thumb.jpg.2122d3c38c955418f8fe2ccb7f601753.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That's first I've heard of any kit having a gun camera.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, you know it's not complete till it has a gun camera....

How else will we know what it's been flying around with?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Chris,

"sloppy" is not a word I am thinking about looking at your beautiful work.....

You may laugh but you inspired me to pull the trigger on a Drafmodel paddle wheeler card kit from ebay. It will be a first attempt at a card model when I get to it.  😃

BrianK

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

you inspired me to pull the trigger on a Drafmodel paddle wheeler card kit

I know the kit, and it's a good one. Here's a link to a finished one to inspire you.

I mentioned in an earlier reply that this particular aircraft is one of the most famous Spitfires flown, and if to underscore that point, I saw this very aircraft depicted in a suggested YouTube video last night.

142251737_spitvideo.thumb.jpg.fa3c8e9ab11f0b6c8d1d8fbd9db09d2b.jpg

EDIT: I just now noticed that the video has been viewed 3.3 million times! 😮

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

5 minutes ago, amateur said:

and now the camera is inside the wing, and you didn't show us?

Or did you just skip the camera, knowing that nobody could ever figure out whether it is there or not?

The highly simplified "camera" is recessed inside the wing and not visible, much less noticeable, unless you look directly at it from head-on. Most people will not even spot it if they view the finished model later, and 9 out of 10 publishers wouldn't even include such a detail. But, you know -- Halinski.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, this looks so good, I still struggle to believe these are made with card, they look that good.  

Love a Spitfire and extra excited today, just learned (and pre-ordered! 😆) that Airfix are releasing a 1/24 Spitfire Mr.IXc  😍 - yeah that Airfix 1970's Mk.1a mould can finally be retired! 🥳

Edited by AJohnson

So, as I said, work continues rather slowly. Over the last few evenings I have been working on the canopy and armored windscreen. The clear portion is a pre-formed canopy from Halinski; the armored windscreen is cut from sheet mylar using a supplied template. As many higher-end kits do, this kit came with both inner and outer canopy framing. Before fixing the frames to the canopy, they must first be edge-colored, as per usual, but with a slight twist. Because of the thickness of the clear plastic, some slight amount of the plain white reverse side of each frame will be visible, more so if the inner and outer frames are aligned less than perfectly. Therefore, the back of each frame must also be painted. What's tricky to remember is that the back of each frame should be painted with the color that is seen from the opposite side of the plastic, i.e. the backside of interior framing gets painted with the exterior color and vice versa. I don't always remember to do that last part correctly. 😬

Using the canopy glue from Evergreen has had its own learning curve. I have found that it adheres paper to plastic quite well, especially if it is allowed to set the entire recommended 24-hour curing time. Once cured, it resists a substantial amount of deformation, which typically happens when the flimsy canopy parts have been cut apart and require extra finishing (this flimsiness led to a few boo-boos during trimming and sanding). The glue does not dry completely clear, though, so a lot of care has to be used to not get it everywhere when applying it and putting the parts together. Its working time allows parts to be moved around a little, but not very much -- it tends to grab pretty quickly. With all that in mind, I'm somewhat pleased with the result, though I have no doubt that later efforts will be better.

1700882485_spitcanopy.jpg.21ac8759eba3fbbb62bdde1f6bab6302.jpg

I have test-fitted the canopy to the fuselage and so far it looks good, but I will not attach it until later.

In the meantime, I have been toying with the idea of spraying satin varnish on the model to give it a slight sheen. I have done some research online regarding just how shiny RAF wartime finishes were. As I suspected, the paints used on preserved Spitfires are applied with more of a view toward long-term preservation rather than keeping the few remaining Spits unobserved by Luftwaffe eyeballs, and glossier paints are more durable. However, I also read that the small size of scale models makes them appear to be more matte in appearance than their real-life counterparts, so a bit of shine may be in order. Not wanting to do a test spray on the model itself, I am conducting a test on the next best thing -- the kit's cover art -- and will report back on what I discover.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I am conducting a test on the next best thing -- the kit's cover art -- and will report back on what I discover.

I discovered that after two coats of satin varnish, the matte printing still looks . . . matte.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, test a piece with gloss and see if you can tell a difference. The canopies turned out really nice, all three clear as a bell. 

It's amazing how much of a visual difference is made by killing a white spot -- compare the starboard wing to its port side counterpart.

2133872059_spitpic.thumb.jpg.8bba5247607de3cbd4e3641bac6d8861.jpg

On the real plane, the bulge you see was made necessary by the addition of the drum-fed Hispano 20 mm cannon; the bulge, along with another on the bottom of the wing, covered the gun's ammunition drum. The early cannons were not a resounding success -- while they fired a heavier shell, the drums carried only a small number of rounds -- about 10 seconds' worth, if I remember correctly. In any case, pilots rarely got the whole 10 seconds of fire thanks to the gun's tendency to jam, often after only a few rounds.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I was doing a bit of shopping this morning. I think they may be trying to tell me something. 🤔

image.png.339f4039e167380741f9c07b9da808fd.png

Side note: Yes, the frames in the product photo are obviously not for a Zero. It's quite common for photos of laser-cut elements in listings to feature a generic set rather than the actual product.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

A bit of further progress. All gun blisters complete, along with the oil cooler and air inlet. The latter was a booger to build. I wound up with a part left over. 🤔

spit45.thumb.jpg.429aeafe4e9bb37ac90103a62b071ecf.jpg

Work on the landing gear is in progress. On the left are the port strut and door. On the right are the parts for the starboard strut and door, just for comparison. Not hard work, but kind of tedious. Once these are done it will be time for wheels.

spit46.thumb.jpg.d773979fecd9ae388197799255a626a2.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

7 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

I trust you survived the crazy weather this weekend!

We got maybe three inches of snow. That's enough to get the locals excited and paralyze commerce, but it's less than what we were accustomed to in California and substantially less than the 8-12" in the initial forecasts.

I have titled this photo "The Wrath of Izzy."

317253499_snow01162022.thumb.jpg.0c1db102cc0dc732f5d67e3b94909b34.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Wheels (I lost track of what chapter this is.)

The main gear wheels are each made of five laminated discs. The outer discs were dunked in shellac to prepare them for rough handling and sanding. Here's the laminated wheels.

spit47.thumb.jpg.a3151241c6fc107429889c5e8fc6870e.jpg

And here they are after final shaping, painting, and having their hubs added. That darn paint has a tendency to pick up all kinds of dust.

spit48.jpg.fa92253a68190db765123a2f7ad89976.jpg

And here she sits on her new shoes, including tail wheel.

spit49.thumb.jpg.bcdfb607a0b595d17b00f37157e1ab06.jpg

Still bits to add, but since each won't individually make a huge visual impact, I think this will be the last update until The Big Reveal. Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looks great so far, Chris!

Note: we had to dig out (partially) from about two to three feet of the white stuff. No workshop time at all today!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Chris, don't worry about dust on the tires.  Makes the tires look used.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)