F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

chuckle} Since I hold the strong belief brother that there is no such critter as a stupid question,

I was always of the mind that the only stupid question was the one you wanted to ask but were too afraid or too embarrassed to ask! 

7 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I was always of the mind that the only stupid question was the one you wanted to ask but were too afraid or too embarrassed to ask! 

Amen... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Looks great from here, EG.  Doesn't look like a shiney new bird but one with some flying time on it.  I do like that look.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A very realistic look. The panels with the weapon grooves stand out from the main fuselage exactly as you described them (with the pictoral aid of the actual aircraft) early on in your log.

Your perseverance rewards with a great bmf!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Shading turned out well. The gun panels didn't quite stand out as much as pictures show, but you did capture the differences.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

I really don't think I'm ever going to hear one either...

That is because people like me can be so stupid that they are not even aware that there should be a question so don't ask it.

I have been trying to gather the proper documentation and fill out Government papers for most of the week now using instructions that were clearly not written for the 26 pages of document I have been filling out, or written by an idiot, or both. It appears that the only way to get ahold of someone in Homeland Security Immigration is by holding a séance, or possibly getting arrested by them. "Submit in triplicate" is a term I have not heard since my military days but they use it so much I think it must be a stamp that they just pound the form with randomly. I have reached the point that as I cannot find a way to actually contact a human that I will just have to submit the forms and documents and cross my fingers that I guessed correctly.:blink:🤔 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

As you prompted, I am firing my opinion here.

It looks like a realistic structural bare aluminium finish. As Mark said in a post above, it has the look of a used airframe which, in many cases, I prefer to the buffed shiny finish mostly used for displays, because I like the machines that are there to do a 'work' (but this my opinion). In the picture from 3/4 from the tail, where you see the fuselage shortened by perspective, I can see the texture variation made by the panels and the image of fuselage which is softly reflected into the upper wing, all things which I find realistic. 

As you used to say, go onwards and make justice to one of the most graceful airframe ever designed. 👍

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Danstream
typos

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

18 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Finish looks very real to me. EG, nice job.

17 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks great from here, EG.  Doesn't look like a shiney new bird but one with some flying time on it.  I do like that look.

16 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

A very realistic look. The panels with the weapon grooves stand out from the main fuselage exactly as you described them (with the pictoral aid of the actual aircraft) early on in your log.

Your perseverance rewards with a great bmf!

11 hours ago, Canute said:

Shading turned out well. The gun panels didn't quite stand out as much as pictures show, but you did capture the differences.

4 hours ago, Danstream said:

As you prompted, I am firing my opinion here.

It looks like a realistic structural bare aluminium finish. As Mark said in a post above, it has the look of a used airframe which, in many cases, I prefer to the buffed shiny finish mostly used for displays, because I like the machines that are there to do a 'work' (but this my opinion). In the picture from 3/4 from the tail, where you see the fuselage shortened by perspective, I can see the texture variation made by the panels and the image of fuselage which is softly reflected into the upper wing, all things which I find realistic. 

As you used to say, go onwards and make justice to one of the most graceful airframe ever designed. 👍

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Gentlemen, it is much appreciated...

Yes I was a bit disappointed that they turned out as light as they did... They need to be a tad darker... I think I know why they came out so light, I rubbed on the Pewter over the Silver when I should have black based the panels first giving that dark undercoat.... I've debated over the last few hours on should I attempt to correct it, but I think the risk of screwing the pooch is just too great, in person they do show up from 20 ft away across the room so is it worth it?

I think I'm going with no it isn't worth it the risk is too great... and a lesson learned for the next time...

Decals coming next....

EG

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

That is because people like me can be so stupid that they are not even aware that there should be a question so don't ask it.

I have been trying to gather the proper documentation and fill out Government papers for most of the week now using instructions that were clearly not written for the 26 pages of document I have been filling out, or written by an idiot, or both. It appears that the only way to get ahold of someone in Homeland Security Immigration is by holding a séance, or possibly getting arrested by them. "Submit in triplicate" is a term I have not heard since my military days but they use it so much I think it must be a stamp that they just pound the form with randomly. I have reached the point that as I cannot find a way to actually contact a human that I will just have to submit the forms and documents and cross my fingers that I guessed correctly.:blink:🤔 

Well Brother, your now introducing government into the equation.... {chuckle} and that point all attempts at determination of the stupidness of questions goes out the window... I believe government has the franchise on stupid questions... (heck they created the standard in the first place)

Before government we only had to deal with fool questions... That is a lot higher standard that stupid questions... Fool questions represent a lack of knowledge not stupidity, questions where the government already knows the answers are stupid questions... (and the government inundates us with them daily)

You haven't asked a stupid question yet... (no fool questions either so don't go there) {chuckle}

Besides anyone willing to stand in an open helicopter door and fly around at 120 kts at less then 100 ft altitude is entitled to ask any question they want to.... They've earned the right...

Quote:

Short Update....

Beginning the decaling process... This is going to take a while, the Decals are marked 2007, 15 years old and I've already had one split... Not sure who made the decals but 15 years? they shouldn't be splitting...

Wing bottom first...

IMG_0282.thumb.JPG.14429ab79e8a889a0435230cc8a791bf.JPG

Given the fragileness of the decals this will be a slow process, set a few, let them dry set a few more... The main decals have to go on first cause the technical decals have to go over some of them... Wing bottom first so I could judge how well the decals react, I guess I found out.... Also there aren't too many of them so it lets me judge on how to approach the remaining ones... 

The yellow stripe on the fuselage is going to be the difficult one... Fortunately the Print-Scale set does give me the black border stripes for the yellow ID bands, so if the Kinetic decals disintegrate I'll have a way to recover...

Wish me luck I'm going to need it...

EG

Quote:

Thank you Andy...

It would if I had some brother, the decals are not as bad as some I've worked with, it just takes patience and thankfully there isn't a lot of them... If I have to go to paint that's not an issue either, it was just unexpected is all...

Quote:

Bottom of the wing... Done decaling except for trimming & clearcoating

IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.276fe9720925cec8754a763ad6a10518.JPGIMG_0283.thumb.JPG.5b1849b10da68cdbad1f6c7c2217cd51.JPGIMG_0284.thumb.JPG.379dcdb10e940214191cc386b7b19225.JPGIMG_0285.thumb.JPG.be5bba888b308c32cc878a7395aacb18.JPG

My eyes are so bad I can't read them anymore.... Probably be the last time I go to this level of decaling....

But anyways, on to the top side of the wing... There's even more of them there...

Onwards....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Those decs  have settled down  so well  -  lovely  detail showing through  them.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Or you can work under a lit magnifying lens. Works a treat for those teeny details and PE parts. leaves both hands free to do your modeling tasks.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

18 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Those decs  have settled down  so well  -  lovely  detail showing through  them.

OC.

Thanks OC....

Yeah, Micro Sol works great for sucking down decals.... 30 years of using it and I've still not found anything better...

Quote:

5 hours ago, Javlin said:

EG I p/u at Hobby Lobby one of those small hand held magnifier with a light you use for coins it aided me on the the last build knowing up and down.She's coming together well never notice or did I "forest for the trees" effect the canning to the surface?:imNotWorthy:

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Or you can work under a lit magnifying lens. Works a treat for those teeny details and PE parts. leaves both hands free to do your modeling tasks.

A few years back I broke down and bought a set if these...

IMG_0296.thumb.JPG.1a05e876624fab3dadde2516a6bde626.JPG

They work beautifully, this is how I know it's my eyes getting older, even using the highest mag lens in the kit I still can't read them, sometimes can't even see if they are upside down or not...

We all have to get old.... It's not going to stop me though, and I'll do the best I can.... When they get to the point where I cant focus on them at all is when I'll stop...

Medical is really slowing me down at this point.....

anyway.....

Onwards...!!!

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

5 hours ago, Javlin said:

She's coming together well never notice or did I "forest for the trees" effect the canning to the surface?:imNotWorthy:

Thanks Jav...

I didn't notice it either until I made it real shiny for the RnB finish, then the reflections of it stood out where you couldn't miss it... Stealth details {chuckle} I was hoping that they would come thru when the finish was completed and they did... It does have an overall effect that you can't replicate... And it's the first time I've ever seen it on an injection molded kit...

There is some amazing technology being applied to our hobby, is it a wonder that the prices keep going up? (but when this kit was released over a decade ago it listed at 39.99 I wonder if they really knew what the effectiveness of their artwork was)

Quote:

Another short update...

Upper wing surfaces....

IMG_0296.thumb.JPG.03e4ac35a0ec4a7a9a519e75b7372a14.JPG

They were brittle especially the long thin walkway stripes, also, Kinetic left them long which means they have to be trimmed on the ends, another needless difficult task in application....

IMG_0297.thumb.JPG.03f9bc25bb5ccd2cbe7de6fa2f6e9252.JPGIMG_0298.thumb.JPG.a72be25e437d4038e769262fdda3b744.JPG

You can easily see here why the technical details needed to go over the insignia markings, not really a hassle, but makes the order of application a bit complicated at times...

IMG_0290.thumb.JPG.d4dfe3986faa12b28877d6045f219aa3.JPGIMG_0295.thumb.JPG.4c4b836b3fb397b8e3260bf84d5a33be.JPG

Anyway the upper wing surface is now done as well, time for the decal sealing coat of future... (after I fix some of the tiny fracture issues)

On to the fuselage my friends...

Quote:

The wings look great. The detail is very impressive and so is the finish. The magnifiers are a huge help to me. I think I would have had to give up without them. I found a pair that have 5X magnification but the focal length is so short that I am hitting the parts with my nose so I stick with the 3.5 X

Great Job

Alan

Well, it was going too good to last...

The big yellow fuselage stripe?

IMG_0301.thumb.JPG.4f0b271263ddb7a82fd52780514110bb.JPG

Didn't even make it off the backing paper...

Now I've got to do it the hard way...  And yeah, it has to go on first.... And wouldn't you know it? that's right, I'm out of Insignia Yellow.... {chuckle}

Oh well, the life of a plastic hacking modeler... {chuckle}

Onwards...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

32 minutes ago, king derelict said:

The wings look great. The detail is very impressive and so is the finish. The magnifiers are a huge help to me. I think I would have had to give up without them. I found a pair that have 5X magnification but the focal length is so short that I am hitting the parts with my nose so I stick with the 3.5 X

Great Job

Alan

Thanks Alan....

Yeah I find the 2.5 -3.5's the best for FOV & magnification, the higher ones narrow the view so much that you have to really be on top of what your working on... Just have to get used to wearing them...

Quote:

Get your eyes checked regularly. You may have cataracts.

Ken

54 minutes ago, Canute said:

Get your eyes checked regularly. You may have cataracts.

Every year brother, the insurance company pays for it... last checkup  no cataracts, but we all know that could change... My glasses are prescribed for driving/distance but they may need adjusting... 

I've already put in the order for the paint with True North... They say 5-7 days to get here... I guess I can work on the landing gear and empennages while I wait... I'm debating on trying the Verticle stabilizer decal, that black checkerboard one which is fairly large as well... Better to know now rather than later...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 7/31/2022 at 5:55 AM, Egilman said:

Besides anyone willing to stand in an open helicopter door and fly around at 120 kts at less then 100 ft altitude is entitled to ask any question they want to.... They've earned the right..

Oh heck, that was the best job around considering where I was.

What other job can you think of where everyday you get to zoom around the tops of trees at hot rod speeds with the wind in your face making a bunch of noise? In addition you got the benefit of getting to shoot a machine gun and watch the tracers arc out and hit the target just like at the fair only with lights. And lastly on hot days, (Like most of them were) we carried our own fan.  😁 In addition we were paid an extra $120 each month, ($55 combat pay and $65 flight pay) tax free for doing it! You could live on that, and I did, sending the rest back to the world. In many ways it was a simple life, eat. sleep fly, fix, clean and shoot! Rinse and repeat as necessary. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I fell into the camp of "Speed is life". Most VC couldn't lead far enough to hit a fighter with rifle fire, unless it was the "golden BB". But they had bigger stuff that was a threat. The helo guys were the gutsiest, low and slow with maybe the aluminum foil between them and the unfriendly fire. Did you sit on your flak jacket?

The F-4 had armor plate on the belly, over some important gear, such as generators and hydraulic pumps. Unfortunately, our maintainers took them off because they interfered with their work? The doors were heavier and the bolt heads recessed in the armor. Plates disappeared, never to be seen. :rolleyes:

Ken

Lou is right.  Hanging out in the breeze from the spinning fan overhead.  Can't speak for Lou we had boiler plate on the floor at the gunner posts and a sheet hanging under the gun. Crude, but effective.  No flack jackets here.  We had bullet bouncers but hot and heavy.  Most didn't wear them.  Even the flack jacket was hot limiting. There was armor on our birds over the engines.   

Speed is life, true.  But flying down at tree top level at 100 mph usually didn't give them time to even raise a gun.  Higher altitudes, yes... nasty at times..

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 hours ago, lmagna said:

Oh heck, that was the best job around considering where I was.

What other job can you think of where everyday you get to zoom around the tops of trees at hot rod speeds with the wind in your face making a bunch of noise? In addition you got the benefit of getting to shoot a machine gun and watch the tracers arc out and hit the target just like at the fair only with lights. And lastly on hot days, (Like most of them were) we carried our own fan.  😁 In addition we were paid an extra $120 each month, ($55 combat pay and $65 flight pay) tax free for doing it! You could live on that, and I did, sending the rest back to the world. In many ways it was a simple life, eat. sleep fly, fix, clean and shoot! Rinse and repeat as necessary. 

4 hours ago, Canute said:

I fell into the camp of "Speed is life". Most VC couldn't lead far enough to hit a fighter with rifle fire, unless it was the "golden BB". But they had bigger stuff that was a threat. The helo guys were the gutsiest, low and slow with maybe the aluminum foil between them and the unfriendly fire. Did you sit on your flak jacket?

The F-4 had armor plate on the belly, over some important gear, such as generators and hydraulic pumps. Unfortunately, our maintainers took them off because they interfered with their work? The doors were heavier and the bolt heads recessed in the armor. Plates disappeared, never to be seen. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Lou is right.  Hanging out in the breeze from the spinning fan overhead.  Can't speak for Lou we had boiler plate on the floor at the gunner posts and a sheet hanging under the gun. Crude, but effective.  No flack jackets here.  We had bullet bouncers but hot and heavy.  Most didn't wear them.  Even the flack jacket was hot limiting. There was armor on our birds over the engines.   

Speed is life, true.  But flying down at tree top level at 100 mph usually didn't give them time to even raise a gun.  Higher altitudes, yes... nasty at times..

And that gives you all the right to ask any damn question you like... IMHO.... {chuckle}

Edited by Egilman

Quote: