F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

The Sabre looks very good. Keep posting.

I am following, although sometimes in a silent mode.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Nice  increment with the external pieces. Look good. 😁

This isn't a race, brother. We appreciate what you can do, despite feeling as you do.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, Canute said:

This isn't a race, brother. We appreciate what you can do, despite feeling as you do.

Amen to that! 

What you can, when you can, is fine with us especially when it is always excellent work😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks great EG.  Having something to focus on is important especially when there's medical stuff going on.  Keep the faith that all will be well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, CDW said:

Man, that looks good. Very very good!

You hang in there and take care of yourself first. We are all pulling for you EG.

On 9/10/2022 at 1:53 AM, Danstream said:

The Sabre looks very good. Keep posting.

I am following, although sometimes in a silent mode.

Dan

On 9/10/2022 at 5:11 AM, AJohnson said:

Looking very good, keep plugging away when you can EG 👍

On 9/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, Canute said:

Nice  increment with the external pieces. Look good. 😁

On 9/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Amen to that! 

What you can, when you can, is fine with us especially when it is always excellent work😉

On 9/12/2022 at 12:25 PM, mtaylor said:

Looks great EG.  Having something to focus on is important especially when there's medical stuff going on.  Keep the faith that all will be well.

Thank you brothers, it's been a while since I have posted on this, still not stable enough to do any real work but I'm hanging in...

Got my final deliveries today.... (just a hint of where I'm going with this)

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.42adc500d28d7a02f152983942cb8afb.JPG

On the left I think I've acquired the last two Squadron True Details '50's GPU's available on the net... These were the GPU's given to the forward bases where the F-80's F-84's and F-86's flew, have to have one sitting next to her...

Bottom Center is the ubiquitous Clarktor Tractor If you were on a USAF airbase anywhere in the world from '43 to '81 you will recognize this... It has towed everything in the Airforce Inventory from F-80's to fully loaded B-50's

Top center is a combined package a set of post Korean war GPU & Air Start Cart You boys from Vietnam should be familiar with those particular items....

And on the right is the venerable MD-1 Towbar capable of latching on and towing any USAF aircraft... This is the early version that was hand cranked, the later version had electric motors for it's moveable parts...

I've also located several 3D files for Marsden Matting... The pressed steel plating used to build runways with since before the start of WWII.. None of them are very accurate but I've also located sufficient source documents to design up my own....

I think she would look nice on a proper period flight line....

Getting ready for the final push my friends....

Thanks for following and all the likes and well wishes...

It's greatly appreciated...

EG

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Glad to se you still plugging away, brother. All those acquisitions bring back memories, except for the GPU. We used MA-60s usually; it was an all in one unit instead of the multiple pieces you're using. Gawd, that MA-1A start cart trailer was loud. It had the same engine as the T-37 trainer planes and was just below a dog whistle in pitch. Ruined the hearing of a lot of us. Gonna be fun watching this dio unfold.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

5 hours ago, king derelict said:

All the ingredients of a spectacular set piece. Its going to be excellent

Alan

Thanks Alan, Im working towards getting it done...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, Canute said:

All those acquisitions bring back memories, except for the GPU. We used MA-60s usually; it was an all in one unit instead of the multiple pieces you're using. Gawd, that MA-1A start cart trailer was loud. It had the same engine as the T-37 trainer planes and was just below a dog whistle in pitch. Ruined the hearing of a lot of us. Gonna be fun watching this dio unfold.

I thought they might bring back some memories... I got most from Video Aviation, an Italian company that does quite a few of the flightline pieces in various scales....

A Dash-60 start cart is one of their offerings, actually an A/M32A-60 Starter Cart, it was designed specifically for the F-4 and they produce one... Not a bad price for what you get... When I do my Vietnam F-4E I'll pick one up...

This is my first dio in over two decades, probably a little rusty, but we will see...

Quote:

Those look like great accessories for the diorama.  Looking forward to seeing you pull it all together!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just some fuel and oil stains under the jet and tire marks. Simple.

So, they make a -60? Very cool. I should put one with a Phantom the local modeling club made for me back at McGuire. I got them flight line and runway supervisory unit access. Probably wrecked a few ear drums among that crew, but they loved hanging at the end of the runway, watching the jets being armed and then blasting off to fly training sorties. Afterburners are loud.  And I brought them back to watch the landings. I'm a lifetime member of their IPMS chapter for that and the gave me a custom Hasegawa F-4E. State of the art in 1989.

Ken

42 minutes ago, Canute said:

Afterburners are loud. 

Tell me about it ! My Fort Dix Army boot camp barracks (reopened WWII barracks) was right next to and parallel to one of McGuire's departure runways. The entire barracks shook when they decided to launch fighters before the sun rose.  Talk about reveille at 4 AM.  I'M AWAKE!  BUT I'M DEAF ! 

Edited by Jack12477

54 minutes ago, Canute said:

And I brought them back to watch the landings. I'm a lifetime member of their IPMS chapter for that and the gave me a custom Hasegawa F-4E. State of the art in 1989.

They are definitely great guys, most modelers are... Was the model in your markings? That would've been real real cool...

Still got to work out the marsden matting with appropriate light brown dirt and sandbags as well... over time like all jets they mark their territory, but I've been told that an active F-86, flown every day doesn't do that... But I'll probably put some down anyway.... Now the maintenance area was a different story.... Usually on the flight line in Korea, they would have a GPU's for each aircraft and that was it, everything else was shared... Still not sure what I'm aiming at depicting... I think for this bird, the way they designed her, you almost HAVE to put the FOD covers in place, which leads to RBF flags on them as well. so I'm leaning heavily to the normal flightline versus the Alert line as I originally envisioned it... but I'm still out on that one...

This is my F-4E... the Academy #12133, good reviews on this one, I'm hoping it turns out as well as my last F-4..

IMG_0355.thumb.JPG.9825760dc0c51c5152ab0cb000f27c0f.JPG

Quote:

Just popping up for a bit of air then back to the millstone of dealing with the assorted brainless branches of the US Government especially the Immigration people. I am beginning to see that the path to advancement in that branch of government is based solely on the lowest IQ possible as a precursor followed by brain damage caused by the forms they create. Unfortunately those same forms also are almost guaranteed to cause the same brain damage to the person required to fill them out. I am so at loss for words to cover your RL situation especially since others have been doing it so well while I have been deep in the pits of Government. I will try and stick my head out a little more often and see how my plane is progressing. Then deep one night when you least expect it your hanger will be missing one fantastic F-86. You have forgotten, I know where you live! To paraphrase Hemmingway Remember no one really knows for whom the bell tolls. Take care and beware for I will be looking until my bell tolls.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That F-4E is a Korat bird, where I lived one year. Ours were parked in steel revetments. Needed a medium sized Cushman and that tow bar you showed to maneuver the jet around to push it back into the revetment. You'll need an MJ-1 bomb hoist aka a jammer to load bombs and a couple of bomb carts loaded with MK-82s or CBU49/52/58, along with a -60.

The F-4E they did was my jet at McGuire, 68-388, tail code NJ. Grey overall, with a Tiger head on the nose. There used to be a decal set with our scheme for both the early green paint and later gray paint. The Tiger head is a looker.

Ken

Was it like this one Ken?3299925291_ab3cabb68a_b.jpg.41face2717bfdfee80dd4fb310b9b078.jpg

Picture from Flickr

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Yeah she did a stint in the Netherlands with the 313th TFS in the early 80's tail code HR...

She was withdrawn from Use in late '90 and sent to AMARC... Here is a pic of her in SEA scheme while she was in the Netherlands..

1265052999_F-4E0391520.thumb.jpg.3cab730fc63dce9f41d79d8eb5557af8.jpg

I can find any of her in the 141st FS markings tail code NJ, but I did find several others in those markings while with the NJANG... (in three different schemes as well)

SEA Scheme... 68-0527

F-4E_New_Jersey_(22065912364).jpg.62c00e390c8749cb512f3eb3dde41ef7.jpg

68-0413... (in ghost grey scheme) :correction, Hill Grey II scheme....

2076407685_F-4Escreenshot_328.png.63e865a4afb9da11ddc3cfe9a7b5274c.png

68-0378 (without the very nice Tiger marking) I believe this is the Euro II scheme of three greens)

531062977_F-4E0046357.jpg.10c0061c34570f2cadaf784b9401a992.jpg

68-0413 I believe at Macguire AFB in Euro I Scheme

1017192822_F-4E1169748.jpg.d0165ec6933a5e0977d79b34e353c86e.jpg

And finally...

68-0464 in Euro I scheme with the very best rendition of that Tiger head I've found...

1073513331_F-4Escreenshot_328(2).png.6e2a5aa133e340eef86531c5062d49c8.png

A very beautiful airplane my friend... Standing next to one always sent chills down my spine... (a young mans dreams of being a fighter pilot)

A spectacular airplane...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

That last may have been for some of us attending a Tiger Meet, although it may have been a stateside version. Fighter wing leadership was proud to play up the Tiger heritage (all fighter guys). The tanker leadership folks weren't nearly as fired up for any Tiger Meet activities. Our Ops Group Commander was an F-4 guy, but above him, they were tanker folks.

I was at one meet at Bitburg, on peacetime alert. Crazy good time for the Tiger folks. I wasn't in the Tiger Squadron there We were entertained by a doozy of a low altitude airshow. The F-111 leading the fly by lit off his fuel dump, without announcing it to the folks following him during the fly-by. A lot of airplanes disappeared into the clouds to avoid. We ground observers were very surprised.  The two security guys I was up in a guard tower watching the show both turned to me and asked what happened. It was pretty dangerous.

There is no mistaking an F-4 by any of our senses. We were top of the heap for a long time, until supplanted by Eagles and Vipers.

Edited by Canute

Ken

4 hours ago, Canute said:

That last may have been for some of us attending a Tiger Meet, although it may have been a stateside version.

Tell ya what, I just acquired a 141st TFS F-4E  the Revell/Monogram 1/32 F-4E Phantom II Kit #85-4668.. it has the decals for the tiger painted version I'll probably do both the grey scheme and an SEA scheme for them.... (But that Euro I scheme is particularly pretty)

I also have a decal set coming that has the Grey Tiger decal...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Looking forward to the F4 builds now, too.  Loved to see those birds both in Nam and in airshows stateside.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

EG, the gray and the wrap around gray/green are good choices. The pale gray belly (yeah, its an Fed Spec color in the gray range) is uninteresting, unless you do the Korat bird with the shark mouth. But what do I know, I'm prejudiced. 😁

Ken

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Looking forward to the F4 builds now, too.  Loved to see those birds both in Nam and in airshows stateside.  

I also was enamored by them except for the couple of times they came up on our tail, (Our blind spot unless we leaned out the doors and looked back) and went supersonic or close to it from about two feet away, (At least it seemed that close! ) Scared the living bejesus out of us. But they were gone so fast that awe and jealousy overcame the fear almost as soon as the shock was noticed.:o 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 10/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, lmagna said:

I am so at loss for words to cover your RL situation especially since others have been doing it so well while I have been deep in the pits of Government. I will try and stick my head out a little more often and see how my plane is progressing.

Brother, I know how the government can be distracting and infuriating at the same time, there are a lot of brainless branches of government today... I appreciate the thoughts and well wishes my friend... I will be fine, nothing to worry about I've been told...

She's looking at me with a great deal of patience right now, like she understands.... I know, weird thoughts... (but she does speak to me) Anyway, if I just happen to see she has flown the coop I would be honored if she hangars herself in your hanger... Psst: I know where you live as well... {chuckle}

Take care of yourself brother, runnin a might slower nowadays but still runnin....

Quote:

3 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, the gray and the wrap around gray/green are good choices. The pale gray belly (yeah, its an Fed Spec color in the gray range) is uninteresting, unless you do the Korat bird with the shark mouth. But what do I know, I'm prejudiced. 😁

Yeah, that Hill Grey II scheme is interesting and a bit on the attractive side as well, and that Euro I scheme is tugging at me hard.... And both of them are right up there in the skills department, real challenges to get them right... 

There are so many F-4's I would like to do particularly Robin Olds Scat is top of the list.... That would be a very nice SEA scheme as well... Then a T-bird, and a Blue Angels.... The classic F-4's...

My into to the J79 afterburners on an F-4 came at McChord AFB during one of their open houses, the T-birds were flying and I had a seat at the base of the tower in front of Hangar #2... Didn't hear them coming until they overflew the tower... the afterburners cut in at 300 feet and they went vertical... Talk about a nice quiet sunny afternoon enjoying the views of high powered aircraft and in a split second you can't hear anything else but the scream of those engines... The air pressure change made it feel like you would get blown back off the stands, You were never in any real danger, but it sure felt like it... And the sound was unbelievable... One hell of an impressive aircraft...

Quote:

5 hours ago, Egilman said:

Psst: I know where you live as well... {chuckle}

Yea but I have six people living here on all three floors now and a guard dog and cat. (Well the dog is a Shih-Tzu and would probably lick you to death as soon as bite you but he does have a mighty loud bark. The cat on the other hand while only weighing in at 7 pounds dripping wet, you DO NOT  want to get her wet, would rip you to ribbons if I threw her at you! :o Besides we lock the doors! We have a few guns around as well. The only problem is that these days they are all locked up and I am not certain if I have any ammo for several of them anyway. How things change after twenty years of retirement.

I have seen the airshow thing as well a number of times at different airshows. Try it at less than half that distance if that! Possibly Ken can tell us just how close they were allowed to fly to friendly aircraft while "Passing" and not get in trouble. Plus we had no idea any aircraft supersonic of not were anywhere inside of 25 miles from where we were until they were a dot in the sky again!

It will probably never sit in my hanger but I still think your F-86 has turned out fantastic with all of the fine detail and panel markings along with the bright Korean war colors. It is kind of like Mike and his silver with yellow wings planes of the 30s.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The F-4 had the capability to have parts of the airframe supersonic, even though the airspeed/Mach meter said it was subsonic. Wish I had a buck for every time we were questioned about supersonic flight. It's actually a banned activity over land, except for the huge ranges around Nellis and up toward Salt Lake. There could be others, but I'm a mostly East Coast flyer, so maybe over Montana there may be supersonic airspace. Off the coast, in designated training areas, have at it. 😁 I loved air to air combat, especially dissimilar combat.

Low flight over crowds was 500', but I think nowadays it's 1,000'. Can't be too safe, you know. We do have designated low flight areas, in remote areas. We did have a very nice area in central Pennsylvania that looked a lot like central Germany, with green rolling hills and valleys. That was a 100' floor. 😀

Ah, the J-79 -17 in the E model. Loads of thrust, great throttle response. For me,very reliable; one shutdown in 3000 hours. I had a total of 4000 hours in all types. Only knock was it smoked like a badly fired steam engine. They finally fixed it, about 8 years after they announced the modification. Swapped out the combuster cans behind the compressor section and voila, reduced smoke.!

Ken

16 hours ago, Canute said:

Low flight over crowds was 500', but I think nowadays it's 1,000'.

I know that, but it sure felt like it was a lot closer....

Gots a question brother last one before I go back to the Sabre....

The F-4E loadout, Mk82's of which type? there are the plain ol' unretarded iron, the retarded iron with extended fusing and the Snakeye.... They could be carried on a TER or an MER... Which ones were the predominate ones?

And the CBU's were carried in an SUU-30 casing, how were they usually mounted and how many? (oh and btw, the aftermarket companies list them as SUU-30's, not by their bomblet designations)

All of these are available in 1/32nd scale... The only question is how many kits you need to buy....

The F-4 kits I have and being delivered have no bombs, they do have the centerline drop tank and the outer wing tanks though and decent Sparrows for the aft bays but I'll have to find the ALQ-119 ECM pod that fits into the right side forward sparrow bay...

Could you give me an idea brother of what the typical tactical bomb loadout was?

Videoaviation has most of the stuff needed to do an excellent F-4E flight line from Korat or Udorn... (and the steel revetment walls are available as well)

Edited by Egilman

Quote: