F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

What a great find at HD.  I'm sure most if not all of never heard of that thing.    May I suggest you do a review of this tool here: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/69-reviews-model-shipwrighting-tools-parts-and-fittings/

Done Brother, It's definitely worth a look see...

2 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

I agree! I’m curious how it’s cleaned, since as a hobbyist, one can tend to bounce from colour to colour frequently (also seeing as most hobby jobs use less than an ounce of paint at a time).

Andy

Thank's Andy,

I would just run a bit of clear thinner through the adapter like you would an airbrush until it runs clear... Their website offers extra 3oz bottles with screw on lids so having multiple colors on hand would be easy to set up...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hello EG - I've been away for a bit and just catching up.  Great progress on this model and it's looking beautiful.  Your "Rub & Buff" results look fantastic and worth all the time you spend nailing down the technique.  And thanks for heads-up on the HD Preval sprayer - interesting.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thanks Gary... It's appreciated..

And My Pleasure, it worked for my application and should work for many others... Almost a must have tool for those not into airbrushes especially for the hard to lay paints......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Update...

Yes the painting with the heavy masking left a ridge that needed to be knocked down before finishing...

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.0acb2aa27897cbf7d5424839a30a2d7c.JPG

Hard to see but you can really feel it, it would show badly when shined up and decaled...

Knocking it down requires the use of a medium grade thin sanding stick...

IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.bd6c67e8b908095e063ecfb52e1aa1d9.JPGIMG_0331.thumb.JPG.83728734c6af88599f6062b611abdfbf.JPGIMG_0332.thumb.JPG.29d167fe5930e23bb9ae2b99cec6a1e5.JPG

320 grit... And of course no matter how careful you are your going to break down the RnB finish as well... so before we can hard shell with future, we need to retouch the RnB finish...

IMG_0333.thumb.JPG.24699ac9fb8e8f58256f3972557ded08.JPG

That looks good.. one of the great things with Rub N Buff is retouches are easy a slight skuff and a pointed q-tip is all it takes...

Next up Decaling....

Onwards...

Quote:

Unless the numbering system for sandpaper is different across the pond, I fear that 320 grit might be way too coarse. I wouldn't go any less that at least 600 and using it wet. Maybe you have different experience, but you can make some tries before committing the obtained result.

Kind regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

55 minutes ago, Danstream said:

Unless the numbering system for sandpaper is different across the pond, I fear that 320 grit might be way too coarse. I wouldn't go any less that at least 600 and using it wet. Maybe you have different experience, but you can make some tries before committing the obtained result.

Kind regards,

Dan

Very good point Dan Thank You...

I'm using what I had and being a compound curved surface a stick that could be manipulated on the bias was the best technique I thought of as it would leave a lot less disturbance of the surrounding surfaces than a sheet would... 320 is the smallest grit I have in stick form... It didn't take much to knock the ridge down, just a few passes with no pressure at all....  600 would have been better 3200 even better yet, but find me a narrow stick sander in 600 much less 3200... {chuckle} We are stuck using the tools we have on hand...

What it really shows is how thin the RnB actually is, only a mil or two...  But recovery is easy....

Quote:

37 minutes ago, Egilman said:

find me a narrow stick sander in 600 much less 3200... {chuckle} We are stuck using the tools we have on hand...

Your wish is my command sir ! 😄

Sanding sticks/pads.   Or 

SANDING-WAND-SET

I have the sanding twig set and the sanding wand set plus a set of flexible approx 1 inch square rubber sanding pad of grits from 3200 to 12000. I think I got the latter from Lee Valley

IMG_2022-08-08-16-05-50-240.thumb.jpg.79e978f64c013e2f38e7682a35dfea78.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Thanks Jack...

From those links I found what I should have...

https://www.micromark.com/Dual-Angle-Sanding-File-Set-Multiple-Grits-Set-of-9

from 60 to 12000 grit, perfect for the application.... Didn't even know they made such a critter, I already have the buffing pads, (3200 - 12000 Hobby Lobby) but they are too wide, good for flat surfaces, but next to impossible to control where your buffing on a compound curve... That's why I didn't use them...

Right tool for the job ands all that....

Thank you, filed in the learn something new every day section... (and ordered as well)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

I know Jack, they only go to 320 grit, I have the entire set 100 to 320 grit... they are what I used to knock the ridge down...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Ok Brothers another short update....

Fuselage Stripe....

IMG_0334.thumb.JPG.8d7325b80cb08b42abb3ff8103a01930.JPGIMG_0335.thumb.JPG.92b6673a5309293f5628aa7e365f6665.JPG

Accurate pointed stripe, 32 inches wide on the fuselage with the fuel port centered in the stripe... (properly located)

I just thought you all would like to see the outcome with all the angst that went into what usually would be a nothing job... (if the decal didn't disintegrate)

Now the finishing path is clear barring any other disasters...

ONWARDS... (finally)

Quote:

Well done, EG.   Rock on!!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking so nice  brother.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Bravo, EG, excellent rescue and onwards indeed!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks fantastic EG - really well done!  Thanks very much for sharing your techniques with us!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Nice save, bro. Classic look for a classic jet.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 8/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dave_E said:

Good recovery Mav! 👍👌😀

Thanks Dave...

On 8/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Jack12477 said:

Wow ! Came out looking real nice. Good save EG !

Thanks Jack, it was testing me...

On 8/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, mtaylor said:

Well done, EG.   Rock on!!!!

Thanks Mark, Amen Brother.... 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:47 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Looking so nice  brother.

OC.

Thank You OC...

On 8/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, Edwardkenway said:

Bravo, EG, excellent rescue and onwards indeed!

Thank You Ed...

On 8/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, king derelict said:

Really nice and sharp work on the fuselage stripe. Excellent

Alan

Thank you Alan, It's appreciated...

On 8/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks fantastic EG - really well done!  Thanks very much for sharing your techniques with us!

Thanks Mike, If anyone gets something out of them it's my pleasure...

On 8/10/2022 at 8:16 AM, CDW said:

Great looking, all your hard work paid off!

Thanks Craig, I'm still hoping...

On 8/10/2022 at 9:18 AM, Canute said:

Nice save, bro. Classic look for a classic jet.👍

Thank you Brother, yep a classic jet, one of the most beautiful airplanes ever created....

Quote:

Thank you all... I know it's been a while since I've posted an update, RL is intervening in a hard way right now, but I have been plugging along as best I can...

Decaling is about 3/4th's done, Just the right side of the fuselage to go...

Here are some pics of the slow progress...

IMG_0337.thumb.JPG.ad0b94513001e6d23bca4f5586acdecb.JPG

IMG_0338.thumb.JPG.e7f10f08965ca201ceea9e481163456a.JPG

There were a lot of those technical decals, still some to go all down the right side...

Sorry for the slow progress but health is a major concern right now, keeping the muse going is getting difficult... 

But I swear I'm gonna get this one done...

Thanks every one for following...

It means a lot...

IMG_0336.JPG

Quote:

Hang in there, brother. You're doin' fine. And you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Those yellow stripes against the aluminum are really sharp.  Very nice job!  Hang in there with everything my friend.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 hours ago, Canute said:

Hang in there, brother. You're doin' fine. And you're in our thoughts and prayers.

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

My sentiments also.  

I'm gonna say the exact same sentiment EG🙏👍

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thank you Brothers....

Just want you all to know how much your support is appreciated...

I went out and took a few more shots of the left side... Outside, since the Lord has graced us with beautiful sunny skies today.... I Never pass up the opportunity to enjoy such gifts...

Here they are....

IMG_0339.thumb.JPG.4fc651d70d493caa81a580fbf3978820.JPG

IMG_0340.thumb.JPG.a7a076242fdfb045f0c85c8cdb9ffd1d.JPGIMG_0341.thumb.JPG.1f9b3b053766eeaa90eca522f839960e.JPG

It never ceases to amaze me at how much better models look in direct sunlight....

Trying to figure out an appropriate backdrop for when I get her finished, I want her sitting in a semi-realistic setting... before I call her done...

Anyway... Onwards... (snails pace yes, but still moving forward, no looking back)

EG

IMG_0342.JPG

Quote:

Keep on trucking, EG.   We're all pulling for you.  I really think that our hobbies and friends is what keeps us sane and helps us fight the RL problems.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)