F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

Being loud makes it lower. 😉

We carried all 3 Mk82 configurations, but the vanilla version dominated. The other two were more for a troops in contact situations. By the time I got over there, US Army encounters were minimal with the Cong. Our usual load was on the inboard TERs, so 6 bombs per jet. The SUU-30s were bulky, so we only loaded on the shoulder stations. They'd scrape the concrete if they were ion the center mount. We'd carry 4 total. The jammers we had were ALQ 87 and 71. Carried up in the forward Sparrow racks. ALQ 119 showed up after Linebacker. I need to dig out my Dash 1 for where those loaded. I'm a little time constrained right now, so I'll be back later.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, Canute said:

The jammers we had were ALQ 87 and 71. Carried up in the forward Sparrow racks. ALQ 119 showed up after Linebacker.

The ALQ-71 is available in 1/32 aftermarket, but the -87 isn't, I'll have to raid my Trumpeter F-100 D for that one... And the Revell/Monogram kit comes with an ALQ-119, It has to have it for the NJANG Euro I scheme...

I just picked up a third F-4E Revell/Monogram... Now I've got three of them to do so I'll probably do the Academy as the SEA Korat Bird, (armed up with Mk-82 slicks and SUU 30's) and the two Revell/Monograms as the two ANG birds in Hill Grey II and Euro I schemes... (Sparrows and Sidewinders with triple drop tanks) This will mean I'll need an F-4C to do Col. Olds Scat 27...  A fourth to do the T-bird and another F-4J to do the Blue Angels version...

I'm gonna need a separate display case for the Phantoms alone... {chuckle} (you can never build just one, kinda why I've held off it for so long)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The only two F4's I built are still flying over my workshop,  one Navy, one Air Force. And in dire need  of a scrub down 😫 . Don't remember who made the kits, most likely Revell/Monogram given their age.

20221002_123850.thumb.jpg.7bfcd67564ea1b6f657dec6bf1c2a630.jpg20221002_123818.thumb.jpg.d6350c11dd256341f9877811a50af358.jpg

Looks like the AF one is Robin Olds ride, USN is Cunningham/Driscoll. They were the Navy's aces.

EG, don't mix the Mk82s with the CBUs. Can't  carry both if you have a 3 bagger (fuel tanks). You could put 4 CBUs on the shoulder mounts of the TERs and strap 6 Mk82s on a centerline MER. Load 2 x 370 gallon wing tanks. Only carried jammers if going up North. Allegedly there were no missiles outside of the Hanoi/Hai Phong area, but I took missile fire from Tchephone in Laos. No jammer on board, just wiley maneuvering to get them to miss.

Building F-4 models is like eating pistachios, you can't do just one. I have 3 rolling around the house. My first and last F-4Es in wood from a builder in the Philippines and the Hasegawa bird from that NJIPMS chapter.

Do up the gray one in an air to air configuration and the Euro one with a Pave Spike pod on the left forward Sparrow well and some LGBs on the inboards. I need to dig up my Dash One to see if they mount the LGBs on TERs or just bolt directly to the inboard pylons. The bigger ones definitely do mount directly; the 500 pounders may go on the TERs. I need a Weapons School refresher if I keep this up.😁

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Do up the gray one in an air to air configuration and the Euro one with a Pave Spike pod on the left forward Sparrow well and some LGBs on the inboards. I need to dig up my Dash One to see if they mount the LGBs on TERs or just bolt directly to the inboard pylons. The bigger ones definitely do mount directly; the 500 pounders may go on the TERs.

Thanks Ken...

Ok, Drop the centerline tank for an MER loaded with Mk 82 slicks, 4 CBU's (SUU-30's) on TER's mounted to the inboard pylons... Wing mounted drop tanks on the outer pylons... No need for the ALQ-71 or 87 in this configuration... What about the 4 sparrow mount slots? leave them? or fill them?

Ok the Missouri ANG aircraft in Hill Grey II with 4 sparrows and 4 sidewinders with full tankage...

And the New Jersey ANG 141st TFS  with an ALQ119 in the right forward sparrow slot, an AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike in the left sparrow slot, two Aft Sparrows... With 6 GBU 12's (Mk82's slicks with paveway laser seekers and control system) on TERs on the inboard pylons (I have pics of this setup on F-4E's in the 80's) with or without the center tank but always with the outboard pylon tanks...

Sound like a plan my friend?

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

25 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Thanks Ken...

Ok, Drop the centerline tank for an MER loaded with Mk 82 slicks, 4 CBU's (SUU-30's) on TER's mounted to the inboard pylons... Wing mounted drop tanks on the outer pylons... No need for the ALQ-71 or 87 in this configuration... What about the 4 sparrow mount slots? leave them? or fill them?

Ok the Missouri ANG aircraft in Hill Grey II with 4 sparrows and 4 sidewinders with full tankage...

And the New Jersey ANG 141st TFS  with an ALQ119 in the right forward sparrow slot, an AN/AVQ-23 Pave Spike in the left sparrow slot, two Aft Sparrows... With 6 GBU 12's (Mk82's slicks with paveway laser seekers and control system) on TERs on the inboard pylons (I have pics of this setup on F-4E's in the 80's) with or without the center tank but always with the outboard pylon tanks...

Sound like a plan my friend?

It certainly  does,     some things  to keep  you  out of  trouble  brother     - can't wait  for these  who doesn't love  a  "toom"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I like the plan, too. 👍 We had a bit of a friendly rivalry with the St Louis guys; must have been something about oldest ANG flying unit. Nice to commemorate them, too.

On your first bird, you could go with 2 Sparrows in the aft wells. For the Spike bird, you could use the centerline tank and omit the wing tanks. The 80s 600 gallon tank was stressed for the airframe limits, wing tanks were lower G and affected roll rates. The 600 gal. tank we carried in SEA was a low G tank, only meant for deployments.

Make sure anything you load on the inboards does not hang behind the aft end of the pylon. That would interfere with the gear doors.😉

Ken

20 hours ago, Canute said:

Building F-4 models is like eating pistachios, you can't do just one. I have 3 rolling around the house. My first and last F-4Es in wood from a builder in the Philippines and the Hasegawa bird from that NJIPMS chapter.

Totally agreed, I had two in my stash.  I still get the bug to do a Grey/white USN/Marines one! 😁  Years ago I did the Tamiya 1/32 E and a 1/72 Royal Navy version.

F4E 1-32.JPG

RN F4 1-72.jpeg

15 hours ago, Canute said:

I like the plan, too. 👍 We had a bit of a friendly rivalry with the St Louis guys; must have been something about oldest ANG flying unit. Nice to commemorate them, too.

On your first bird, you could go with 2 Sparrows in the aft wells. For the Spike bird, you could use the centerline tank and omit the wing tanks. The 80s 600 gallon tank was stressed for the airframe limits, wing tanks were lower G and affected roll rates. The 600 gal. tank we carried in SEA was a low G tank, only meant for deployments.

Make sure anything you load on the inboards does not hang behind the aft end of the pylon. That would interfere with the gear doors.😉

Thank you Ken, I always prefer direct knowledge over speculation, I've seen too many models of F-4's loaded to the gills with ordnance so heavy they would never have got into the air much less made a turn without the wings breaking off...

5 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Totally agreed, I had two in my stash.  I still get the bug to do a Grey/white USN/Marines one! 😁  Years ago I did the Tamiya 1/32 E and a 1/72 Royal Navy version.

F4E 1-32.JPG

RN F4 1-72.jpeg

AJ when I was a younker, I built a ceiling diorama of four 1/72nd scale F-4E's in formation, they were vertical right on the four way break at the top of the climb.... (and yes the stabilizer on #4 was smoked black) can you guess what scheme they were in? My friends all asked how the heck I did it, it was spectacular...

You can never build more than one...

A note on the two kits, the recent Academy and the 90's issue Revell-Monogram 30th anniversary "Mig Killer" they are the same kit, identical in all respects... just re-boxed into an Academy presentation... Thanks guys for all the info.... I'll probably do the three of them all at once cause the basic airframe is the same on each, the differences will be in the painting and weapons loadouts... A lot of aftermarket to acquire... But first I need to get the Sabre done and then a quick little project involving tracks and big bullets.. (something simple)

Thanks for following and sorry for the diversion into Phantomness...

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Nothing wrong  with us all going  a bit  Phantoom  mad  - its  was probably  the best  plane of its  time  and  sadly missed,   and I think we are all blessed  having our  very own  mister  toom  driver  Ken  - so much respect  (same to  all the other  vets)

My show  of respect  taken  by  me  - 

OC.

100_2-Edit.jpg

101_2-Edit.jpg

102_2-Edit.jpg

103_2-Edit.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nicely done Tiger mouth or should I say Panther mouth on that Greek Phantom.

Ken

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Nothing wrong  with us all going  a bit  Phantoom  mad  - its  was probably  the best  plane of its  time 

I even ordered a paper/card model of the F-4E with all the extras. Yeah, I know it's well beyond my skill level for card, but hey, I need it as incentive to press forward. Being the influence that he is, Chris C pointed the direction to a Polish website where eye-popping card models are showcased from modelers all over Europe. Could not resist a Phantom after that visit. 

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Nicely done Tiger mouth or should I say Panther mouth on that Greek Phantom.

There was Two of them  Ken  both  Turkish AF   F4E  (2020).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 hours ago, CDW said:

I even ordered a paper/card model of the F-4E with all the extras. Yeah, I know it's well beyond my skill level for card, but hey, I need it as incentive to press forward. Being the influence that he is, Chris C pointed the direction to a Polish website where eye-popping card models are showcased from modelers all over Europe. Could not resist a Phantom after that visit. 

Here we go, another captured imagination.... Thankfully we have a great card modeler to show us the way...

It's just something about the Phantom II that makes your heart speed up and eyes glint... It's a bad a**ed warplane...

Quote:

20 hours ago, Egilman said:

AJ when I was a younker, I built a ceiling diorama of four 1/72nd scale F-4E's in formation, they were vertical right on the four way break at the top of the climb.... (and yes the stabilizer on #4 was smoked black) can you guess what scheme they were in? My friends all asked how the heck I did it, it was spectacular...

Obviously "air show" mode with the black tail on the "slot" bird.  Good times back in the day at air shows.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, Yep the Thunderbirds at the top break in the High Bomb Burst....

0:09 sec in right after they rotate and separate.... (these are F-16's of course, there is no video of the F-4E's performing this maneuver) I had them suspended each on their own invisible 5lb monofilament line from the nose and connected to each other in a ring from the wingtips which drew them close so they slanted a bit away from each other... I had it for three years till my little brother decided to bounce the basketball off the walls of the bedroom... {CRASH}

You don't know how much I wanted to court martial the brat but mother wouldn't let me...

We laugh about it now, he has several of my creations in his mancave...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

On 10/2/2022 at 9:41 AM, Egilman said:

I can't find any of her in the 141st FS markings tail code NJ, but I did find several others in those markings while with the NJANG...

Hey Ken, 

I found a few photos of 68-0388.... 

2 from 1975... (SEA Scheme 36th TFW, 53th TFS, Bitburg AB, Tiger Meet 1975 held at Leck, Germany September 7th) Sure looks to me like she had slatted wings...

1760616864_68-0388BT(cn3475)36thTFW53thTFSBitburgABTigerMeet1975heldatLeckGermanySeptember71975-2.jpg.319167b9768fe1e47030e0857392c9e9.jpg248782002_68-0388BT(cn3475)36thTFW53thTFSBitburgABTigerMeet1975heldatLeckGermanySeptember71975.jpg.d6b045a1130b048430a9a08e3a7df2a3.jpg

2 from April 1981... 313th TFS/50th TFW - this former 32nd TFS Phantom revisited Soesterberg for a.o. target towing duty.

529776543_68-0388HR(cn3475)SoesterbergNetherlandsApril1981.jpg.12ed61faa7b8cb91317cf3a6e05261ba.jpg437479491_68-0388HR(cn3475)LeeuwardenNetherlandsApril161981.jpg.c49c09693e7b8b1a2d1d7f49e05b2c60.jpg

And 3 from 2007... We know she went to AMARG in August-November of 1990...

1278920752_68-0388NJ(cn3475)Davis-MonthanAFBJanuary222007-3.jpg.75c5e2b43c1f15128c811205f0cb752e.jpg479844310_68-0388NJ(cn3475)Davis-MonthanAFBJanuary222007-2.jpg.d690672cb144c8d67c26328b2a617300.jpg1933265588_68-0388NJ(cn3475)Davis-MonthanAFBJanuary222007.jpg.76ebc7171ad4c9e3558e8ade7ce0bf27.jpg

She was wearing Euro I and that beautiful Tiger head when she was retired...

Here is the decal sheet from the Revell/Monogram #85-4668 F-4E "Mig Killer" 

IMG_0356.thumb.JPG.c817e7043b65c823eafb0d2fa0c1a89d.JPG

Just swap out a few numbers.... 17 years in the Arizona desert didn't do much for the paint did it...

Quote:

The BT jet is a hard wing. Had boundary layer flaps in leading and trailing edges. The flaps were 60 degrees and we had hot air blowing over the wings to convince the wing it was moving faster. The slats have us 1 good turn in combat and then we'd need to leave the fight, biuld speed and separations, then come back to the fight. Slat wings had knuckles under the leading edge slats. Not to obvious on the Hahn bird (HR was Hunsruck, where the base was, east of Bitburg and Spangdahlem.)

Wonder how they ended up with gray radome on a Euro scheme?

Ken

29 minutes ago, Canute said:

Wonder how they ended up with gray radome on a Euro scheme?

Well I don't know, when I do her it will be with a fully black radome.... But do notice one thing, she is in the wash shed... Lots of deteriorated paint but no dust and dirt, the radome might be a replacement to cover up the innards from the high pressure stream.... They were pretty well stripped after they were sent to AMARG... Saw that with my own eyes when I was living in Tucson and got to do the tour, (several times) before everything went all ITAR...

Trying to track what happened to her after 2007, but have had no luck so far.... but one thing we do know, she is preserved....

Quote:

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Slat wings had knuckles under the leading edge slats. Not to obvious on the Hahn bird (HR was Hunsruck, where the base was, east of Bitburg and Spangdahlem.)

Ok, I think I know what your talking about.... 

68-0381 HR (cn 3463) just a dozen airframes before your bird in the same manufacturing group... (68-0388  HR (cn 3475))

Larissa, Greece July 15th, 2009

319936642_68-0381HR(cn3463)LarissaGreeceJune6th2011.jpg.2e2e78e9d6566419f8eaf837292f06e4.jpg598505792_68-0381HR(cn3463)LarissaGreeceJuly15th2009-2.jpg.186d0bfc9144fea4e9af36265c4fadff.jpg

And Larissa, Greece June 6th, 2011

572296804_68-0381HR(cn3463)LarissaGreeceJuly15th2009.jpg.9ab4b3a7a4c20b9ccb2c3da794a975e4.jpg

The Greek boneyard, {chuckle} but it doesn't have any wing tanks which for some reason are always present on USAF birds and obscure the slat mechanisms...

So yours was a slatted wing bird?, Correction a leading edge flap/ boundary layer bird.... so the question becomes, when sitting on the runway were they up or down? I know the flaperons usually hung a few degrees down when the hydro bled off, but I hardly ever see the forward edge down on the ground...  And in the last pic, notice the bottom of the radome, it's rotting out after only two years...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The radome is some kind of layered ceramic or fiberglass, most probably fiberglass with a coating. Sparrows had ceramic nosecones, which were a dirty gray white. Some base commander in SEA, trying for a base beautiful award or some such, had them painted bright white. The paint had lead in it so all those missiles were inop until replaced. This was back in the day when we had a wing commander for the flyers and the support (admin, supply, etc) folks had a base commander, usually not a current aviator. What a maroon.

After the mid 70s, all E models in USAF service were slatted. Leading edge is hydraulically activated, but deploys with input from the angle of attack sensor on the right side of the nose. It's a little cone shaped sensor sitting just above the a/c inlet scoop. No drooping on the ground. The flaps, speed brakes and aux air doors all droop, since they are hydraulic. The speed brakes were activated by a thumb switch on the right throttle in both cockpits. Pilot controlled the flaps; I had an emergency activation handle, which induced a utility hydraulic failure if you didn't already have one.

The block number for the jet was 38

The only E models I've seen without slats, in recent memory, were the Thunderbird jets. They used the gun bay as their travel pod and were retired when the 'Birds replaced them in the mid 70s, so no reason to slat them. The folks in Hamilton, NJ, have one in a park. Veteran maintained. 👍

Ken

8 hours ago, Canute said:

The radome is some kind of layered ceramic or fiberglass, most probably fiberglass with a coating.

Yep, reinforced fibreglass, but the fasteners were steel and would eventually rot away in hot salty environments, that's what your seeing on the Greek bird, and I saw it at AMARG as well... From the look of it on your washed bird it looks new, the black tip is shiny as well as the fiberglass, which is reflecting concrete markings from the ground near the join line with the fuselage... Also the join line is clean with no damage, so I'm speculating that it's new...

Thank you for the info on the slatted wing, since the kits all show them as closed, and when on the ground they were closed, there is no need to replace them with slatted aftermarket wings, that takes a bit of expense off the plate...

Much thanks....

It's going to be a while before I get to these 3 Phantoms, but, I promised a purty Phantom from the USAF when I did my F-4J,  And yours as retired is about as purty as it gets!!!!   I have good shots of yours, Good shots of the Missouri ANG Bird in Hill Grey II, and will finish it off with good shots of hopefully the bird from Korat as the kit decals depict....

Beautiful airplane....

I'll try to do them justice my friend....

Quote:

24 minutes ago, CDW said:

Should be a great kit if their previous F-4’s are any indicator.

Yep, should be a great Kit....

Quote:

Hah, my Bitburg jet became a G weasel. When I was a Ninth Air Force Flight Examiner, I tried to wrangle a ride. Best I could do was an F-105G Weasel, when they had them in Atlanta. Back seat in that was almost claustrophobic, since there was no way to see forward. Felt like I was flying in a hole. Had a bunch of time flying on the wing of a Thud Weasel.

Ken

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

EG what scale are your F4 kits ? 1:48 or 1:32 ?

1/32nd scale....

Quote:

OK Brothers, time for an update....

Been plugging along.... She has legs!!!!

IMG_0359.thumb.JPG.f39d07703e522a724bfe8342dc5a216d.JPG

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.39334cdf199eeed4e6f18a5f7e741ab1.JPG

IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.9604d5c9bb8de005e08b54e862965a9c.JPG

And she knows how to use them... {chuckle}

Need to do some decaling to the speed brakes and tanks and figure out how to add the cables to the ammo door and wing fillet....

But making progress...

Onwards..

Quote:

Nicely done, including the ZZ Top reference.👍

Ken