Hannah by gjdale (Grant) - FINISHED - Amati - 1:300 - BOTTLE

Thanks Glen,

I’m a little anxious about that too. Guess we’ll find out soon!

By the way, it’s not “my” method - it’s David Antscherl’s (and he goes into a lot more detail for adding details to sails at a larger scale). Gotta give credit where it is due. 😊

A minor progress update. The fore/aft sails are connected to their respective gaffs and the gaffs as well as the yards are connected to the masts prior to installation on the ship. Rather than using the kit-provided line, I have used some quilting thread in lieu. The line is attached to the sails using diluted acrylic matt medium. 

In the picture below, the masts are held in an ordinary plastic clothes peg for stability, and I have inserted a toothpick into the photos as a scale reference.

1750437027_29Sails8.jpeg.a3cc7f21e3fd280d36dfc04ca339e588.jpeg

And here is a picture of one of the jib sails, complete with boltrope (which will also become part of the rigging process, and ultimately the means by which one of the masts is raised.

973762671_30Sails9.jpeg.611e16386892e98d294479aa277e611f.jpeg

Not far from "bottle smash time" now.....

Another minor update. I completed the rigging today. I chose not to install the large square sail on the foremast as I think it makes it look a little too crowded. The box art also shows the model without this sail installed – good enough for me!

I opted not to use any of the kit supplied rigging thread, choosing instead some from my own collection. I used a dark brown for the standing rigging and a light tan for the running rigging. The kit instructions suggest melting the ends of the lines instead of tying knots. I wasn’t convinced that this would hold, so used knots reinforced with a dab of CA glue. 

The pegs on the bowsprit are holding the outhaul lines in place. Once ready for the “smash and stuff” with the bottle, these will be released and the mast and rigging folded down. Had to get a photo at this point in case it all goes horribly wrong from here!

1355263097_31RiggingComplete.jpeg.0603113b79c02abd38f1d37ccd497af0.jpeg

I’m now working on the display base. I’ve found a nice piece of walnut in my furniture timber stash and have made some boxwood dowels as well. The plan is to produce something similar, but not identical, to the display that Glen McGuire used in his excellent rendition of this model.

Another minor update. I glued the stand inside the bottle today. I wasn’t convinced I’d be able to get the ship’s keel to sit properly on the two fore/aft pegs, so I filed them flat. This will give the added bonus of reducing the height of the ship inside the bottle slightly.

1266467770_Bottleandbase.jpeg.ce4222ed7946b55f340538e88e584cb5.jpeg

I then went to test “fold” everything up to do a test fit in the neck of the bottle, and this is where I ran into my first major problem. It seems that the inner jib needed to be able move along it’s halyard that is also one of the outhauls. If not, it jams the masts and prevents them from lowering properly. That meant that I had to detach the line from where I had glued it to the sail with acrylic matt medium. A nerve wracking task, but I was able to achieve it in the end.

I also found a similar problem with the gaff rigged sails. Unless the outer/rear edge of the sail was able to move along that line, it would prevent the gaff from folding up. So I had to repeat the process twice more before I was able to finally get the ship folded up.

Then I was able to test fit it into the neck of the bottle. It goes, but there is no doubt that it’s a tight fit.

782797829_TestStuff.jpeg.72b88d249ad56174e923179e5c36cd65.jpeg

Tomorrow I will make the final insertion into the bottle and hope that I am able to get the sails properly adjusted once the masts are raised.

Excellent work recovering from that snag with the sails moving along the lines. 

The moment of truth is at hand!  I can't wait for the next update!!!

Well, she’s in! I didn’t use the kit provided tool to insert the ship into the bottle. Instead I used a very long haemostat that I’ve had in my toolbox for years – I think this may be the first time I’ve used it. Getting the ship into the bottle and placed on the stand within the bottle went relatively smoothly with only a few choice words of encouragement along the way. I was a little concerned that it is only held in place by two very small dobs of 5 min epoxy, but it seems to be holding up okay so far.

1557934422_Bottling1.jpeg.47231748e6f0699f95bdbb17c96680d4.jpeg

I let the glue cure for about 90 mins before attempting to raise the masts. This went mainly smoothly, although I had some difficulty re-positioning the sails, gaffs and the yards. In the end I had to say “good enough” as any further messing around was only going to lead to irreparable damage.

430159775_Bottling2.jpeg.cbb0097090d87074da41efb011d6e5e8.jpeg

I now need to complete the display base and mount the bottle on it. I’ll be back in a couple of days with some final completion photos.

WOOHOO!!!  She looks fantastic, Grant!!!  The silkspan sails unfurled very nicely.  Well done.  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Now I can't wait to see what you do for the display base!

Take a deep breath and an adult beverage, Grant.   I suspect there was more tension in the air than you let on.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This build is so good, great job. I bought this model for my Granddaughter , this is the log she will follow for sure . :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Thanks for the kind comments and the likes folks.

I made a simple display base from some scrap walnut I had laying around in the “big” workshop. I had considered doing something more elaborate but, in the end, decided that less is more. I have ordered a small brass name plaque that will be placed on the front bevelled edge, but otherwise I’m calling this done.

Final photos (pending receipt of name plaque).

1479486992_36Finished1.jpeg.db7130d6d0e4ae5e18fc339dcb0856e1.jpeg

1139536115_37Finished2.jpeg.166002348029eec29aa92f8ba16fd128.jpeg 

I just found your log for this interesting build, Grant, and it's a tiny beauty! I love your eclectic modeling interests and always look forward to what you may select to build next. 

One question: What holds the masts and sails in place once you pull them up with a string and how do you get the string off once you've got the masts in the proper position?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you very much Glen, Bob, and Dave for the kind comments, and also for all of the likes.

Glen - the “scrap” is in relation to it’s use as a furniture piece. It certainly came up nicely with a bit of oil. 😊

Bob - to answer your questions, the two lines that pull the mast up form part of the finished rigging (they become the forestays). They pass through some small holes in the bowsprit. If you zoom in on the photo you will be able to see these holes.

Once in position, the lines are held in tension (with a small weight) while a drop of glue is applied (very carefully, with a long bamboo skewer) to the bowsprit holes to fix the lines. Once the glue is dry, the excess line is trimmed with a sharp blade attached to a long “handle” (a long piece of square stock). Another small tool attached to a long “handle” is then used to straighten out the sails/yards as required.

5 hours ago, BobG said:

I love your eclectic modeling interests and always look forward to what you may select to build next

….just wait ‘til you see what’s next…..😎😉

The ship-in-a-bottle construction method is fascinating. Thanks for explaining it, Grant.

1 hour ago, gjdale said:

….just wait ‘til you see what’s next…..😎😉

Looking forward to it. 👍 

BTW, have you been putting some miles on that new, beautiful Trek bike?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, BobG said:

BTW, have you been putting some miles on that new, beautiful Trek bike?

Yes Bob - matter of fact, I was out riding this morning. Have recently clocked up just over 1,000km and the bike has just had it’s 50hr service. I try to ride at least twice per week with a buddy of mine. We vary between leisurely “cafe rides” and more challenging longer distances.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received the name plaque for my SIB. A couple of final photos – the curvature of the glass bottle made it somewhat difficult to get a good shot.

1077406560_Final1.jpeg.452efcffe90bba48a975858354d7101a.jpeg

621312468_Final2.jpeg.c417f22e17eb937e0bd8046a270b208c.jpeg

Edited by gjdale

Well done it really looks good, I got one for my the Granddaughter, but I think 🤔  I do it my self lol . Very nice model,:10_1_10:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

13 minutes ago, Glen McGuire said:

Still waiting to hear what's next!!??

Maybe Grant is waiting on input from your son? :unsure:

4 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Maybe Grant is waiting on input from your son? :unsure:

Hopefully Grant has way more sense than me!!  And hopefully he won't keep us in suspense for too much longer!

8 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Still waiting to hear what's next!!??

You’ll have to wait a little longer Glen. I’m waiting on delivery of some necessary supplies, and also finishing up a furniture building project at the moment. Suffice to say, it will NOT be something suggested by your son.

Teaser……it will be something quite different……..

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2022 at 5:00 PM, gjdale said:

Thanks for the kind comments and the likes folks.

I made a simple display base from some scrap walnut I had laying around in the “big” workshop. I had considered doing something more elaborate but, in the end, decided that less is more. I have ordered a small brass name plaque that will be placed on the front bevelled edge, but otherwise I’m calling this done.

Final photos (pending receipt of name plaque).

1479486992_36Finished1.jpeg.db7130d6d0e4ae5e18fc339dcb0856e1.jpeg

1139536115_37Finished2.jpeg.166002348029eec29aa92f8ba16fd128.jpeg 

Hi Grant, yes everyone Loves a 'Ship in a Bottle' ...............

All 10s.jpg