Starlight by AJohnson - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 scale - CARD - Clyde Puffer

Decided I needed to think about mounting the Puffer before I got onto the delicate rigging phase. Used a small rectangular piece of MDF then made a sea “texture” using Gesso. Painted using a mix of brown, crimson and Phthalo blue, with some light highlights for the wake and a few wave tops. Nothing too over the top. Finished in Acrylic gloss medium and gloss varnish 

3807B4C1-3CC4-4E21-9C0E-A1865DB3DA14.jpeg

55D14165-D8C5-4A72-80F5-FF8606EF1EA3.jpeg

06FC3120-649C-4E01-A4A3-8C6764FDEA59.jpeg

5CBE3047-2D9F-499F-9FD7-732EBB8033EC.jpeg

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very nicely done Andrew,  you'll be on to a 3 mast Square rigger in no time😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

That's a great looking Puffer Andrew. I see you have the larger Northlight Puffer waiting to be built, I also have one patiently waiting it's turn but I can't start it until you begin yours, so I can see how to build it, same as with Nisha😉

Ah that is good news, I have had my old Caldercraft “Northlight” Puffer years and just chickened out of doing it!  If we were each other’s “Wingman” we might just build them!  🤣 A dual build if you like.
You have given me an idea - hold my beer….

30 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Ah that is good news, I have had my old Caldercraft “Northlight” Puffer years and just chickened out of doing it!  If we were each other’s “Wingman” we might just build them!  🤣 A dual build if you like.
You have given me an idea - hold my beer….

I looked at my Northlight the other week and though I'll leave it a while longer it might build itself. Not a good idea to ask me to hold your beer you'll get an empty glass back 🙂

Here you go, after much rummaging in the garage and disturbed dust and spider webs we have this Ol’ girl awaiting her turn on the slipway. 
I have had this years, - you can tell by the state of the “Dead Sea Scrolls” that pass for plans! 🤣

I this bought from an old chap who said he would not get around to building it (I’m in danger of following that path myself if not careful!)

Interesting to compare a 1/32 to 1/250 scale Puffer. 

54DFE10A-D992-49D4-97F1-26C4821F32BD.jpeg

Well thank you all for following along and the kind words and encouragement, these are the last few pictures of the finished model.

Final touches were the rigging, handrails, crew ladder and life rings made out of slices of plastic sprue that had a hole drilled in it.  Also added a little cotton wool glued along the waterline in places to 'hide' the base of the model.

Now, I really must get back to my Vanguard "Nisha" ! after this initial foray into card models 😄

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Well done Andrew, it looks great.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me