Let me please introduce myself

RH-J

Since I was in short pants, I have always enjoyed making things. When I retired some 14 years ago, I embarked upon an ambitious model railway. Health issues brought that project to a screeching halt at the beginning of this year so a radical rethink was required.

The first book I ever read, when I was 7 or 8, was Dana's 'Two Years before the Mast' and my love of boats and the sea was born. Given my enjoyment in sailing (when I was younger!) and my interest in Nelson's Navy, it seemed logical to build model sailing ships. Practicality dictated I bought a beginner's kit to learn how to build these fascinating yet complicated machines so I bought OcCre's Polaris kit with every intention of building it as per the instructions. However my pedantic nature intervened - there were simply too many discrepancies between the kit and how things were done in the real world of tall ships.

Unfortunately this has meant my simple beginner's model has morphed into something well outside my comfort zone and is now HM Schooner Cockle: a vessel loosely based upon the 'fish' class of dispatch boat built for the British Navy between 1805 and 1807. Line drawings of the hull exist but I can find nothing that shows the deck fixtures and fittings or any details of the standing and running rigging. All I do know is they were gaff rigged schooners. I have many, many questions but one of the most fundamental ones is, did only the running rigging go to belaying pins with the standing rigging going to the chain plates and Samson posts? Any advice would be most welcome.

RH, welcome to MSW. As far as I know standing lines never terminated at belaying pins. Glad to have you aboard. 

2 hours ago, RH-J said:

there were simply too many discrepancies between the kit and how things were done in the real world of tall ships.

First, WELCOME ABOARD.  No matter kit or scratch build based on other than as-built contemporary plans, research is your friend.   Building a small library as you move along, such as a good rigging book like Lees' Masting and Rigging as well as others is a good investment.  There is no need to go crazy, but acquire books as you find a need.   In the meantime, never hesitate to ask questions here in the appropriate forums and/or start a build log.  .

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Welcome to MSW, RH-J.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi RH and welcome to Model Ship World.  It sounds like you have a love for the old sailing ships and their history.  The research can be an important part of building a good scale model.  We are glad to have you as a member if this forum.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi RH. Welcome aboard!

Edited by flutlo6180
typo

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

Many thanks, one and all. As you all point out, research is the key. That task is made more difficult because, unlike modelling a 1920's railway, the camera had yet to be invented 😪! But I am sure patience will be rewarded and I have already learned a lot from you guys.

:piratebo5:RH, welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi RH and welcome to the site. Rigging a model ship/boat can be the most challenging aspect for a newly minted model builder. A book I can highly recommend for your gaff rigged schooner is Lennarth Petersson's "Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft". This book gives an easy to learn, step by step guide in the art of rigging. It's available on Abe Books for less than US$20! Check out their website.

Happy modelling!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

5 hours ago, petervisser said:

Hi RH and welcome to the site. Rigging a model ship/boat can be the most challenging aspect for a newly minted model builder. A book I can highly recommend for your gaff rigged schooner is Lennarth Petersson's "Rigging Period Fore and Aft Craft". This book gives an easy to learn, step by step guide in the art of rigging. It's available on Abe Books for less than US$20! Check out their website.

Happy modelling!

Peter

Many thanks for the heads up, Peter. I will, most certainly, look for the book. I do have to confess, the rigging was the one part of building model ships that scared the pants off me and still does! The rest is just a question of transferring modelling skills from one interest to another plus loads of research!

@ Brian.

I will, most certainly, post photos of my build as soon as I can but not here; probably better on my build log. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome to Model Ship World RH.  In response to your question:

I have many, many questions but one of the most fundamental ones is, did only the running rigging go to belaying pins with the standing rigging going to the chain plates and Samson posts? Any advice would be most welcome.

In my limited experience, I've only seen running rigging go to the belaying pins.  On this and many other questions; research is your friend.  Welcome aboard!

Wawona59

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  Drakkar "Oseberg" - Pavel Nikitin

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Because running rigging "runs," and moves, the "bitter end" always has to be tied off to something. It's belayed to belaying pins, generally, during the period after which belaying pins came into use, but also sometimes to cleats and cavels and occasionally posts. Standing rigging is generally fastened permanently, shrouds at their lower ends to chain plates or sometimes pad eyes on deck and to bowsprit irons. There really aren't hard and fast rules, though. There are many different rigging arrangements which can vary from ship to ship, and even vary on the same ship from time to time in the ship's life.

Standing rigging did not go to Samson posts, actually. Samson posts are for towing the ship or making an anchor cable fast when the anchor is set, or to belay mooring lines when alongside a wharf or quay. Here again, things can vary from ship to ship and time to time. You really can't say for sure what general rigging practices were without specifying the type of vessel, it's nationality, and the time in history that's applicable.