Curtiss BF 2C-1 by CDW - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1:32 scale

I wanted to do an aircraft from pre world war 2, the Golden Age, so I dug this old 1:32 Hasegawa Curtiss BF 2C-1 out of the stash to serve that purpose. It should be colorful is nothing else. I’ll be needing to cut my own stencils and paint on the markings as the kit decal sheet is pretty much shot. It will serve as the template for my masks later on. The kit is long in the tooth and has been around at least 40 years or so. Don’t expect any modern marvel molds here, I’ll just have to work with what I’ve got and maybe add some scratch details here and there to make things lively.

IMG_5402.jpeg

I'm down for this classic Curtis Goshawk in USS Ranger markings.... (they were aboard the Ranger from from October 1936 to November 1937, the shortest span for any serving US Navy aircraft) The reason for this was Curtis took the original 10 yr old Hawk design and replaced the wooden wings with Aluminum ones... The aluminum wings had a vibration frequency that in flight harmonized with the engines vibration frequency, this meant the airplane was trying to shake itself to pieces all the time it was in the air... No matter what the Navy and Curtis did to fix it failed so it was unceremoniously dumped by the navy... Besides they were looking at much better more advanced fighter/bombers soon coming off the production lines in late '37 so keeping a decade old biplane fighter design around just wasn't in the cards...

It IS a gorgeous yellow wing though.......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

23 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Great idea. I have this kit in my stash and I will be delighted to see you build it. 

There are some excellent decals produced for this kind of aircrafts. The name escapes me...something like yellow wings...

yw32008a.jpg.c3c2c816f3025cc7723f9584ac84dd77.jpg

Yves

I've been looking everywhere for this set of decals but cannot find any in stock. According to my regular suppliers, the particular set is out of production.

7 minutes ago, CDW said:

I've been looking everywhere for this set of decals but cannot find any in stock. According to my regular suppliers, the particular set is out of production.

Yes, I am afraid the Yellow-Wings company went belly up during the Plandemic. You may be able to find other 1/32nd decals of different planes and adapt them to your Curtiss.

Yves

Craig,

You probably have already read that thread, but this Canadian guy has made all four (if not five) of these old Hasegawa 1/32 kits. That may give you some ideas on which paints to use and other details. He uses the Yellow Wings decals (RIP) and the Vector engines.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/61231-yellow-wings-forgotten-models/

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Craig,

You probably have already read that thread, but this Canadian guy has made all four (if not five) of these old Hasegawa 1/32 kits. That may give you some ideas on which paints to use and other details. He uses the Yellow Wings decals (RIP) and the Vector engines.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/61231-yellow-wings-forgotten-models/

Yves

Yves

No, I had not seen the referenced material, but I will be sure to read it now. Thanks!

By the way, I do have the Yellow Wings decals and a copy of the 1:32 Hasegawa P-26 to do later on. The decals were found on the Spruebrothers website.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Do you know of a card model of this aircraft in 1:33 scale? 

I do, actually. Answer published one in 2006.

Amerykański myśliwiec Curtiss BF2C-1 Hawk Answer -MA9-2006

And here is a finished example, although the usual caveat about Polish builders and their uncanny abilities applies here.

image.png.b68a93fed6726a3a8af52d1363bac73a.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

29 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I do, actually. Answer published one in 2006.

Amerykański myśliwiec Curtiss BF2C-1 Hawk Answer -MA9-2006

And here is a finished example, although the usual caveat about Polish builders and their uncanny abilities applies here.

image.png.b68a93fed6726a3a8af52d1363bac73a.png

Would love to see how they rendered the interior/cockpit. There’s a site that’s sells digital copies of old card models but I can’t recall the web address at the moment. Maybe he has it? I will check when I am at home on my computer.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of yellow wings - looking forward to this one!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Would love to see how they rendered the interior/cockpit.

I don't know about the card model, but the real deal was all aluminum...

ch.download(2).jpg.e4b21b6933fddd1254b5928bd557dca3.jpgch_20.jpg.98a6c92d421a4037c3f04ae2955ea332.jpgch_13.jpg.593d5f74f9c05eec30e416e8e5f68d62.jpgch_12.jpg.9ca6fcc7e121e14a630ddcc0588e8f0a.jpgch_11.jpg.37bc527447fbf285a55fb28773d897a5.jpgch_10.jpg.a9074d80ef719c136403e05e8d06223b.jpgch_port_fuse.lookfwd.jpg.3a4e281550943e1cb21a7fbc5f734cac.jpgch.seat_and_stick.jpg.bea7a728ad0a6892e913e643b38c6b42.jpgch.starboard_cockpit.jpg.def2139dee97dd0326f30ff369ebce39.jpg

With of course a black panel... the Army version was the F11C-2, and the export version was the Hawk III....

Hope it helps...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

27 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I don't know about the card model, but the real deal was all aluminum...

ch.download(2).jpg.e4b21b6933fddd1254b5928bd557dca3.jpgch_20.jpg.98a6c92d421a4037c3f04ae2955ea332.jpgch_13.jpg.593d5f74f9c05eec30e416e8e5f68d62.jpgch_12.jpg.9ca6fcc7e121e14a630ddcc0588e8f0a.jpgch_11.jpg.37bc527447fbf285a55fb28773d897a5.jpgch_10.jpg.a9074d80ef719c136403e05e8d06223b.jpgch_port_fuse.lookfwd.jpg.3a4e281550943e1cb21a7fbc5f734cac.jpgch.seat_and_stick.jpg.bea7a728ad0a6892e913e643b38c6b42.jpgch.starboard_cockpit.jpg.def2139dee97dd0326f30ff369ebce39.jpg

With of course a black panel... the Army version was the F11C-2, and the export version was the Hawk III....

Hope it helps...

Hey, thanks for all those photos, EG! That's a big help. I was a bit concerned the kit provided no cockpit details on the sides (insides) of the fuselage. Those don't look too hard to replicate at least in a rudimentary fashion. I don't care if they are not precise in scale, just don't want a bare 1:32 scale cockpit. I may even look for a period correct pilot and mount the plane flying with wheels retracted.

22 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

I’m probably the very last person to suggest anything using computers,BUT could you make a color copy, or scan of the old decal sheet and then print it on new decal paper?

Roger

It certainly can be done and have seen others do it very well on YouTube. Many times those individuals have graphics editing software and who knows what kinds of printers to achieve a quality result. I have done some very rudimentary decal printing such as stripes or rectangles, etc., with limited success. The decal paper needs to be prepared for printing then after printing, given ample time to dry, then finally and clear coat to seal the printer ink. I may very well try to print some specific small decal items but for the most part will paint on the national markings and formation stripes.

On 5/16/2023 at 1:35 PM, CDW said:

According to yellow wings, they have the decals in stock:

https://store.yellow-wingsdecals.com/1-32-decals/32-008-curtiss-bf2c-1-fighter-bomber-vf-5b-uss-ranger-12-95.html

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

8 minutes ago, CDW said:

Wow! I sure hope this is true. I just ordered a set. Thanks Andy!

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help! 😁

They seem to have a good selection of different offerings from the same era. Failing the exact set, you could probably cobble together everything you need from one or two of the other sets.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

43 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

You’re welcome! I’m glad I could help! 😁

They seem to have a good selection of different offerings from the same era. Failing the exact set, you could probably cobble together everything you need from one or two of the other sets.

Andy

I own a set of their decals for the 1:32 P-26 and they are beautifully done.

20 minutes ago, CDW said:

A small group of men,

who have in common,

no ambition beyond

the time to discuss

matters of interest,

but of little importance.

John Steinbeck

Cannery Row, well quoted brother...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

All I could say is amen to Steinbeck's quote. Looking forward to the outcome of this build. It should be a beauty.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild