Curtiss BF 2C-1 by CDW - FINISHED - Hasegawa - 1:32 scale

49 minutes ago, CDW said:

I'm sure kits like these from Japan made Revell and Monogram stand up and take notice back then.

And that's why it had a 3.39 dollar price tag on it as well... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 5/16/2023 at 6:35 PM, CDW said:

I've been looking everywhere for this set of decals but cannot find any in stock. According to my regular suppliers, the particular set is out of production.

Hannants in the UK has them available:

Yellow Wings Aircraft decals - YW32008 | Hannants

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

On 5/19/2023 at 4:51 AM, DocRob said:

Hannants in the UK has them available:

Yellow Wings Aircraft decals - YW32008 | Hannants

Cheers Rob

Edit - Update Already!:

Just got this email from Yellow Wings - Good News!

"Hello Craig,

YES, we're still in business and have been continuously since 2003 without
interruption. Tell whoever is spreading those rumors that we're out of business.
to check out our website.
Your order was shipped out on 5/19/2023, you should have received it by now
if not shortly.

Thank you and best wishes,

Wayne Tevlin 

Yellow-Wings Decals
10781 State Route 706
Montrose, PA 18801
U.S.A.
570-278-9776
yellow-wingsdecals.com
yellow-wingsdecals@att.net"

Edited by CDW

Look how weird this is. Hasegawa added some detail on one inside of a fuselage half and absolutely none on the other. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to spend too much time trying to improve this old kit. I will probably be happier just taking care assembling it, giving it a decent paint job with a fresh set of decals and calling it a day. I have so many other projects I want to focus attention on.

IMG_5416.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg

IMG_5418.jpeg

IMG_5419.jpeg

Don't know if it's the age of the kit or just the way plastic was made back then but the kit plastic seems very hard and brittle. I snapped one of the push rods so easily while cleaning them of flash. Got to be real gentle with this old girl or she is going to wind up in lots of fractured pieces but will glue them back together as needed.

I ordered from yellow wings last month.  No automated response or update to my order.  I emailed to inquire.  I got a nice, quick response that the decals had been shipped. The decals arrived the same day, 8-9 days after the original order.

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Is Yellow Wings still in business?  I thought I had read they were shutting down, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

4 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Is Yellow Wings still in business?  I thought I had read they were shutting down, but maybe I’m mistaken.

Don’t know for sure but will find out soon. I have an order in with them. Their website remains open and seemingly functional.

edit: look at the post above yours. As of last month they were operational.

Edited by CDW

Someone on LSM mentioned back in January that they had closed shop.  Maybe they had bad information.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

they shipped me decals 2 weeks ago and responded to my email.  they seemed very open

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

On 5/22/2023 at 8:22 PM, davec said:

they shipped me decals 2 weeks ago and responded to my email.  they seemed very open

Update:

Edit - Update Already!:

Just got this email from Yellow Wings - Good News!

"Hello Craig,

YES, we're still in business and have been continuously since 2003 without
interruption. Tell whoever is spreading those rumors that we're out of business.
to check out our website.
Your order was shipped out on 5/19/2023, you should have received it by now
if not shortly.

Thank you and best wishes,

Wayne Tevlin 

Yellow-Wings Decals
10781 State Route 706
Montrose, PA 18801
U.S.A.
570-278-9776
yellow-wingsdecals.com
yellow-wingsdecals@att.net"

Edited by CDW

Meanwhile, I’ve had my kit stock decals taped to my kitchen window where it faces east and the morning sun. This has helped remove most but not all of the yellowing of the clear decal film. Along with a coat of Microscale liquid decal film there is a chance the old decals could be saved although my own personal experience has been rather low chances. Once that liquid film is applied and it dries, all the decals must be cut carefully around each and every one as they are all connected with the film.

IMG_5433.jpeg

29 minutes ago, CDW said:

Ask and you shall receive. Got some Yellow Wings decals in the mail this afternoon.

IMG_5434.jpeg

Glad things (Wings?) worked out for you! Those decals look great. I’ve heard of others restoring old yellowed decals using a UV light (followed by a coating of liquid film as you mentioned earlier). Hopefully the rest of the kit doesn’t cause you any further issues!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice!  I have some of their decals - they are very nice.  Glad they are still around!

Mike

hey there!  good to see others enjoying old kits ;)   I built the Monogram kit when I was a teenager.   there are some kits that have been reproduced by other manufacturers.......the 1:72 stukas I posted a while back is a good example.  molds travel.  I've made my own decals from time to time............it would be hard to do your though due to the white areas.  you could use white decal paper,  but cutting them out is a drag!  I bookmarked that site that was mentioned.......can't have too many avenues :D   look foreward in seeing more!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I drilled out all the holes for my rigging lines in the fuselage halves, wing halves, vertical and horizontal stabs. Glued in the rigging lines where appropriate in the fuselage and wing halves, then glued in the simple cockpit/instrument panel assemblies before gluing the fuselage halves together. That's where I stand right now, waiting for the fuselage halves to dry overnight. I chose the option of keeping the cockpit simple and not going overboard with trying to make the old proverbial silk purse from a sow's ear. I had some spare HGW fabric and photo etch lap belts along with a scratch built seat. The stock kit seat just looked so out of scale and clunky, I threw together a seat from sheet styrene. For the instrument panel, I just painted in the dials with a white gel pen after painting it black. All the rest of the cockpit is colored aluminum. In the photos, the radial engine is dry fitted in place as it needs to be removed before finishing and painting the fuselage. For the rigging, I chose to use 2lb test monofilament fishing line.  

DSCN3328.JPG

DSCN3329.JPG

DSCN3330.JPG

DSCN3331.JPG

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

4 minutes ago, Javlin said:

Craig you will like it when done colorful scheme and when rigged looks the part I still appreciate mine in the cabinet.;)

It would be nice to see some modern kits produced of the in-between-the-wars US fighters and bombers in 1:32 scale. Probably wouldn't be a large market for those I'd guess. The old Hasegawa ones are not all that bad. Wonder if they still have the molds?

2 hours ago, CDW said:

It would be nice to see some modern kits produced of the in-between-the-wars US fighters and bombers in 1:32 scale. Probably wouldn't be a large market for those I'd guess. The old Hasegawa ones are not all that bad. Wonder if they still have the molds?

I agree completely with Craig. The planes developed during that time period were very interesting and full of good and crazy ideas. I would call it the Golden age of aviation around the world, and it is regrettable that so few kits be made available, especially in large scales.

And yes, these yellow painted planes and the big Seversky belly planes are just wonderful to assemble and look at.

Yves

19 minutes ago, CDW said:

This becomes an awkward piece to paint. Additionally there is no support for the cowl as it just hangs over the radial engine cylinders.

Is it too late to paint the cowl pieces before assembly?

Afterwards you’d only have to mask the whole thing, rather than trying to work around the odd bits.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I ran into similar cowl dilemmas on my early-WWII planes.  I'd probably paint the interior of the cowl first, then assemble over the engine, then paint the cowl exterior as a separate paint job from the rest of the plane rather than pre-paint the exterior of the cowl halves and try to then assemble it over the engine.  I found - at least on my kits - that the fit of the cowl pieces can be tricky and less than ideal, so there was clean up required after getting the cowl together.

Mike

43 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Is it too late to paint the cowl pieces before assembly?

Afterwards you’d only have to mask the whole thing, rather than trying to work around the odd bits.

Andy

23 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I ran into similar cowl dilemmas on my early-WWII planes.  I'd probably paint the interior of the cowl first, then assemble over the engine, then paint the cowl exterior as a separate paint job from the rest of the plane rather than pre-paint the exterior of the cowl halves and try to then assemble it over the engine.  I found - at least on my kits - that the fit of the cowl pieces can be tricky and less than ideal, so there was clean up required after getting the cowl together.

The cowl is just taped together right now. My intention is to paint inside the cowl pieces first, then assemble the cowl halves around the engine, cementing them together, then mask the engine and paint the outside of the cowl. It seems to me the cowl would have separated IRL around the cowl and probably in two pieces, upper and lower, just as it is molded on the model. Only difference is that the real thing would have had brackets the cowl pieces bolted/fastened to.

The nice thing, the join itself will not need to be filled and sanded smooth to look realistic. The Yellow Wings decal markings show two different colors being used on the upper and lower cowl halves, not a single color as the Hasegawa markings have it.

Sorry for any confusion - that's what I meant I would do.  Good luck!

Mike

There are a few large gaps to fill on the fuselage where an upper and lower panel are positioned. These gaps are best filled with sheet styrene pieces then cut, trimmed and sanded rather than using putty. An aerodynamic ring located at the bottom of the fuselage requires some modification with scrap styrene in order to fit as intended against the bottom fuselage panel. No big deal any of this, just something to be aware of if you own this kit or are thinking of building one yourself.

IMG_5445.jpeg

IMG_5446.jpeg

IMG_5447.jpeg

IMG_5448.jpeg

IMG_5449.jpeg

First of the fuselage colors to go down is a light aircraft gray. Additional colors will be silver, red and green. A colorful bird, it’s part of what I like about the golden age aircraft. The color combinations. 
I wonder if this kit will ever be produced again. Get one now while you can. They sell for very small money on EBay, often $30 or less. Well worth it IMO.

IMG_5450.jpeg

IMG_5451.jpeg