HM Cutter Trial 1790 by AJohnson - Vanguard Models - 1:64th

Evening All,

I received a wonderful little package today - my next ship build! 😁

I'm starting a Build Log, more in wishful thinking as the house is still a bit upside down since our loft tank decided to spring a major leak back in May, but we are getting there and hope to have the house and workshop back to rights by September(ish.)

Time this evening to do a little box opening and have a look through the well packed box.  Lying on top a hefty instruction Manual and eleven sheet plans - much bigger than the "Nisha" ones of my last VM kit.  When I get chance I will be drooling over these items and reading the plans/instructions between wallpapering and painting (the house).

Won't replicate details of the Cutter itself, all explained in detail in Chris's Prototype build log:-

The contents.

Trial 01.JPG

Trial 02.JPG

Trial 03.JPG

Trial 04.JPG

Trial 05.JPG

Trial 06.JPG

Trial 07.JPG

Trial 08.JPG

Trial 09.JPG

Trial 10.JPG

Trial 11.JPG

Trial 12.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

As something of a goal to aim for, I do intend to add sails as I did with the "Nisha" using tissue/parchment paper.

The look I will be going for is something along the lines of these pictures.  It also has the added advantage that with the yards, at an angle, I won't be needing as deep a case/shelf to store the finished model - that's the plan anyway! 😉

Cutter 01.jpg

Cutter 02.png

Cutter 03.jpg

Cutter 04.png

Edited by AJohnson

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Evening All,

I received a wonderful little package today - my next ship build! 😁

I'm starting a Build Log, more in wishful thinking as the house is still a bit upside down since our loft tank decided to spring a major leak back in May, but we are getting there and hope to have the house and workshop back to rights by September(ish.)

Time this evening to do a little box opening and have a look through the well packed box.  Lying on top a hefty instruction Manual and eleven sheet plans - much bigger than the "Nisha" ones of my last VM kit.  When I get chance I will be drooling over these items and reading the plans/instructions between wallpapering and painting (the house).

Won't replicate details of the Cutter itself, all explained in detail in Chris's Prototype build log:-

The contents.

Trial 01.JPG

Trial 02.JPG

Trial 03.JPG

Trial 04.JPG

Trial 05.JPG

Trial 06.JPG

Trial 07.JPG

Trial 08.JPG

Trial 09.JPG

Trial 10.JPG

Trial 11.JPG

Trial 12.JPG

Snap !

I am looking forward to your build log! The pictures alone are promising, and if you look at those PE sheets...

Waiting for the delivery ☺️

Uwe

I will be following your log with great interest, especially as you plan to fit sails.  I fitted furled sails to Alert, which was my first build, not having the confidence or skills to create accurate and convincing full sails.  Since then, I've read some very helpful build logs such as Hollowneck's Sphinx (Camilla), and I'm pondering whether to add sails to my Sphinx.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, Nipper said:

I will be following your log with great interest, especially as you plan to fit sails.  I fitted furled sails to Alert, which was my first build, not having the confidence or skills to create accurate and convincing full sails.  Since then, I've read some very helpful build logs such as Hollowneck's Sphinx (Camilla), and I'm pondering whether to add sails to my Sphinx.

Nipper

Glad to have you along, I used the same source for how to do sails and there are plenty of other posts on MSW show other builders techniques.

Good luck on your journey :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Very much looking forward to seeing you build Trial. I’m toying between her and Speedy for my next build after Grecian. Dan

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Looking forward to seeing this come together 👍

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

I'm thinking that this will be my next project after Diana and hope to start within a month so I'm following with interest.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

Well another typical UK Bank-holiday weekend !  So it means I make a start on Trial😁

And in one sitting, on a rainy afternoon I have, without rushing, made my way through steps 1 - 24 of the instructions.  First up, I think I am addicted to the smell of laser cut wood! 🤓

I don't want to go over the instruction line by line as Chris's Prototype build-log says it all, but there were a few things I found building it for myself I will comment on. 

I do a lot of modelling with a Swann-Morton Scalpel, but as mentioned in the instructions, you just sometimes can't beat a heavier knife with a new blade and this stage with the cutting out of the MDF frames is one of those times.  It was amazing how much the box emptied in the first hour of so of this, good fun.  The first job was making the keel base/supports, almost like having a keel clamp included in the kit!   The only messy bit for this first session was the pre-sanding of some of the bulkheads, so I did that in the garage with the Dremel and mask on.  One point to note if you are familiar with Vanguard's beginners kits like Nisha I built recently, there are no etched guild lines on the bulkheads to sand down to.  No problem, no other kits have that, so I was cautious and did what I thought matched the instructions, I can always do more later.

Stage #6 warns builders to make sure they don't get glue in the slot of bulkhead #13 (stern patterns)  I got around that by using a metal file to keep the PVA glue out of the slot that goes onto the  keel.

One slight warning note for other builders is that parts#14 that go on either side of the central keel (they form the three slots for the Trial's sliding keels) are a bit delicate once cut out of the former and through my own  roughness/clumsiness one of them started to break; it didn't actually come apart, but it was a close thing.  Once held in place by parts "K1" all was solid and no fear of it breaking.  The lower deck part #25 makes everything much more rigid.

Parts 26 and then parts 15/16 at the bow followed by the pear parts B-1 to B-6 form the false deck supports and these really brings things together; they are helpfully etched with which direction you need to face them.  The Stern platform supports #35 & #36 bring to a close this opening session.

This part of the build really did go together very easily, the tolerance on the slots was just right, snug, but not so tight you were worrying about braking anything pushing the parts together.  There will be a slight pause now for a short holiday and then a final session with the contractors to restore the house following the loft leak, so the garage will temporarily be full of "stuff"  hope to back on this soon! :pirate41:

Thanks for looking in! 👓

Trial 13.JPG

Trial 14.JPG

Trial 15.JPG

Trial 16.JPG

Trial 17.JPG

Trial 18.JPG

Trial 19.JPG

Trial 20.JPG

Trial 21.JPG

Trial 22.JPG

Trial 23.JPG

Trial 24.JPG

Trial 25.JPG

Trial 26.JPG

Trial 27.JPG

Trial 28.JPG

Trial 29.JPG

Trial 30.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

I love these kits. 

It is amazing how far you can get in an afternoon. 

Looking forward to see this one planked.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

A great start Andrew and no better way to spend a wet Bank Holiday.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks all for the encouragement at the start of this build.  Last update for a bit, the Admiral wants me to do some suitcase packing!  And while I am away I am hoping David @dunnock will leapfrog me on his "Trial" build so I can shamelessly copy him!  Given his just brilliant HMS Diana he has recently finished, I will be in very good company. 😁

So, trying to keep "waffle" to a minimum @Jack-in-the-Blue 😉 - onwards!

I was keen to get the Stern parts on in order to protect the stern frames from my inevitable "accidents"  so I got the stern counter, Stern bulkheads, Transom and raised stern platform glued on as soon as I could after adding the stern filling patterns (most of these patterns get sanded off later.) - Phew all on and no broken bits! 😀

The false deck is also in place now and drying, but not until I had placed a "lucky" penny as close to the mast position as I could  (from 1999, they year the Admiral and me first met.)  The front end of the false deck I put in a few pins for good measure where I couldn't clamp it.

This is where things will sit and dry for a bit now while real life takes centre stage for a couple of weeks.  Over to you @dunnock to keep the campers entertained!  :cheers:

Trial 31.JPG

Trial 32.JPG

Trial 33.JPG

Trial 34.JPG

Trial 35.JPG

Trial 36.JPG

Trial 37.JPG

Trial 38.JPG

Trial 40.JPG

Trial 41.JPG

Nice touch to include the coin -- though I expect that down the road it will only ever be seen if some serious harm befalls your model. 😳  For my wooden models, I typically write down some details in pencil on a piece of acid-free paper and then tuck that inside the hull.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

It's a lovely build and a lovely commentary.  I assumed that the penny was the lucky penny - the actual one in your pocket at the fateful moment - and surely you would not hide this for ever in the bowels of the boat!

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

4 hours ago, Nipper said:

It's a lovely build and a lovely commentary.  I assumed that the penny was the lucky penny - the actual one in your pocket at the fateful moment - and surely you would not hide this for ever in the bowels of the boat!

Nipper

🤣 - we since got married and now have two "kids" at University, so every penny, included the ones down the back of the sofa, have been raided since 1999! 

This is just a penny we found recently, I have a little stash of pennies of various significant vintages for this purpose.

Edited by AJohnson

2 hours ago, Craigie65 said:

Sturdy little thing isn’t she. 

Yes, built like the proverbial "Brick Sh$*-house" as the crude old saying goes! 😆

Once all glued this is a very solid little model, it has been great fun so far and the hull form means I don't think planking will be too troublesome when we get to it.