SU-85 WW2 Soviet Tank Destroyer by CDW - MiniArt - 1:35 Scale

CDW

On 8/26/2023 at 1:11 AM, Old Collingwood said:

Its  looking  excellent  Craig   -   so  much talent  on show  in this  section of  our  home,    so  grateful   to  the  mods   for  allowing  us  to show  our  other  talents.

OC.

Thanks OC. Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, king derelict said:

Its that time of the year again. I see a hurricane warning is up for the West Coast. I hope Idalia is not coming knocking on your door (or mine). Take Care

lan

I'm keeping my eye on it. These things are unpredictable this far out. Lots can happen between now and Tuesday/Wednesday. We will prepare as best we can and hold tight.

On 8/28/2023 at 6:45 AM, Javlin said:

.17HMR cases cut down

.22lr on the left .17HMR on the right//

22lr-ammo-next-to-17-HMR-ammo.thumb.jpg.3a47900e0da6fbbc407047b3b704f458.jpg

Good guess, but I think the the main casing/base is too big for scale on the .17HMR... but close... {chuckle} Kinda does look like an artillery round... (the round calibre is 1/20th an 85mm artillery round, it would more accurately represent a soviet 122mm AP round)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Above all brothers, STAY SAFE....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Hopefully, y'all are outside the inundation zones. When I worked emergency management, there were many who encroached these zones and took damage from the storms. They'd come to us looking for the "FEMA insurance" because they didn't want to use their homeowner policies. That might have been true40 years ago, but laws changed and FEMA could only pay your deductible after that. I think that may be the nub of the problems in Hawaii, unfortunately.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

All too true Craig. We had barrier islands and pre-Labor Day crowds. Local EM wouldn't move their populations early until after that holiday. Skating on thin ice, they were.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Reports are it will hit from the gulf side tomorrow morning as a CAT: 3 just north of Tampa...

Praying for ya brothers and everyone else in the path...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

11 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Reports are it will hit from the gulf side tomorrow morning as a CAT: 3 just north of Tampa...

Praying for ya brothers and everyone else in the path...

My wife and I just spent Saturday at a small town where the storm will make landfall. It has one of our favorite seafood restaurants. I remarked to my wife to look at how high the tides there come in. The parking lot is only a couple of feet above sea level. It will be far underwater tomorrow.

That point on the coast has had few hurricane landfalls, but....

Ken

And sometimes that makes it worse. Trees are higher and some older buildings are more susceptible. When Francis came through here after more than thirty years without a burrito really made a mess. Two weeks without power and I liked a six foot high pile of branches that stretched thirty feet down the kerb.. Wilma came through the following year and the Lights were off for two days and the yard had very little debris.

I hope all is well over there Craig

Alan

53 minutes ago, king derelict said:

And sometimes that makes it worse. Trees are higher and some older buildings are more susceptible. When Francis came through here after more than thirty years without a burrito really made a mess. Two weeks without power and I liked a six foot high pile of branches that stretched thirty feet down the kerb.. Wilma came through the following year and the Lights were off for two days and the yard had very little debris.

I hope all is well over there Craig

Alan

Everything good here. Just a mess of small branches the wind pruned from our oak trees. A lot of rain, probably four to five inches overnight and this morning. 

The last major hurricane that made a direct strike on Tampa happened around a hundred years ago. My dad was a young boy when it came through. On Westshore Blvd, an area filled with luxury waterfront homes today, the tidal surge came up so high that cattle were found dead (drowned) in the upper branches of large oak trees after the water receded. Back then, all that area where millions of dollars in real estate is invested today, nothing but farm and pasture existed then.

After watching that video and the TV NEWS footage of the storm surge flooding, I think I’d rather endure 30 below windchill and 4 feet of snow than even one of those hurricanes. 

Stay safe !

Edited by Jack12477

27 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

After watching that video and the TV NEWS footage of the storm surge flooding, I think I’d rather endure 30 below windchill and 4 feet of snow than even one of those hurricanes. 

Stay safe !

The most devastating site I've ever seen was the aftermath of hurricane Andrew in 1992. Some of the 1st hand accounts of what it was like going through that hurricane makes my hair stand on end. The wind damage from Andrew was absolutely devastating.

41 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Stay safe !

In '56 or '57 or so as a kid I went thru the tail end of a hurricane, scared out of my wits when the whole house started shaking, and remembering the screech of the wind still sends shivers down my spine... Long about '72-73 or so as a teenager I saw 4 feet of snow from an overnight blizzard, we had to climb out the window to shovel a path to the door to open it... And this was smack dab in the middle of Connecticut....

I'll pass on either weather condition/situation, thank you... {chuckle}

Quote:

Nice job on the casings - a question though - some Russian systems used lacquered steel (green-ish) casings.  Was this the case for the 85mm?  Or were they brass?  (mid-war brass shortages were a thing.)

As for hurricanes, I grew up in a house with a leaky basement, so I only every bought houses on hills...water would have to come up over 20 feet from the lake to get to my basement level in my current home.   I've got 2 generators, lots of gas, sufficient food, and other 'stores' that would be useful.  After living through a few hurricanes now here in Halifax, I'm reasonably well setup.  I go out with my chainsaw to help others now, and usually lend out the smaller generator to a neighbour that ain't got much, and certainly cannot afford to lose a freezer worth of food.

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

OK....so I've answered my own question about the shells.

gqvrdxd3ymx61.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

3 hours ago, CDW said:

The most devastating site I've ever seen was the aftermath of hurricane Andrew in 1992.

That hurricane nearly bankrupt the two major insurance companies in Florida. Even the offshore reinsurance companies had to struggle to cover the losses. 

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Long about '72-73 or so as a teenager I saw 4 feet of snow from an overnight blizzard, we had to climb out the window to shovel a path to the door to open it..

Same here, except I was newly married, in my late twenties, living in apartment. We had to climb down a lower balcony to get the snow drift away from the building door, then had to dig 2 cars out of a snowdrift.  Then went back inside and partied with the other tenants.  

I've been through tornadoes and I'd rather take my chances with one of those then a hurricane.  And now they're saying there's a storm to the east of Florida which could be just as bad.   Just stay save, everyone.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

While my initial vision was to leave parts of the armor removable so the interior could be seen, it was an open question as to whether or not the panels would line up sufficiently (without huge seams and gaps) to allow for this possibility. For at least the fighting compartment, this now seems to get a green light. Will just have to wait and see if the engine compartment deck fits as well.

IMG_5655.jpeg

IMG_5656.jpeg

IMG_5657.jpeg

IMG_5658.jpeg

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Will just have to wait and see if the engine compartment deck fits as well.

It will if you make it fit.... {chuckle}

Beautiful, it would be a real shame to lock away all that work....

Quote:

Obviously not a good candidate for a busy diorama. The model includes everything, including a kitchen sink. It's very busy. 👍😄

Ken

That's a "cozy" crew compartment.  Your work is excellent. 👍

Ken