SU-85 WW2 Soviet Tank Destroyer by CDW - MiniArt - 1:35 Scale

CDW

1 hour ago, CDW said:

when or if targeted by Witmann or perhaps Ernst Udet

Or, any Feldwebel with a panzerfaust.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, Canute said:

That's a "cozy" crew compartment.  Your work is excellent. 👍

"cozy" is an understatement, IMO.   I'm surprised anyone could even work the gun in that space.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

58 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

"cozy" is an understatement, IMO.   I'm surprised anyone could even work the gun in that space.

The SU-85 was based on the venerable T-34 chassis. It was built to combat the Tiger tank as the T-34 at that time was equipped with a 76mm gun that could not penetrate the Tiger armor at combat range (1000 yards). The 85mm gun, a modified anti-aircraft gun, was too big to fit inside the T-34 turret, thus the stop-gap measure that brought about the SU-85. Tight quarters, very tight.

For any who might be interested, I highly recommend watching the Russian movie (with English subtitles) T-34. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the film and how it captivated my interest all the way to the end. Watch it. You will like it.

1 hour ago, Javlin said:

How many fellas worked in there?2/3? I dare say no one better fart/gas in that room the machine would stop functioning.So it was alot like the Jagdpanzer.The build is coming along very nicely Craig.:imNotWorthy:

Believe it or not, it had a crew of 4. Hard to believe. The good thing about it, farts freeze in mid-air in the winter months in that climate. 😄

Progressing nicely Craig. 👍

The crews had to be pretty short/small to shoehorn 4 bodies into that beast.  6 footers need not apply.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

42 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Ha! - Just how long did that hat last! Our pooch would have shredded it in no time, he looks great fun! 🐶

We were shocked when he never tried to remove it. Thought he would for sure.

41 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

That 'frost'? effect on the larger plate is amazing, I know its plastic, but in looks like cold steel! 🥶

Thanks Andrew. Can you even imagine how cold it must have been inside a tank during the winter in Russia? Your skin would probably stick to the steel if you touched it.

On 9/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, CDW said:

Believe it or not, it had a crew of 4. Hard to believe. The good thing about it, farts freeze in mid-air in the winter months in that climate. 😄

With 4 crewman in there plus the engine right behind them, I d think it was plenty warm..  Now summer would be another issue.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow, nice progress Craig. It was only about a week of vacation and whoops, the SU-85 is near the finish line. I thought it must take longer to work with this huge amount of parts. The interior looks super bueno and I hope for good news about the fitting of the top panels, as I had the same idea like you, to leave them unglued. 
The frosting effect looks very convincing. Do you plan icicles and snow or ice in the tracks?

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

7 hours ago, DocRob said:

Wow, nice progress Craig. It was only about a week of vacation and whoops, the SU-85 is near the finish line. I thought it must take longer to work with this huge amount of parts. The interior looks super bueno and I hope for good news about the fitting of the top panels, as I had the same idea like you, to leave them unglued. 
The frosting effect looks very convincing. Do you plan icicles and snow or ice in the tracks?

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. I planned on snow but your idea of icicles is great. I had not thought of that.

Individual track links are generally a real pain in the rear to assemble and fit to the model. The following photos show the way I approach the task in individual steps. 

I first assemble the number of links necessary to carry the track around the idler wheel and first road wheel. I use Tamiya thin cement to put the links together then before they completely set up to dry, shape/form them around the idler and road wheel to conform to the shape. Use a large rubber band to hold the links in place while they set up.

DSCN3258.thumb.JPG.7dfce1fd435c4ec9fb014e78764ad603.JPG

DSCN3261.thumb.JPG.02b14891d8b2dd31168c987834042bf4.JPG

DSCN3262.thumb.JPG.e6afc747b62293a1f1363aba7fd05280.JPG

Repeat the same process to shape a track section around the drive wheel and last road wheel. Again, use the rubber band to hold it in place while the glue sets up.

DSCN3263.thumb.JPG.50d30588b424f2aa9dd472cd12b8f1a1.JPG

Assemble the links required to fill in the straight sections between the fore and aft sections completed previously.

This is how it looks when it's all finished.

DSCN3259.thumb.JPG.2c3ada5c75d30e261438739c560b3fdf.JPG

It's important to NOT glue the wheels in place in the previous steps, as you will later remove the track and wheels so the track may be painted. Once painted, the wheels and track can then be glued in place.

The red arrow points to the mounting shaft for the idler wheel. This part can be rotated forward or back to add or release tension on the tracks. It's important to initially fit this part dry and only cement it into place after proper tension is put on the tracks after link assembly. The kit instructions do not point this out, it's just one of those things you learn through trial and error and/or careful thought and examination of the entire assembly.

Idlershaft.thumb.jpg.f5d32421605c05054e383df546dbafae.jpg

With the tracks painted, the wheels and track are placed back on the model. I've used some scrap pieces of foam to bring the top part of the tracks down onto the road wheels and give it the natural appearance of sag seen on real tracked vehicles. With this being said, it finishes the saga on tracks and will now move forward with adding the remaining details and weathering the model.

DSCN3265.thumb.JPG.aab5fa990ad2aa51b75a6e058a95561f.JPGDSCN3266.thumb.JPG.f654abd8ee4d3259740fd161f9cfc99f.JPGDSCN3267.thumb.JPG.99e62e644f3f1d50134bc87ed3d3fb3a.JPG

Making a feeble attempt to create snow effects on the model. I'm halfway in and at a point of no return now. The small "canvas tarp" laying on the engine cover is made of tissue paper. Under it are some small sections of 1:4 inch square balsa stock to add some appearance of a cargo the crew is trying to protect. No more room inside the fighting compartment.

DSCN3268.JPG

DSCN3269.JPG

DSCN3270.JPG

Hmm, Russian C rats on the bottom, ice cream on top? 😁

The snow and ice look really good, Craig. I can remember winters in various places I've been with gear looking like that.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 minutes ago, Canute said:

Hmm, Russian C rats on the bottom, ice cream on top? 😁

The snow and ice look really good, Craig. I can remember winters in various places I've been with gear looking like that.

Thanks Ken. I'm going to give Doc Rob's suggestion a try and attempt to create a few icicles here and there. Never tried it before but have wanted to. Now's the time.

The tracks worked out nicely Craig. The snow looks very convincing too, but I would have left some parts of the engine deck and exhaust protectors free of snow, where it would have melted with the engine heat.
I once read an article about producing icicles from clear sprue, but forgot about the details. I never tried snow and ice before, so I'm eager to see your 'recipe' 

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48