Hawker Hurricane Mk. I by ccoyle - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD

Rudder yoke and instrument panel installed. The kit doesn't supply extra parts for adding depth to the panel. It could be done by photocopying the panel to create an extra layer, but I was too lazy. Hey, at least I'm honest!

image.jpeg.3f5640eba15013146f2e82920b86f36e.jpeg

I should add that I do have the Hurricane Mk. IIc kit from Kartonowa Kolekcja, and that kit does have parts for doubling the instrument panel.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

A semi-disastrous day today. After test-fitting the wrap-around outer cockpit skin TWICE, during which tests it seemed to fit loosely, I glued one side on, only to discover that the other side was too short! I managed to get the glued side off before it had completely set, but not without some minor damage to the paper, resulting in some faint crinkling. Then, onward with Try #2. First side went on fine, but the other side wound up slightly crooked -- which I noticed only AFTER it was too late to do anything about it. As a result, I will eventually have at least one, probably two, somewhat hideous seams to repair. Fun. 🙄

image.jpeg.19778f82b52b62957ca9c9432b265153.jpeg

Construction now moves on to the forward fuselage. Unlike later Halinski designs, the nose section of this kit has no longitudinal frame, only transverse bulkheads -- I suspect this will yield a somewhat delicate structure.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

8 hours ago, Ab Hoving said:

Don't say I didn't warn you about the fitting of the outer skin. Any slight mistake is punished mercilessly here.

Which is why I double-checked the fit before gluing and got bit anyway. But, happily, seams can be fixed -- they can be papered over, one might say.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Posted (edited)

Can you add your own longitudinal framing?

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Some progress on the forward fuselage, starting with the skins, joiner strips, and joiner tabs cut out and edge colored, then glued together to make the four fuselage sections.

image.jpeg.ce94fe338f75834f5cb30dfec5c7807c.jpeg

Then the skins are shaped and glued into tubes, here shown with their bulkheads.

image.jpeg.9d5a2446e5bfcda98af107c461efea5f.jpeg

After some sanding to assure that the fits weren't too tight, the bulkheads were then glued in and allowed to dry. Here's the first two sections glued together and test-fitted to the cockpit section. You can see where one of the "hideous seams" I described earlier will occur, though it is not as bad as I feared it might be.

image.thumb.jpeg.a3653f804aeb555d443a7e49e3e5c481.jpeg

And that's it for today.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

As far as gaps at seams go, I've had a little experience with that. :(  I've often wished kit makers would print a little swatch of skin color somewhere in the book that could be used for patches.  I think I recall seeing one that actually did that (Orlik Wright Flyer I think).  I've tried scanning and printing but could never get it close enough to suit.   Oh well....

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

47 minutes ago, rlwhitt said:

I've often wished kit makers would print a little swatch of skin color somewhere in the book that could be used for patches. 

That's actually quite common in kits these days. The big problem, though, for this particular aircraft is the feathered edges between the brown and green areas of camouflage. Such edges are difficult to replicate neatly. But for this particular seam (and whatever others may result from my misalignment mishap), I'm determined to put it out of mind until I'm ready to attach the forward fuselage. No sense fretting about it before I get there.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So, here is the forward fuselage glued together, along with the patch of the "hideous seam." It is really hard, for me at least, to get a close match for four-color offset printing -- tinted paint just can't replicate exactly the tone and saturation of all the variously colored dots of a printed part. This is about the best I could do, and the result doesn't look too terrible to my eye. It looks worst when viewed straight on, as in this shot, and looks less obvious at other angles.

image.jpeg.64d8ea5998bc106daa031e91c5798544.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, it looks great. It's one of those 'you'll be the only one to notice' details. 

How did the port side turn out? Display it with the better side showing. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

15 hours ago, Canute said:

How did the port side turn out? Display it with the better side showing. ;)

If you go back to the photo of my new shelving, you'll notice that all of my models are angled to starboard.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The next fuselage section is ready to attach. You may notice that it is not actually attached in this photo. That's because the two sections have an incredibly tight fit. I'm not even 100% certain that I can get them to go together. But I decided to wait until the next session before working further on this conundrum. (BTW, I have been sanding down all of the bulkheads in anticipation of just such fit issues as this. It hasn't gone quite to plan. Also BTW, that's not a tear in the aft section -- it's a cut where part of the piece folds down to create part of the cockpit canopy slide rail.)

image.thumb.jpeg.e23ad11191c984485a2d6b64af5e3460.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Well, my friends, it looks like this will be yet another well and truly screwed attempt at building a Halinski model. As you can see in the photo, in spite of all my best efforts to anticipate tight fits and sand the frames accordingly, there is still a nearly 2 mm height difference between the aft cockpit and the upper fuselage skin of the next section. No amount of gentle shaping has been able to coax that skin into place, and the joiner strips on the cockpit are degrading with the effort.

image.jpeg.3316e1d15e1e5fcb5158ab4bf6102bc3.jpeg

Maybe I should just learn my lesson and leave the Halinski kits to the Poles, who alone among the peoples of the earth seem capable of regularly completing them. After all, I only have like 22 left.🙄  This is just so, sooooo frustrating and depressing -- makes me feel like the rankest amateur all over again.😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, we can tell from your past work that you're more than capable to build Halinski kits with success. Keep plugging away, I'm sure you'll get there. 

Issues like this is why I gave up on paper modeling.... Plenty of ways to fix this type of thing, but it's next to impossible once the skin is glued in place.... And you generally don't find this type of stuff until it is in place...

Halinski's can be a challenge... Absolutely gorgeous when they go together correctly, frustrating fire lighters when they don't....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I remember now I had this problem too. But if you want to show the hood in the backwards position, you don't see the mess right under it. I must have repressed this, because I never saw the mistake again. I always looked at the model with satisfaction, even though much of the paint has been eaten by now. Perhaps I have to do it again, but there are so many other things I like and so little time...

Pity to leave a good model unfinished.

30 minutes ago, Ab Hoving said:

But if you want to show the hood in the backwards position, you don't see the mess right under it.

Ironically, I was actually planning to have the canopy closed on this model. I have one idea left to try on this train wreck before I throw in the towel. We'll see how it goes.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Well, after all that doom-and-gloom reaction last night, I think I hit on a solution that will work. First I took a short break to finish off the cockpit canopy rails. Then, moving on to the aft fuselage skin, I cut a slit from the forward edge back to one of the small boxes printed on the spine. There I cut in two small perpendicular slits, creating two flaps.

image.jpeg.0b7c95f720c6c1c53a04e83b762d5885.jpeg

The two flaps can now spread apart when the skin is added to the cockpit section, forming a dart that will need to be filled in with scrap card. I will add a joiner strip between the two sides, so that the dart will have some subsurface to adhere to.

image.jpeg.34bcef2d792148295f3fc22f7bff07d3.jpeg

There will be a visible repair after the job is finished, but at least I won't have to round-file the entire project -- yet.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Like others have said  - thats an excellent  recovery.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice recovery!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Good Thinking, The Admiral said in passing that the solution was simple, it's just like tailoring a pair of pants or a skirt, when you need to make it larger you add a dart in the seam....

Well thought out my friend....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"