I've lost it....need a refresher to get my confidence back

I took a near 2 year hiatus from serious building. I had started a collectable postage stamp store online and was pretty consumed with that. I had 5 very nice (IMO) builds behind me ( Convulsion, Sherbourne, Bluenose, Dos Amigos, and Flirt). None perfect re: planking but certainly more than passable (IMO). I've now quit two builds (Brig Supply and Cheerful) as my planking "skills" have disappeared. Maybe it's age (76), but it has discouraged me from continuing this hobby.

Before just moving on, I thought maybe I should regroup and try a simpler build. Something with nice wood and better than average instructions. Vanguard seems to meet both those requirements. Any suggestion....Vanguard or otherwise? It does not need o be a warship (ie old fishing vessels maybe).

Thanks in advance.

Something  I wished I did was a half hull project  from NRG. It looks like a great tune up,  check out the NRG store, great wood clear installation.  Just a thought :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Posted (edited)

I’ve never built one but I keep looking at the Wasen - Japanese style boats made by Woody JOE. They look like they would be an interesting and fun build. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Paul Le Wol
Typo

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1 hour ago, bigcreekdad said:

Vanguard seems to meet both those requirements. Any suggestion....Vanguard or otherwise?

I highly recommend your thoughts about going with (another) Vanguard kit. Over the past two years, Chris Watton has created a number of smaller, reasonably priced kits including fishing vessels; you will also note on the Vanguard site a "rating system" for one's level of building skills. Planking is never easy and requires patience: Vanguard has implemented numerous kit improvements that help a modeler with this challenge. Welcome back! - Good luck - You can do it. 

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

This is supposed to be an activity that’s enjoyable so if planking is a problem, choose a project that doesn’t involve it.  If you are limited to kits check out solid hulls.  Bluejacket offers some, as does A.J. Fisher.  A well made solid hull model is no less authentic than a planked POB one.  The important thing is correctly reproducing the hull shape.  OR. Find a POB model that is easy to plank.  How about a Skipjack?  There is at least one Skipjack kit on the market and their relatively small size allows modeling at a scale that allows detailing.

Roger

Another option is to look for a kit that has pre-spiled planks (usually laser cut). I believe Dusek does this for some models, and I saw a lot of praise for Master Korabel kits well but I'm not sure it's easy to get their kits these days as the maker is Russian.

Why not have a go at one of model airways aircraft. Challenging, great fun and no planking. I can recommend them.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I'm right there also, BCD.   Hit the wall hard this time.  I'm considering the Half-Hull project from the NRG as my wall I hit was the planking.  Seems to be a reasonable price and a well thought out project.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

17 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

I took a near 2 year hiatus from serious building. I had started a collectable postage stamp store online and was pretty consumed with that. I had 5 very nice (IMO) builds behind me ( Convulsion, Sherbourne, Bluenose, Dos Amigos, and Flirt). None perfect re: planking but certainly more than passable (IMO). I've now quit two builds (Brig Supply and Cheerful) as my planking "skills" have disappeared. Maybe it's age (76), but it has discouraged me from continuing this hobby.

Before just moving on, I thought maybe I should regroup and try a simpler build. Something with nice wood and better than average instructions. Vanguard seems to meet both those requirements. Any suggestion....Vanguard or otherwise? It does not need o be a warship (ie old fishing vessels maybe).

Thanks in advance.

I suggest the following kits, by Amati.

https://www.amatimodel.com/en/models-amati-classic/product-robert-e-lee-assembly-box-2024-edition-b1439.html?_gl=1*1y7f76j*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw17qvBhBrEiwA1rU9w_ycr4hf1YAwInKylBzFOnaL2uVCYrfPsHXfh41Hk42oM-V6KYhXPBoCfKgQAvD_BwE

Classical steam boat Robert E. Lee. the problem of the hull planking is solved, since there is no hull planking at all.

otherwise:

Pirate chinese junk.

https://www.amatimodel.com/en/models-amati-classic/product-chinese-pirate-junk-b1421.html?_gl=1*1xcnvvq*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjw17qvBhBrEiwA1rU9w_ycr4hf1YAwInKylBzFOnaL2uVCYrfPsHXfh41Hk42oM-V6KYhXPBoCfKgQAvD_BwE

the problem of hull planking is solved here too, since the bow and stern are cut stright due to the specific shape of this ship.

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....