HMS Harpy 1796 (production prototype) by James H - Vanguard Models - 1/64

HMS Harpy - 1796

plan.jpg

HMS Harpy was a Royal Navy Diligence-class brig-sloop, launched in 1796 and sold in 1817. She was the longest lived vessel of her class, and the most widely travelled. She served in both the battle of Copenhagen and the British invasion of Java, took part in several actions, one of which won for her crew a clasp to the Naval General Service Medal, and captured numerous privateers. The Navy sold her in 1817. (from Wikipedia)

Prototype

It seems like an age since there was something new on my bench for building. HMS Indefatigable's construction was slightly punctuated by Grecian, but as now I'm idle again and in need of doing something useful with my time, Chris sent over his latest, HMS Harpy, for me to build up and create the material for the manual!

prof1.jpg

prof2.jpg

prof3.jpg

Chris shipped this out in a typical Grecian/Adder size box and there's quite some weight in this one, even without the plans and eventual manual. The box already seems packed out, and as usual, Chris's boss, Chan, has properly packed everything so nothing was broken.

DSC_0558.jpg

There are FOUR sheets of MDF in this kit (two x 2mm and two x 3mm), for creating the hull framing and the construction cradle. Again, the hull is designed so you can more or less build it dry, align and tweak as necessary, and then apply your glue to a now perfect hull.

DSC_0559.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

One sheet of 0.8mm ply is supplied for the main deck that sits under the engraved deck. Here you'll find the stern transom and counter, and the inner sandwich for the bulwarks.

DSC_0562.jpg

Here are the engraved lime decks.The main deck has optional parts to fit into the cutouts...should you feel the need to add them, and another engraved deck sits on the MDF sub deck, creating the ship's lower deck. The whole lower deck area will be festooned in engraved details too. This should look quite special. The upper deck beams are authentically placed and the lower ply support deck won't be seen at all on this build. 

DSC_0563.jpg

Three 1mm pear sheets are included. These contain parts for the mast tops, keel/prow/rudder sheathings, and at the bottom you'll see all those engraved walls for the lower deck area. There's also a cabin or two included in that mix. Also note the engravings on this kit are enhanced too.

DSC_0564.jpg

3.jpg

Three sheets of 0.8mm pear contain the wales, anchor stock facings, outer bulwarks and various stern, bow pieces etc. 

DSC_0565.jpg

Two more 0.8mm sheets contain the inner bulwarks, gunwales and parts for the mass, such as the fish etc.

DSC_0566.jpg

The upper sheet here is a 2mm one, containing the actual keel, prow and rudder post, rudder, carronade trucks, bitts, catheads, trestle tree parts and cutter mounting frames. The lower 0.6mm sheet concerns itself with numerous details for deck furnishings, stairways and parts for finishing the cutter. The cutter itself will be supplied as a beautiful and accurate 3D-printed part, so no more having to plank small boats for this one. You will have options for mounting the cutter....either use the deck mount parts, or hang over the stern on davits.

DSC_0567.jpg

Two 1.5mm sheets are included, containing anchor stock parts, as well as channels, cleats, cannon carts, grates, shot garlands, and various parts from bow to stern. A single 3mm sheet has parts for a small number of deck beams, gaff and boom ends, chimney and main hatch frames etc. Lastly, the 4mm sheet contains the main deck beams, coamings, mast caps.

DSC_0568.jpg

Lime planking is used for the first layer, as is normal, and pear will be used for the second layer. You also see dowel here for masting and a quantity of brass rod is also supplied.

DSC_0569.jpg

Three photo etch sheets will be supplied with this release. You'll recognise many parts here, from eyelets, decor, ship's wheel, strops, trestles etc.

DSC_0571.jpg

And here is the rig pack! I'm still firmly in rig mode from Indy, and the anaesthetic hasn't yet worn off!

DSC_0572.jpg

A box of fittings holds the anchors, blocks, ship's stove, laserbak rudder hinges, cannon and carronades/carronade wheels, parrel beads, thimbles, brass pins, cannon shot, and black cartridge paper.

DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

I'll make a start on Harpy tomorrow eve, but there'll be no sanding until Indy has gone. She's still sat on my bench and I don't want to get that dusty!

IMG_0430.jpg

what a great start to another fantastic build