Skipjack by michael mott - 1/8th scale - SMALL - 19 foot open launch

Yes,  I like the new lines.  I've always thought a 1:4 ratio is the fattest any boat should be.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy with an old project (all will unfold in due course) so it was good to get back to Skipjack today.

I received a number of photographs today and some dimensions for Skipjack from Roger.

I will be asking permission to post some of the pictures that I have received.

Skipjack/floss Part 6

Based on the new information I have prepared a new drawing , the most significant detail change is that the skeg was removed from Skipjack a long time ago.

The overall length is 18 foot 6 inches, not 19 foot as was written in the article. The foredeck is 37 inches long and the stern deck is 27 inches long beam is 55 1/2 inches

here is the new drawing based on the new data

post-202-0-05349600-1388815897_thumb.jpg

I have also renamed the thread Skipjack.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

She has sweet lines, I understand why you want to build her.  She’ll make a fine model.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Michael,

I just had a chance to look over your new project. I'll be watching this one.

Like others, I am very impressed by your building jig. I look forward to seeing how it works for you.

That must have been very scary when the mill broke. A timely reminder of wearing eye protection at all times.

I will be curious to hear more about your wood bending. Are you getting spring-back? and if so, how are you compensating for that when setting up the bending jigs?

Best wishes for the new year,

Mark

• 4 months later...

A small update

Skipjack/Floss part 7

I have received some updated information from Roger this past month I got new dimensions of some critical areas and have been refining the plans which are getting much closer. Roger also sent some great pictures of details and information regarding the sizes of ribs and floor timbers and the way the stem and stern are built.

The stem was originally cast aluminum and was more upright than it is currently. The stem was modified after 1912 and a wooden one replaced the original and at a softer angle to the water. This pre 1912 photo shows the original stem

post-202-0-74597800-1399232953_thumb.jpg

This next picture shows some restoration work that was done in 1987 showing some of the new floor timbers. and the ceiling boards.

post-202-0-05495900-1399233115_thumb.jpg

this is the current itteration of the plans given the new data.

Michael

post-202-0-35619000-1399232954_thumb.jpg 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Hi Michael, looks like you did your homework. and the drawing looks goog its great to have those photos as well.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I like your new drawings.  Yes, pictures sure help.

Bob

• 1 month later...

I realized that I had not included the half hull model that I had made for this model when I referred to this thread from the Maria theread so here it is .

post-202-0-44632200-1402173165_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-79917800-1402173124_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-09669000-1402173246_thumb.jpg

I will be making a new half hull based on the latest information from Roger.

Michael

Hi Michael, Can't wait to see the new half hull with the new info, will you show a side by side comparison ?

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

will you show a side by side comparison

Hi Pete yes I will be doing that. And thanks to all who posted likes, it is very encouraging.

Michael

Michael, I am looking forward to it

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

• 4 weeks later...

Skipjack/Floss part 8

While I was in Edmonton today picking up supplies for the library event on Friday in the village I happened to be next door to the hardwood store..... well I couldn't resist having a look... Dangerous, very dangerous thing to do

post-202-0-96676600-1404349066_thumb.jpg

This piece of Castello Boxwood fell out of the rack right in front of me.... so I had to pick it up and of course once it was in my hands I couldn't put it down... so I had to take it to the counter, (3.7board feet) where they relieved me of a bit of cash... Shhhhhhh

post-202-0-05343100-1404349069_thumb.jpg

The wood for the launch is now in hand, it will be fun working with a new wood that i have not used in the past.

September will be here soon enough.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

"... fell out of the rack right in front of me...."  That sounds like the line I use.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

just fantastic!

I wish I had a bigger workshop I have a 10'square shed with plenty bits of machinery but its always a big fight moving this saw so I can use the bandsaw  which is a put of to start with, my wife says take a bed a kettle she would never see me, just wish it was bigger, most of the time I am on the kitchen table under fire!,

I love the open work boats of men o war and the fishing boats from all around the coastline so I will be watching this build closely for any good ideas I can pick up,

mick

• 2 months later...

I have been slowly working on the drawing for the construction of Skipjack and now I have got the moulds drawn for assembling into the building jig.

post-202-0-39336900-1411453103_thumb.jpg

Next task will be to cut out the moulds and the keel and then add the stringers ready for the steam bent frames.

Once the frames are formed I will then begin the planking.in Castello boxwood.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

You just can't do one at a time can you, Michael.

John you know that I am not the only one afflicted with this condition.

Steve,  thanks this one will be a challenge for sure.

Michael

Now we’ll get to see how your building jig really works.  Have you hired Mini Me for the job?

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

A nice new challenge. I'll pop in from time to time.

You are such a lucky fellow, such a lovely piece of wood just drops in your hands at a time you most need it ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Bob, Tom, Carl, thanks for stopping by, and to those who are watching from the sidelines.

I realized the lines drawing in the building jig was the wrong scale it was 1:10 instead of 1:8 which made a pretty big difference so I have been reworking the drawing in my spare time, also a little tweaking of the hull profiles and planking layout and keel sections.

this is the progress so far on the changes

post-202-0-56381600-1412604578_thumb.jpg

october 6 body profiles.pdf

Michael

After resizing the drawings I needed to modify the building jig, thinking about the sequence of construction I eliminated the keel support for the moment. The white rails were too short so a new pair were drilled.

I had a scrap of Brazilian Rosewood which was just big enough for the new frame end bars. Some wood inserts were driven into the long tubes before the holes were drilled the frame is now quite rigid.

post-202-0-82722600-1413004455_thumb.jpg

I have cut the first three new molds for the ribbands and mounted them on the aluminum cross beams.

The molds were cut from 1/4 MDF and are set aft of the station lines, the last two will be set forward of the station Lines.

The molds will not be faired, this why they are placed the way they are.

post-202-0-08965500-1413004543_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-18790600-1413004545_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-14979900-1413004546_thumb.jpg

the next pic shows the frame reversed on the build posts. you can see that they are not yet perfectly centered I will do this when all 5 molds are set on the cross beams before adding the keel. I am much happier with the building frame.

post-202-0-13002800-1413004547_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49606700-1413004549_thumb.jpg

I remembered that I had built and stored away a small Dremel routing/sanding table which was fabricated out of 1/4 inch thick black plexiglass.  I used this table a lot when building Architectural models, I set it up for working on the molds along with some curved shaped sanding sticks.

post-202-0-12835800-1413004551_thumb.jpg

Michael

Hello Michael

could you say a bit more about the way you propose to use ribbands in the construction (how many per side, & is there any special issues with the setout)? I am still deciding myself on a method & this would help, as the scale, size & appearance are similar enough to my future project to be really useful. Are you doing it this way so that the ribs can rotate with the planking line rather than just all 90 degrees to the keel line?

thanks in advance

MP

Good evening Mark, my thoughts are to add at least 8 or 10 ribands to each side evenly spaced. My understanding is that the ribs on the full size are 3/4 by 1/2 inch. In rereading Roger's notes there is a plate on top of the keel that is 4 inches by 3/4 inches and tapers toward the bow and stern. this plate forms the upper side of the bearding line for the planking and gives a greater area to attach the garboard strake.

I am going to make the keel, keel plate, stem and sternpost out of the Castello Boxwood. I need to make the ribands strong enough to not deform when I set in the frames. something that has crossed my mind is to use some thread to hold the frames (ribs) to the ribbands while they set. The fir test frames were pretty flexible, however I am also going to test the Castello for the frames as well, they will be 3/32 x 1/16th full size on the model.

I am planning on following the curve at the extreme ends of the bow and stern this will prevent twisting them too much it is hard to tell a great deal from this picture

post-202-0-67076600-1413249750_thumb.jpg

Evidently the ceiling boards which significantly strengthened the hull, they are 1 1/2 by 3/4 bead and cove.

have to go guests just arrived

Michael

Thank you for the likes.

Earlier today I worked on preparing some of the materials for the building. first I made the decision to use Cedar for the planking, because I don't have any Yellow Cyprus, the piece of Western Red had some very tight grain and the board was big enough to give me 38 boards 32 inches long by 3/4 x 3/64 inches.

post-202-0-63373000-1413263709_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-35443600-1413263711_thumb.jpg

I also cut some of the Castello Boxwood 28 inches long and then cut some 3/4 x 1/4 and some 3/4 x 3/32 inches this will be used for the keel and keel plate, I will use the bandsaw to cut the shorter taller pieces for the stem and stern. I really liked the way the Castello cut on both the bandsaw and the tablesaw. I ended up changing the tablesaw blade from a carbide tipped one to the hollow ground steel finishing blade

post-202-0-72479700-1413263712_thumb.jpg

The Castello is straight off the tablesaw, the Cedar has been sanded because I used the thin carbide ripping blade.

post-202-0-02010200-1413263714_thumb.jpg

Now I need to cut some ribbands, I am leaning towards some tight grained Fir 5/32 x 3/32 32 inches long, I will need to check my stock.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

I love looking at pictures of your shop, Micheal. It makes me feel right at home - power tools crammed into every space and fitted with homemade accessories, benches littered with delicious clutter, lots of sawdust, etc. Isn't it great to be able to walk away at the end of a session and not have to clean up and restore neatness?

Tying frames to the ribbands sounds like a good idea. All the best with the project.

Ed

Thanks for looking in Ed, sometimes I wonder how I get anything done because of the clutter. My wife does yoga ,I do my stretching stepping around over and between stuff which amounts to the same thing.

Today I made a few changes to the way the cross beam are attached to the frame. I thought it better to make it less cluttered by fixing the beams with some 5x40 allan head cap screws rather than the big wooden clamps. The frame will be easy enough to add new locations for further beams down the road on the next boat to use this frame. the present locations are spaced 4 feet apart (6inches). By bolting them it avoids any possible slippage, and helps to increase the overall rigidity.

post-202-0-38673400-1413337669_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-84608600-1413337666_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-64701500-1413337665_thumb.jpg

The new station molds are made from 1/16th inch white plastic that is sold for the sunshine ceilings. It will be easier to tie the ribbands to the thinner sheet. here you can see the first mold with the holes marked before they were drilled for the eight ribbands. the drawing is attached with double sided tape.

here is the mold drawing #1

post-202-0-46518300-1413338292_thumb.jpg

bulkhead 1.pdf

Now to work on the rest, the plastic cuts very nicely with the jewelers saw and require very little clean up.

post-202-0-62239900-1413337664_thumb.jpg

Here is the fine bow on the real boat

post-202-0-24450400-1413337671_thumb.jpg

Additional thanks to all who have added the like option, it is very motivating.

Michael

Michael, never mind "like" I love that last pic, what an elegant and beautiful bow!

I can see why you chose this one and she will be beautiful.

Steve