US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Sjors, sorry to hear you were feeling ill. I hope you have a quick recovery. From your post I can tell your a ways from being 100% again - let me see if I help you...

Augie - Pictures please.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks for the head up Andy  :D  :D  :D  :D

I know what you mean.

It is not the first time that I have this so I know how long it can be.

I wish myself better……..I don't wanna be sick !

Thanks Larry  :D  :D

So Augie…..you have to do what a sick men is asking….pictures  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Pictures of what ........ stained rags and worn out sandpaper ???????

SJORS--  I can't believe that you, who live only a stones' throw from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, have never seen his painting Starry Night.

Here's a link to it for you:

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/starry-night.html

I think he had pneumonia when he painted it.   :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

Thanks for the link.

I never see this picture from him and yes, I was a few times at the front of that museum but went never inside.

I don't like paintings…the same as Rembrandt…..

I lived close by but again, never been inside.

I prefer museums with old ships  :D  :D  :D  :D

OK, you are forgiven.  I prefer museums with ships myself :)

Now, considering you are probably delirious but continue to ask for photos, here's the latest:

post-56-0-10456800-1376763183_thumb.jpg

Here, all the component parts have been sanded (220/320/400) until my right arm is double the original size.  The pieces have been pre-stained and now begin to look like red oak. 

The next step will be applying the diluted light oak stain followed by a few coats of poly.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Sjors,

When you're healthy, go to the museums.  Tell yourself you're looking for artwork for your ship.  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I've seen so many museums in my life but not with paintings from someone who's is drunk at the moment they are painting.

And paintings from someone who lives in 1600 is to old for me…….

When they shows the battle of Trafalgar or some thing like that, then it is an other story .

I'll be the first visitor.

Just like the completed gallery at this forum.

Some pieces are real museum pieces !

I can watch it for hours !

Augie,

Thank you very much for the pictures.

It's gonna be art work at the first level !

Hi Augie,

I am glad to hear that you are home, feeling better, and back to work.

I do have a question about the case for your Syren.

The dimensions of my Syren are    32"L x 11 1/4"W x 26"H.

The dimensions of the GM7W are  34"L x 12"W       x 28"H.

The width dimensions are pretty close. Do you have enough clearance for the width of your model?

Rod

I measured everything about 27 times.  Now that the case is here, she fits widthwise with perhaps 3/8" to spare on each side.  Yes, it's tight and I had originally ordered the 36" case  (which has a 14" width).......but that case wouldn't fit where I needed it to go so it will be used for Confederacy (suitably shortened in height).

Progress report -   The sanding, staining and poly operations have been completed.  Not worth a photo but I will get some as I assemble the case and get the final measurements to get the glass cut.  No margin for error there :(

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

Just catching up, congratulations on finishing your Syren, Sir, she's a masterpiece! :champagne:  :champagne:  :champagne:

That looks to be the start for a very elegant looking display case too, a perfect match for an equally elegant ship  :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you Aldo.  Nice hearing from you, as always.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Shot a quick photo of the completed case as it currently stands.  As mentioned, all the finishing is complete and she's ready for final assembly.  Syren's baseboard is screwed to the case base and she's very secure.

The glass has been ordered.  Took one of the slotted uprights to the glass shop and the 1/8" fits perfectly.  Glad I sanded out the grooves just a tad before finishing!

post-56-0-29024400-1377101959_thumb.jpg

One final going over to make sure everything is clean and in Bristol fashion.  Once the glass arrives we'll take that perilous voyage up the stairs to her final resting place.  Don't laugh but I blew this 'transfer cruise' once back in '78 so I'm in no hurry to embark  :wacko: .

Oh......getting the ME case to this point took only about 12 hours.  It is definitely sturdy and I like the way it came out.  Considering I'm not a power tool guy, the investment was well worth it ---- especially if you catch one on sale.

Be back with the final installment when the glass comes in.  For the first time in 21 months, I have nothing to do!!!!!  This is intolerable.  I have set up my lawn chair out by the mailbox and shall anxiously await the arrival of CONFEDERACY.

Everyone take care, stay well and enjoy what remains of the summer.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, the case finish looks very good. Are you using standard glass? Someone mentioned to me if I use glass I may want to consider plexiglass or lexan for the top piece due to damage the glass would cause to the ship in the event of breakage. I ended up using plexiglass for all five pieces which turned out to be very flimsy and difficult to install. I'll try another material the next time. I asked about shatterproof glass but was told it would some show some distortion.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry -  yes, standard glass that will be removable if I need to move her.  Have to take my chances on breakage, but that's true of many items around here including antique scales and clocks.  What I don't need is an earthquake - but that's been a while out here :)

I previously mentioned my dislike of plexiglass, including lexan.  Too vulnerable to scratches in my estimation based on my long experience in an industrial environment.  I guess I'm just stubborn  .... the fact that my eyeglasses are glass attest to that :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thank you John.  I'll never attain your level of craftsmanship or attention to detail.  But I can keep trying.

Nice to have you back on that beautiful cutter ---- Stag.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The case is looking grand, Augie. As for the "cruise"... maybe pre-assemble downstairs, take upstairs and final assemble?   The thing will be a beast to carry.

As for waiting by the mailbox, maybe we'll join you...  a few resfreshments, maybe?  post-76-0-97829500-1377146776.gif :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hey Augie.......if yers bored.....yas kin come over ta my house an' play with one o' mine.......plenty o' beer in da fridge  :) :) :)

looks superb Augie.....she's gonna look great in the new case  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Really coming together.  Great work.  That does sound like a tight fit.  To much tighter and you'd be stepping into my part of the dark side and find yourself putting hinges at the base of the mast.   ;)   Really though I think the tight fit will do her good.  Makes it easier to get an up close look through the glass.  

The case is looking grand, Augie. As for the "cruise"... maybe pre-assemble downstairs, take upstairs and final assemble?   The thing will be a beast to carry.

As for waiting by the mailbox, maybe we'll join you...  a few resfreshments, maybe?  attachicon.gifm1242.gif :cheers:

You must be a mindreader Mark.  I've already recquisitioned the dining room table for final assembly and was hoping Sjors will be recovered for popcorn duties.  It'll be a big day around here and all are invited :)  :) .

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

black tie........or hawiian shirt?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Please say Hawaiian...please say Hawaiian..... 

I will await the festivities, 6 pack in the fridge, passing out the party poppers etc......

Can't wait to see her in the final position, don't get sunburn waiting by the mailbox for Confederacy!

Ben

Hawaiian shirts are fine.  I gave up black tie when I left the East Coast.  Formal wear is too easily tangled in blueberry bushes.

OK, picked up the glass and got it home all in one piece ----- well, 5 pieces actually.

AND ----  Confederacy hit the porch today :)  :) .

So I'll be back in business tomorrow.  Besides, I don't want to start anything without Sjors back on board.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976