US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

MODEL EXPO CASE

As a few folks have asked about the cases supplied by ME, I'll provide a few impressions and photos as I go through the build.

The case I'm using is their model  GM7W.  It is a tight fit for Syren but just makes it into the display cabinet I have available.  I was concerned about the inside dimensions but they checked out exactly as advertised so I'm home free.

The case comes shipped in an honest to goodness crate and weighed in at just over 17 pounds:

post-56-0-03961000-1376586048_thumb.jpg

That's a standard yardstick on top  --- the case has an id of 33" and an od of 36"

The wood is red oak.  It's fairly well sanded but will need some final sanding before staining.  Here's what's in the box:

post-56-0-35425500-1376586257_thumb.jpg

They provide 5 uprights so you have one extra.  Everything is slotted for 1/8" glass (not included).  The hardware package looks adequate.

Going to be a few days before I get to sanding everything smooth and I need to carry out some trial staining/finishing and see what's available locally out here as far as glass is concerned. I'll post an update when I have some progress.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

I purchased a case from model expo for my Washburn tug. Other than size it looked just like yours on delivery. The only thing I would do different is make sure the slots are open enough to allow for how ever,any coats of wipe on poly or whatever you plan on using (I usedthreecoats). I used 1/8" plexiglass and the slot fit was very tight to a point of being a pia at some locations.

Overalls I thought the case was a great deal for the price.

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Glad to hear you were pleased with yours Larry.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie, 

Do you have for me a seat on the other side of the room?

Larry wants the joy of sitting next to Anja and I know when I'm not welcome…... :P  :P  :P  :P

The case looks good.

It's almost a build of his own.

So enjoy me again !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Augie, glad to see you got your case, and have ordered your Confederacy. The case looks nice, I'll be following this when I can. Currently in Indianapolis fixing to see an old Navy buddy that I haven't seen in about 15 years. Pictures to follow Sjors! Glad the hospital was brief or was that you 'in your briefs"?????? I forget, .....they don't even let you wear your tighty whities!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Augie, 

Do you have for me a seat on the other side of the room?

Larry wants the joy of sitting next to Anja and I know when I'm not welcome…... :P  :P  :P  :P

Awwww come on Sjors, you know I'm kidding :D  :D  :D . A friend of mine from long ago told me "what are friends for if you cannot nail them to the wall every once in a while." 

Here's to you my friend  :cheers:

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Ok.. the case and Confederacy.. well done!!  <and the crowd does the wave in Augie's honor> post-76-0-25763000-1376597861.gif   Time to grab the chair and the popcorn. post-76-0-62783300-1376597861.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry to hear you had a stint in the hospital, but glad to hear it wasn't too serious!

I'll pull up a chair for the Confederacy build as well, but will watch the Syren case take shape first. :)

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hey, is there still room in the front row for the Confed build? I'm in!!!

Glad to hear the case arrived and you're happy with it Augie.

good to see you got your case Augie......glad to hear your OK ,  and I didn't miss the opening of the box.  

a thief was caught.....drunk as a skunk,  after stealing a case of whiskey from the local liquor store

when it went to trial,  the judge looked over the evidence,  and threw the case out

when asked why he made such a ruling,  he said,

"it's quite simple.........you can't make a case out of eleven bottles."

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Welcome aboard Grant, we'll make room for you. Maybe Augie should consider making a little extra on the side with an entrance fee... :D  :D :D  :D  

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wow ---- everyone is on my case :D  :D

I think for Confed we'll have a theater-in-the-round so everyone has a front seat

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie stay away from hospitals you can get seriously ill there :huh:

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Awwww come on Sjors, you know I'm kidding :D  :D  :D . A friend of mine from long ago told me "what are friends for if you cannot nail them to the wall every once in a while." 

Here's to you my friend  :cheers:

That's why I put those smileye's in…..

It doesn't matter that you are kidding with me, I can handle it !

Hi Augie!

what a series of news. Glad to hear that nothing serious happened you, but ... did you go to the hospital before or after the order of the Confederacy? I hope the Confed's price haven't been the cause of the ill :piratetongueor4:

Cheers Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

Thanks, Alex. 

The latest ME sale has them practically giving her away.  Plus they are throwing in a 15 bottle set of paints ---- free!  Don't know that I'll use most of them but you can't beat the offer.  And, if I use Ben's patented 20 coat method, they may work out.

Update -----

Staining trials completed and I have the Admiral's approval to go with a 60% Light Oak Minwax stain for the case.  It matches the furniture (if one accounts for future aging of the finish, failing eyesight and the phases of the moon).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

May I make a suggestion?  m0747.gif

The case looks very nice and clean.

A case without wooden columns at the four corners, with only four pieces of glass joined at the corners, may be seen more spacious and wide (?)...  m0927.gif

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

it has been a good business, then!

It's not easy to match wood colours using staining products. I still remember the swearwords of my uncle, carpenter, when customers asked him to do that (... and, I ensure you, the Italian language can be really very creative, in formulating swearwords....) . Congratulations

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

post-612-0-64044400-1376669039.jpeg

hey, Augie........I had one more and this looked like a good place for a finish line  :) 

gee,  if I had the extra cash........I'd get me one too!   I have plenty of paints,  but it would be interesting to see what type they carry.   are there any crime scene photos since you got on the case?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That's why I put those smileye's in…..

It doesn't matter that you are kidding with me, I can handle it !

I knew you did my friend. My guilty conscience made me write that... :)

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Look'n forward to your assembling the case, it looks like it's a quality kit, something I might be interested in also, I don't think my Supply is bigger than The Syren, if you find it suitable for yours after you finish, it might be my next purchas. Good choice on the Confed. that'll keep you busy for awhile :D

Frank

P.S. hope you're feeling better.

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Good to hear from everyone.  Yes, matching stained wood can be a 'challenge'.  I tell the Admiral it will all look the same in 100 years :D

Thanks for the suggestion Ferit but I'll stick with the wooden corners.  I like the framing effect more than the modern look.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

What is this I'm off the forums for a week and you end up going to the hospital?!  Take it from some one who does the accounting side of that business your better off staying in a nice resort.  Less money and better food.   ;)

Glad to hear your ok.  Also it's good to see the case is in.  I'm excited to see what comes next.  

Hi Augie,

Glad your feeling better mate and getting back in the seat again.

I wont hog a seat on the Confed but I would love to drop in now and again if you don't mind, just to make sure that Sjores is behaving himself and not throwing popcorn about. ^_^  ^_^

Take care of yourself.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I think Mobbsie is getting old….

He even can not spell my name correctly .

Or is it because I was not at the forum for one day?

Are you all ready started on the case Augie?

And when are you receiving the Confed?

I see that there is also paint with it?????

Then you have make a good deal !

When I ordered the paint for the SI it cost me about 5 US dollar each bottle…...

I see your sharp wit is returning Sjors so you must be feeling better.  It's tough to keep we Commodores down.  I suspect Mobbsie's loss of memory is the result of being tangled in the hammock nettings on his Aggie for an extended period.

Yes, paints are expensive.  This set has a list price of $74 for 15 bottles!  But then, did Van Gogh complain about the price of the paint once he finished 'Starry Night'?  Oh wait, he was Dutch, wasn't he ?? :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

Yes I'm feeling a lot better.

No fever today ! ( I hope it stays this way.)

Only very quick tired but that's normal…...

And yes Vincent van Gogh is Dutch…….silly question maybe but "Starry Night " ?

What's that?

Only very quick tired but that's normal…...

I probably had a bad case since I ended up in hospital for a week......... it took me over 6 months before I could maintain any level of strenuous activity for any period of time without gasping for breath in a fit of coughing.

Hang in there, I'm pullin' for ya' ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy