Which is the best Victory?

Keith_W

well the 1/72 caldercraft certainly isn't cheap - challenging maybe - but you will get the support from here on what ever your choice is

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Why not try another ship and wait for the Amati Victory if that is your desire?

Perhaps the Agamemnon (also in 1:64)?

You know, your suggestion makes  a lot of sense. I have looked over Chris Watton's thread in great detail, and I think it is worth waiting for. IF the production Amati is anywhere near as good as the prototype, this really will be the ultimate Victory. Her size is impressive, the attention to detail is impressive - down to Chris changing the number of balustrades on the prototype when someone noted that all Victory kits are incorrect, including his. 

I even like your suggestion for the Agamemnon. It will be good to build up my skills before attempting the Victory. Owning a Victory has been my dream ever since I saw the original in Portsmouth as a kid. In fact, it was all the wooden models in the museum that fired up my interest in modelling. Waiting another 12 months won't do me any harm. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

What is it about the VICTORY i also cant wait to build one but keep puting it of with the excuse that my skills arnt good enough yet. its as if its the ultimate kit build and once finished anything that follows will be somehow less satisfing .gee this sounds deep ;) .I just hope once i do finally build one i dont take up fishing instead :huh:

What is it about the VICTORY i also cant wait to build one but keep puting it of with the excuse that my skills arnt good enough yet. its as if its the ultimate kit build and once finished anything that follows will be somehow less satisfing .gee this sounds deep ;) .I just hope once i do finally build one i dont take up fishing instead :huh:

I think it's just Nature's way of telling you to wait for the Amati/Chris Watton version to be released! ;):P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellows 

I have been reading this post about which is the best Victory kit and I can see why the caldercraftjotika Victory would be best kit 

but for now I wouldn't  be able to even come close to even buying it, It.s far to pricey for me  now I would have to make a loan to buy it :)  LOL,  So anyway  I would like to know which kit would be the second best 

would it be either Mamoli Victory kit, the Mantura/panart Victory  and what about Latina would that be a good Victory Kit has anyone built a  Latina Victory kit 

Thank you 

Ronald 

Edited by ronald305

There is also a Corel kit in 1/98. Sorry I am not familiar with the other kits.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ronald,

Do a search on Victory in Kit Logs. I get 20 build logs including one by AL and one by Billings.   It would probably be a good idea to check them out also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mamoli Victory kit is quite different to some of the other ones on the market.

The gun ports are metal and have a notch in the back for the false guns. If you master the technique of attaching them and take the time to get a nice level guideline for their positions (the notches in the bulkheads are usually wrong in practice) then they can be a lot of fun and produce a nice result.

Mamoli doesn't supply photo-etched super high detailed parts so if you want those then you will have to scratch them yourself, but it is 1:90 scale anyway so if you don't mind that isn't an issue.

The only laser cut parts for the Mamoli Victory are the false keel parts, the bulkheads, the false decks and a few shaping pieces for the stern, bow and quarter galleries. A lot of things will have to be scratch build with the material supplied. If you take the time and enjoy that then it will be a fun build, otherwise it could be something of a nightmare.

The size of the Mamoli kit is perfect, big enough for detailing but not too big so as the take up a lot of room.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

I am currently building the Mamoli Constitution. I do not have a great deal of experience and am learning a great deal as I go through the build. What demonborger said is very true. I would add that the instructions are pretty meager compared to those of the MS version. There are many cast parts, however there are also many that must be built from scratch. 

The woods used in the Constitution kit are such that should you choose, you could leave the wood the natural color. I chose to paint it to be more in line with the historic ship colors.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

guess what !! i just ordered the BILLINGS Victory .At £286 im thinking even if i have to replace some materials i still have a lot of boat for the money  it will probably be a month or so before i start building and i hope to start a build log  .i cant comment on the quality as i havent seen it yet but ill keep you posted. Intend experimenting with some different woods so when i get going ill be B) open to all suggestions and opinions  

• 3 months later...

I've been looking at some of the newer versions like Constructo, Mamoli and some of the others. I've been out of ship modeling for about 7-8 years and getting the itch to do one last model before I get too old to see the riggin lines. I'm looking for a grand project. 

I have built around 20 models in the past 15 or so years and have sold most all of them. But this next project will more than likely be donated to a library or something similar if nothing more than a remebrance of me.

So any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

look at page 4   Which is the best Victory  ,same topic debated ,not sure what the conclusion is  . Im building the Billings version myself its a very basic model but for someone of your experience should be no problem if you fancy plenty of kit bashing  .Bought for less than £300 so less than half the price of cc .

I love Constructo kits especially for kit bashing. They have great materials, but the instructions SUCK. I always go strictly by the plans and throw the instructions away, they will get you in trouble. Also sometimes their accuracy can be a little off so if your a purist or perfectionist Constructo kits may not be  for that type of a person. But I rather like them and was glad to see them come out with a Victory kit.  

Caldercraft.

It is one of the bigger kits, with the best instructions, good materials, good design, great fittings.

There are also a lot of Caldercraft HMS Victory build logs out there.

I have the Mamoli kit, it is nice but the instructions won't be a help and the materials aren't quite as good.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

I agree with Demonburger,as the market stands now i.e. with Amati's new version not on sale,the enphatic answer has to be Caldercraft.This gives the most accurate version out of the box with pretty decent instructions.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Although im building the billings version i think i to would recommend the caldercraft Victory . More expensive ,yes , but i have spent a fair bit on extras and if you want copper plates they aren,t supplied from billings.  I don,t know much about the other makers but from the build logs on here the cc kit straight from the box seems a great build . good luck in your decision 

Caldercraft by far.

Expensive, but well worth it. Instructions are just so-so, but the plans are very good.

Kit wood is decent and all pieces are machine routed, not laser cut. Extensive Photo-etch brass and pewter castings are excellent.

This is NOT a kit for everyone; being an experienced builder is mandatory.

Hope this helps all who may be looking in on selecting a Victory kit.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

• 2 weeks later...

Ageed on Caldercraft.

But remember it is a lot of money compared to others, but worth it IMHO

My workrate is slow due to limited free time, but working it out I come to about 30p and hour.

Not many hobbys can be had for that sort of cost.

So my opinion is always invest whatever it takes for the best, hence my Caldercraft opinion.

Nick

Ageed on Caldercraft.

But remember it is a lot of money compared to others, but worth it IMHO

My workrate is slow due to limited free time, but working it out I come to about 30p and hour.

Not many hobbys can be had for that sort of cost.

So my opinion is always invest whatever it takes for the best, hence my Caldercraft opinion.

Nick

I have to keep reminding my wife that I have partners who belong to country clubs and golf 3-4 times a week. We even have someone dropping 1000$ a weekend on tires to race a car.

In dollar per hour spent, modeling has a minuscule price and the value is incomparable.

One day I may build a Victory but not sure how to get it up the stairs afterwards (workshop is large but stairs to rest of house small) Interested in the Amati/Watton version.

In dollar per hour spent, modeling has a minuscule price and the value is incomparable.

Absolutely. It's cheaper than going to the movies.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 1 month later...

I purchased the Corel 'Victory' many years ago. The quality of components was very good, in my opinion. But the instructions were atrocious! Being only my third build ( I bit of a little more than I could chew!!) I would not recommend this kit unless you were very experienced - unless the quality of instructions has improved! I eventually finished it (nearly 15 years after purchase!)

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I am 958 hours into my build, the original cost has doubled due to books paints rope walks and line servers, considering i am possibly 1/3 into the build this so far works out to £1.46 per hour - $2.5  about the price of a pint of milk and a loaf of bread, -

the caldercraft always to me seamed the best option with the kits that are on the market, she will be finished and the cost will be virtually next to nothing per hour 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

The HMS Victory has been on my bucket list for years. I think I have finally accumulated enough skills to attempt it. The question is - which kit version is the best? By this I mean - which has the best fittings, the best instructions, the most historically accurate, and the one which will come together with the least amount of pain? 

The last time I looked, there were HMS Victory kits from: 

- Caldercraft / Jotika

- Mamoli

- Corel

- Artesania Latina

- Billings

I am leaning towards the Caldercraft version - I have seen many build logs on MSW, I have downloaded the instructions, and the company does seem to be very supportive. 

Any opinions? 

(I did a search for Victory and there were 6 pages of results. I looked through every page, and have read at least a dozen build logs!)

Do you know which link has the instruction manuals of Artesania Latina 1/84 HMS Victory model ?

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy Mates :D

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Corel kit. I purchased it and although currently it is way over my head I can not complain. 

Yes it is an older kit. Yes the instructions are from Uranus, but it comes with some of the best wood I have seen in any kit> well less the rear transom and some of the trim which is a hokey pressed something or other. But these can be replaced or remade. 

Considering I paid almost a thousand dollars less then the Caldercraft for my kit on sale @ Model Expo I think it deserves a mention here as best for the buck.

Pictures of some completed kits  

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/image/3236-1-small/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/image/2107-victory2/

My review 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf