Echo by Maury S - FINISHED - Cross-Section

Great work Maury, makes me wish I had bought the kit when I was in better shape.  Maybe down the road so I will be watching and learning from your log.  Remember enjoy yourself and have fun.

David B

The axle construction is in the next installment, so I'm finishing off the wood details on the pumps, stanchions  etc.  Nothing will be glued to the model since lining up the axles thru the rhodings, etc. will be critical.  I don't want to get ahead of David and Greg because it will inevitably lead to me taking something apart.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time to do some metal work.  The rhodings are bearings that support the chain pump axle.  You can't install the cisterns 'til you line up the axle between the bitts and the top of the cistern.

I started by lining up the 1/16" tubing on top of a 1/32 x 1/8 strip of brass.  I silver-soldered the pieces together for about 2".  I then used regular solder to fill in the gap and create a single piece.  The regular solder is much softer and melts quickly (way too much solder went on).  I had a lot of filing to do to bring it into shape.  Once I was happy with the cross-section shape, I cut off 1/32" slices to make the rhodings.  A 1/32" brass rod (axle) fits into the tubing.  A really good learning exercise with soldering.  I blackened them (1:8 dilute Blacken-It), but they came out pinkish, not black.  Maybe the apple cider vinegar I used to prep them.  Anyone have this experience?   I'll re-try with white vinegar and see what happens.

Maury

post-923-0-20408800-1424189458_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-88023000-1424189722_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-67180500-1424189744_thumb.jpg

The problem is most likely the soft solder.  I believe Stay Brite will blacken.  Most soft solder will not.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks Toni,  The pieces were totally covered with a "silver" soft solder before I filed it down.  That's most likely the problem.

Maury

Maury,

I've had success blackening soldered pieces using Birchwood Casy Brass Black. I normally use the silver bearing solder paste, which I believe is what you have used here?

• 3 months later...

In real life, the spaces between the frames would have been filled-in.   Those pieces are not included in the plans provided.

Maury

• 3 months later...

Hi Maury,

Just found this build log - good work so far :) .

It makes me all the more inspired to do a similar cross-section, but of "Vulture" rather than an Echo. It'll be a nice companion for my full model :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Danny.  It sure has been a big help in advancing my skill level (as following your Vulture log).  Looking back, the greatest challenge so far was getting the elm pumps installed since my locker was a bit too narrow to allow a straight run.  Measure 3 times....  A few adjustments to the plans along the way (I got too far ahead of the instructions) required some minor revisions but I think all that is straightened out.  Next for me will be aligning the axles for the chain pumps...getting the rhodings set properly on the bits.  As for Druxey's comment, I'm 2 1/2 years into the project...seems longer than your Vulture build.

Maury

That's exactly what I did, Danny. I constructed a cross-section of my Swan class Pegasus model. It was a lot of fun and actually fits on a shelf above my desk.

post-505-0-01668100-1440345570_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-58108600-1440345573_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Maury,

Thanks for dropping in to my Vulture log from time to time :) .

I'm 2 1/2 years into the project...seems longer than your Vulture build.

Vulture took me a week under 4 years to build. I'm guessing that some of the "delay" in your build has been in waiting for further developments from Greg and Druxey? :D I suppose that's one of the "hazards" of doing a Group Build :D .

To give you a "kick start" on the next step, and maybe a tip or two in their construction, here are the posts where I build the Pump Brakes on Vulture, to save you the trouble of finding them in my log. I'd say they would be similar to the Echo.

Greg - lovely cross-section, that's almost exactly what I had in mind  :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

• 2 weeks later...

Toni Levine inspired me to take on the pump cranks (I've been putting this part off for months while I did some work on the Cutter Cheerful).  The axle is 1/32" brass rod, the side parts are 1/64 x 3/32" strips that I filed down after drilling out the evenly spaced (10/32") holes for the axle.  I drilled them a bit under-sized and reamed them to fit in case there was any wobble in the drill bit.  The outer parts were silver soldered first, then the rhodings inserted on the center (see black parts in pic.) and then the two parts soldered together.  Cleaned up with a file and ready to blacken and mount on the bitts.  The outer ends excess will be cut off when installed.  Thanks again to Toni for illustrating how she did hers.  My soldering is getting better, but coffee in the AM is a detriment to steady hands.

Maury

post-923-0-88282200-1441553440_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-05510200-1441553451_thumb.jpg

Looks great Maury.  Gosh, it's been awhile since I inspired anyone!

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Thanks for the comments and likes. All blackened and in place.  I guess I'll have to make the other one now.  (Toni, don't kid yourself, your work has inspired a lot of us!)

Maury

post-923-0-81921200-1441567649_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work Maury.  The details in that photo are wonderful.

Toni, you inspire more of us than you'll ever know.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Both cranks are done.  One works, the other is hung up on one of the bitts. 

Maury

post-923-0-27405900-1441654923_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-82291100-1441654933_thumb.jpg

Ouch on the hanging one.   Can it be solved with an adjustment?  They still look great.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Anyone who would try and turn the crank ought to have their hand severely slapped.  Maury, looks great.

Toni

Toni's right. Just position them inboard (like Toni did) and no one will ever know there's a clearance issue. Are you retrofitting the cistern rhodings? I see you have the surfaces shaped to receive them.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,  OOPS!  I'll work on the rhodings...I was wondering why I made so many extras!

Maury

Yeah Druxey, But how do I get them on?  If I took the axle off, I still could not get the rhodings around the bends...so I'd have to take the axle apart.  I think I have to make new ones in pieces that can be set in place.

Maury

You could mill a veritcal slit from the bottom of the rhoding  to just even with the top of the axeltrees. Once you've slid the rhoding down into place the remaining slit opening should be almost inperceptible. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Some rhodings were open above, allowing one to slip the axletree down into it. Obviously this won't work on the cistern ones, but Greg's solution should do the trick. I guess it's a case of festina lente - make haste slowly!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Greg,

I was thinking of building up some rhodings from paper, but I like your suggestion much better.  Maybe just a hacksaw to cut thru the bottom will be wide enough.  I'm not sure my smallest mill bits are small enough.

Maury

Or perhaps one of those very thin blades you can get for a Dremel etc - they are only 0.14mm (0.005") thick.

Thin Saw Blade.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny