Charles W Morgan by Brucealanevans - FINISHED - Model Shipways

So I've started on a Charles W Morgan build, although somewhat intimidated by the speed and or quality of the currently documented construction projects for this ship.

This model is a stretch for me, given the amount of scratch building involved and the somewhat cryptic instructions of this older MS kit.

I got interested after building the New Bedford Whaleboat, and added this kit to my "to do" stack. Having finished Picket Boat #1 to my satisfaction, decided to defer the Phildelphia Gunboat and take on a more complicated project.

I'm not retired (yet) and have many professional demands on my time, so I end up working in fits and starts and when I need the "therapy".

I decided to go ahead and build the hull superstructure before planking to allow better access for clamps for the waterway, planksheer, rail and topgallant structure. That's where I am now (pictures below). The rail structure is a bit wavy viewed end on on one side, but overall I'm relatively pleased within the envelope of my skillset. I had a few disasters in terms of inadvertant breakage of thin pieces (mainly the main rail) after installation by a misplaced hand while working on another part, but managed to overcome that adequately. I still have to do some sanding on the main rail as the strip I used was a bit wider than the rail is supposed to be - that is evident in the pictures where the rail meets the laser-cut curved rail piece forwards.

Next I'll plank between the planksheer and the mail rail to reinforce that area, and then likely add the wale and plank between the planksheer and the top of the wale.

Then I'll go on to bands A-D

The build logs and galleries on this and other sites have been a great aid.

Bruce

post-252-0-02739600-1389800464_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-36197000-1389800464_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-65485200-1389800464_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-01930900-1389800465_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-35553100-1389800465_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-68310100-1389800465_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruce

That's a very nice neat start to your build - bit like your shipyard. Best of luck with the build which I will follow with interest.

I do not have a keel clamp and would be interested to hear your comments on how practical it is when planking starts.

Regards

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)

Glyn:

I've had it upside down for some bulkhead faring. I also needed to know it would work in that position before building the hull superstructure since otherwise the top of the hull would have to rest directly on the working surface for planking and those structures would't last 2 minutes.

In this keel clamp the clamps can turn 90 degrees, so as long as there is space between the bulkheads and the midline structure (keelboard in this case) comes up to or near deck level the model can be securely clamped in the upside down position for planking.

I have fastened it to the work surface with 4 screws so it's rock solid, but can be rotated to almost any position and then locked securely.

This keel clamp is one of the most indespensible pieces of equipment I have! 4 stars.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Well, it's been awhile.

Had an unfortunate accident in the shipyard (misplaced high velocity elbow) and crunched all the stanchions on one side, along with the rails and planksheer.

Put the mess aside for a while until replacement parts and patience returned.

I have now repaired the damage and planked the works above the first wale to give everything more rigidity.

Now ready to start the hull planking bands.

It looks OK - some variation in fit. I'm always hoping the next build will be perfect. Not yet.

post-252-0-27940400-1396564455.jpg

post-252-0-53506500-1396564465.jpg

post-252-0-65527900-1396564474.jpg

post-252-0-68287800-1396564484.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Now on to hull planking

post-252-0-30526300-1396564545.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Had an unfortunate accident in the shipyard (misplaced high velocity elbow) and crunched all the stanchions on one side, along with the rails and planksheer.

I suspect the Morgan had many a brush with  "ice elbows" ^_^

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Looking great Bruce.  I should be starting mine in a month or two.

Are you planning on double planking it?  The instructions say that you can plank it with 0.50mm second planking if I remember correctly.  I think I'm going to go that route, as I'm planning on using dyed pear.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

No, I'm going to paint it so I think I'll just go with the single planking.

Speaking of which, here it is with provisional planking bands marked out with artist's tape.

Still adjusting, then will mark the lines on the bulkheads and remove the pins and tape.

post-252-0-07196200-1396803238.jpg

post-252-0-63272500-1396803238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

• 7 months later...

So I've finally finished the planking and a rough sanding. Some work on filler for cracks, etc. yet to go.

post-252-0-45145500-1415399859.jpg

post-252-0-70212900-1415399869.jpg

post-252-0-49320200-1415399923.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Beautiful work Bruce.  Are you going to add a second layer of planking?  I saw in my Morgan instructions that you can add 0.50mm second plaking if you wish.  Your planking looks pretty close to perfect though. :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I don't plan on double planking. I think I'd only do that if I were planning on staining rather than painting. This is the most complicated planking job I've done and I'm reasonably pleased with it. Only a few spots need filler and none are major - mostly small cracks where two planks didn't snuggle up just right for a short distance. I've gotten pretty handy with the proportional dividers and at spiling and tapering planks. A sanding drum on a Dremel in a fixed stand (I use a drill press attachment) works great to rough trim the planks to measurement lines, with sandpaper finishing to fit. Each plank is a project!

8+ months of intermittent work to get to this point.

Some trouble at the stem and bow because I didn't take enough trouble with the filler blocks - not enough smooth taper leading to bulges. Won't make that mistake again.

Trying to decide whether to paint inside and out before installing deck, after adding the stern fashion piece and trim pieces. I want to use my airbrush and the deck will be left natural and would be hard to mask effectively and accurately.

Still some time before I have to decide.

Hi Bruce, I just found your log. It's good to see another Morgan lover in the group. I've been working on mine since April 2013. I currently am starting the masting and rigging. I have a website on the Morgan model along with lots of photographs of my build, the restoration of the ship, the 38th voyage and how she looks now. I am also a Proxxon tool distributor. You might wish to check it out.

http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

I'll be following along. Feel free to ask questions as I've already been there...lol. The reason I started to website was the marginal instructions in the kit.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Yep, John, I have my eye on your site.

Also, lusting after some of the tools, especially the small Proxxon sander. Will undoubtably be adding to the shipyard at some point soon, as well as a resisitance soldering unit.

All set up with a dedicated shipyard including a tool bench in the lower level, so it's easy to work some, then leave things in place when real life work intrudes until another interval of leisure appears. If I had to take everything down between work sessions I'd never make any progress.

Some time today, so I'll work on some finer finishing of the hull.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a week with little IRL work and wife off on several travels, so I had more time than usual to work on the Morgan.

Here is the current progress.

Decided to paint at this stage since I prefer to use airbrush and since I plan to leave the deck unfinished (except for matt varnish). I didn't want to struggle with masking the deck off perfectly at  a later stage while painting the interior bulwarks. It takes me a while to work up the courage to do the paint job to a good looking unfinished hull ever since I screwed up my first attempt at staining my New Bedford Whaleboat (MS). After that disaster I put it aside as a bad job until my wife urged me to sand it down and try again, which I did with advice from Chuck about progressively finer sanding and diluting the stains. Turned out OK. The airbrush was great for those interior bulwarks with all the stanchions - I didn't want to face that with a paintbrush and multiple coats. Went with the red hull as per the restoration rather than copper just because I prefer the look.

Obviously some things will need to be added (channels, catheads, etc.) but I'd rather touch up later.

Now on the the deck.

Not really totally happy with the white striping - I find it hard to do exactly enough to stand up to close inspections. Looks good from this distance though! The hardest thing is to balance desire to do best work (if not perfect!) and OCD tendencies, which modeling brings out in me.

Working now on the positions of all deck structures that require coamings so I can temporarily install the coamings before beginning the decking.

Will post some larger/closer pictures once the deck is in place.

Who knows when that will be?

Looking at these posts, I see that I've been intermittently puttering away on this for 11 months already.

This is turning into an expensive model - I've used up my holiday equity on a bunch of new equipment for the shipyard. I don't buy stuff till I need it, but my definition of need is a low bar and requires an understanding wife - which thankfully I have in spades.

post-252-0-61529700-1417361934.jpg

post-252-0-65832500-1417361962.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Hi Bruce, looks really nice. The fun really gets started when you start on the deck structures. I can see your new toys in the background. Very nice

John

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

• 2 weeks later...

Begun the deck.

Built the deck structure coamings and base for the skylight and decked around them. Removeable so I can stain them and build the deck structures on them and put them in place later.

post-252-0-11155900-1418232359.jpg

post-252-0-20862600-1418232369.jpg

post-252-0-71478100-1418232374.jpg

post-252-0-58011200-1418232379.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Very nice looking build Bruce,

nows the turn for Fitting out......

Are you going to rig the sails later ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

When I finish the deck I'm going to add everything that installs on /drills through / or protrudes from the hull before I start on the deck structures. So much work to do.

I think, when I get that far, that I'm going to go with furled sails using silkspan.

Looking good Bruce. I thought about furled sails, in fact it could still be an option, just not sure I can make them look real enough. Keep up the good work.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

A bit more time to work the last week than I expected, so I finished laying the deck planking. Still a few raised edges to sand but basically done.

I'm not into treenailing, so I simulated on each plank before gluing by drilling small holes and filling them with slightly contrasting wood filler. I'll not be staining the deck - probably just a matt clear finish.

Now I'm consulting the plans and will be adding features that affect the hull and the inner bulwarks before beginning on the deck structures.

post-252-0-01380200-1418818090_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-47108300-1418818101_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-86172400-1418818109_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bruce Evans

Turning out to be a very clean build.  Nice work and the white stripe looks fine.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Bruce,

Yes,  your build is looking to be an excellent project. Very nice start.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Help needed!

I had a thought regarding the skylight.

Rather than painting the area under the skylight black, I thought I might substitute an image of what is actually under the skylight.

I would create this in a 3D modeling program (I'm pretty good with this program) and position the virtual "camera" to show an image from the point of view of the skylight, and apply this to the base/deck inside of the skylight. It might not show much but would be fun!

I need some information on what exactly is under the skylight (the plans say the compass is located there, but what else and how is it laid out?) - anyone with pictures of the Morgan showing this especially desired.

Can anyone help?

Edited by Bruce Evans

Hi Bruce, looking good, my friend, it's really nice to be able to see someone else doing this ship. As for the skylight, to the best of my recollection, on the aft end near the helm is where the compass is located inside the skylight cover, then the rest of the light is over the Officer's Mess Table. There is nothing else under the skylight. The top and sides of the skylight have glass windows to keep the water out, and are hinged to open up for ventilation. Also more than half of the light is under the Hurricane House roof, and when you put in Mrs's Tempkin's Cabin and the Mizzen Mast you really can't see into the skylight. Something to think about is that you probably can't see through the skylight to see whatever you put there. I'll look in my pictures to see if I have anything showing this. Cool idea. Hope this helps.

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Bruce I found some pictures on my website Gallery, "As She is Now" pages. Here is one showing it empty. The compass was a square box about 18" on all sides with the compass "dome" on top. It sat on the crossmembers inside the skylight. Looking up from the officer's quarters, there are a couple of "racks" (beds) on one side with curtains. Not seen from above. I can't seem to upload that particular picture for you. I took some pictures of my Morgan and you can go to the website to see the ones I referencing. They are down the page under the Len Turner pictures #38 I think (if I counted correctly)Here are acouple of pictures of my model.

John

post-3041-0-92326700-1419006758_thumb.jpg

post-3041-0-52654700-1419006786_thumb.jpg

post-3041-0-00768700-1419006802_thumb.jpg

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

I think I can upload these pictures of the actual skylight

post-3041-0-87530400-1419008109_thumb.jpg

post-3041-0-22884500-1419008127_thumb.jpg

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS: