MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Wow, the treenails look great Nigel.  Glad you decided to take that approach.  I might have to think about doing something similar on my builds.

The ebony black strake looks fantastic.  I'm sure it took a lot work to fit, but it looks really sharp against the boxwood.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you Brian :) Yes I think I am up to date for now,number 94 I think :huh: .Definitely so much more than was just in his DVD.There is also Alex Banarov's build on the Ukranian forum of Pantelemon Victoria that is also a photographic step by step of his techniques.Some techniques only really applicable to his preferred scale of 1/36.Planishing nails flush on the scales I work to would make me cringe :o

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post.I found that cutting the treenails at 45 degrees on the ends makes it MILES easier to get in the holes as it is not to easy to see what you are doing with a blob of pva in the way ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you Mike,the ebony black strake was fairly easy and bent without any soaking etc.The ebony Wales will no doubt be another story

kind Regards

Nigel

I just fit the wales on my Pegasus in 2mm pear using top and butt planking.  It took quite a bit of time, especially as I was cutting and fitting the planks by hand.  I was thinking throughout the process "thankfully I'm not using ebony!"  

For most of the planks, I soaked them, pinned them to the hull, let them dry, and they were ready to go.  The planks near the bow were a bit trickier and needed more bending, so I soaked and pre-fit them using the jig in the post below, before soaking them again and pinning them to the hull.  I split a couple of the bow planks, until I realized that it really helped to soak the planks, then bend them by hand forward and backward to loosen the fibers in the wood before putting them in the jig.  

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7267-hms-pegasus-by-landlubber-mike-amativictory-models-scale-164/?p=329358

Just thought I'd share, though I'm sure you have a better technique in mind :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you Mike,unfortunately the biggest issue I have found with Ebony,is that the oil that adds to it's blackness drastically reduces it's ability to absorb water.Couple this with it's short grain and it can be a pain.I managed to bend the 2,5mm thick Ebony wales on Caroline using 72 hours of soaking coupled with inner and outer formers and a blowlamp!.The wales on Mordaunts bow though suffer from the fact that they are inclined by up to 45 degrees in cross section but appear horizontal when viewed form the front :huh: The top and bottom edges should also be in line with the horizon.The only way I think I can accomplish this is to shape the front sections from a billet rather than trying to bend stripwood. 

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Wow, that sounds fun.  Cutting from a billet probably would be better than trying to bend the plank laterally.  Good luck!

Mike

Nigel,

Only one way I know to do that with ebony.. spile the wales and laminate from thin stock.  There are some who say soaking in acetone will remove the oli and make things bend a bit... but I've not tried it.  If a little soak and head won't do it, I'm firmly in the laminate camp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I did consider that route Mark,the problem I foresee is that the spiled strip will be a severe arc.This can cause the strip to break easily across its depth when I try to bend it,I have had it happen before because you are cutting across the grain too much to get the correct shape.I hope that makes sense,not the easiest thing to put into words :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

It makes a lot of sense, Nigel.  It sounds like you've put a fair amount of thought into this so it should work.  As much as I love the color and texture of ebony, it sure is a pain to work with though.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A little bit of a update :) More progress on treenailing.I then took a little break to concentrate on a job that needs doing before I can complete the framing of the stern.The lower set of windows need completing as access will be greatly restricted when the upper stern section is in place as this overhangs these windows.

After the outer framework was installed,mica was used to glaze these from behind.The framing is in 0.8mm square boxwood.The mullions have been added in one piece.The transoms are being fitted in sections.Everything is being glued in place with PVA.The plan is to fill the panes with matt polyurethane as before.This should also fix everything in place and allow me to lightly sand the face of the framework flush with the aid of a custom made sanding stick.

Now having a break as my eyes and head is spinning cutting 2mm long pices of strip and gluing them in position :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel 

post-1641-0-70050100-1439138258_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-09312600-1439138261_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-80410600-1439138262_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Truly impressive work. The window components look completely vertical and horizontal across the curved transom.

Are you measuring this off, using a jig perhaps or working more by eye, especially when you glue in the horizontals?

Finally, the treenails look really great. I especially like the contrast against the ebony.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Nigel :) The windows actually form part of a fan whose centre is somewhere miles above the model.The dimensions were taken from the plan,at least an average was obtained as there were minute discrepancies comparing each window on the drawing.This gave me the shape.The internal framework is purely by eye.It is easiest to fit the central bars and then visually split the remaining sections in half when fitting the other pieces.Had there been an even number of bars,it would have been interesting :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

I quite agree... impressive windows, Nigel.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

the whole stern looks fantastic

Lovely Nigel, very impressive.  I see you shaped a piece of decorative strip beneath the windows, how did you do this?  If it was with a scraper, how did you make it?  Would love to try making my own at some point.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you very much Jason :) No I shaped it by setting a fence up on the MF70 miller and fed the strip through gently.I went this route as I had to reduce the boxwood stock down in size as well.The corners were radiused by hand with a sanding stick followed by final finishing with steel wool ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

One mini project I have been working on in conjunction with everything else,is what will be the floor of the balcony.I mentioned earlier that this was a grated deck,but I wanted something a little more visually appealing.

I have prebent a piece of 1.5mm Ebony on a jig and this was secured at the ends with some scrap boxwood and cyano.I have then tiled the upper surface with 4mm square boxwood and ebony.I haven't photographed the manufacturing techniques for this as it is covered in many other logs.A propose to apply a few light coats of Poly prior to removal and shaping.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-61695700-1439483804_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-56402500-1439483806_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Jason :) No I shaped it by setting a fence up on the MF70 miller and fed the strip through gently.I went this route as I had to reduce the boxwood stock down in size as well.The corners were radiused by hand with a sanding stick followed by final finishing with steel wool ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Dang...still searching for a simple non-power tool solution.  :)   Your balcony chequer looks fantastic.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Nigel,

I like that chequered floor Piece its very well done...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Jeff and Nils :)

I am about to add coat five :huh: of poly to the deck,it looked super smooth when I sanded it,but after the first coat,it was apparent there was a lot of grain in the Ebony.I don't mind this on hull sections,but not on a deck.I didn't have this issue with the Ebony used on Royal Caroline,just goes to show there is variation in this very dense timber.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have completed varnishing the balcony deck and is rubbed down and burnished with steel wool.This will allow adhesion with of a final spray application of matt poly once the model is complete.

I have framed another two windows(hard going on the eyes) and applied one coat of matt poly to the panes.Another coat will be required before I can sand the face of the glazing bars smooth.

The stern chaser ports and opening for the tiller arm have been cut out.I have prepared a piece of ebony to 0.8mm thick to form the linings for these openings.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-63528400-1439816937_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-01085400-1439816939_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-04857900-1439816940_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-09799500-1439816941_thumb.jpg

Edited by NMBROOK