MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

I have framed the doors in Ebony using a machined angle profile.They have been given a coat of poly.I am varnishing as I go as,if nothing else,it protects the boxwood from Ebony dust which can mark the boxwood and requires sanding to remove.

I have fitted four of the gallows?brackets under the balcony.There are two more still to fit at the transom sides.These will be shaped later as it is much easier to make sure the compound shapes line through.

The rear of the doors have been shaped where they fit to the existing planking.These have been epoxied into position.The upper section will be faired later before the planking continues upwards.

There is a dubious sheen to the matt poly at the moment.A later coat sprayed on will kill this and produce an even finish ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-46705900-1440849322_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-15384000-1440849324_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-33373800-1440849325_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-89580800-1440849326_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-41375900-1440849328_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-97317200-1440849329_thumb.jpg

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Amazing work Nigel. I have been staring at your last picture for about fifteen minutes now, this just beautiful.

Beautiful Nigel - could be a Monty Python scene right now if somebody walks through the door...but seriously, looks great.  You used epoxy, is that for strength?  I've seen a few other people reference using epoxy and I'm wondering that I'm doing something wrong by not using it?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you very much Don and Jason :)

The reason I chose epoxy in this instance Jason is two fold.Firstly,I couldn't guarantee a perfect fit to the inside of the planking.The epoxy fills gaps whereas pva does not.Secondly,epoxy sticks to ebony better than pva and I needed this joint to be as strong as possible.

Ok,I have now started work on the decorative figures that run between the windows.These are to be carved out of boxwood(yes I know,I can see where this is heading :huh:  :huh: )I could cast them,but they are all different due to the angles involved.I am trying to mirror what is illustrated on the kit castings.

This is the start of the first piece.It comprises of two figures on top of one another.I have started with the top one as I want the feet to fall on the rail below the windows.This is very much in the roughing stage.Weight loss,breast reduction,then detailing are on the menu :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-56760300-1440862864_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-86868300-1440862865_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

It is a real pleasure to follow along with this build. Simply beautiful detail work....

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thank you very much indeed Nigel :)

The upper character is now complete(well apart from the great lump of boxwood to be cut off later :D )

I have now started on roughing out the lower one.This one is crouched down with hands together :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-58500600-1440872485_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, Nigel.  And your carvings are coming out great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have to agree with Mark, Nigel - excellent work and a great start on the carvings. If this doesn't drive you mad first, they will be a lovely addition to your model. ;)

Thank you Grant and Mark :)

I have to admit Grant,carving is the one thing that really does test my patience :rolleyes: Lots of work on a 'blob' it is only the final stages where it takes shape :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

After shaping the bottom figure,I decided to relieve the back of the carving.This lended to a more 3d appearance allowing me to open up the area between the legs.

Since taking these pics,the carving has been separated from the stock and has had a thin coat of yellow ochre acrylic.The reasoning behind this is that the wood I use for carving is far too yellow for this model.The carving would not blend with other boxwood the hull is planked with. I hope that after applying a coat of poly it will blend better.If not,it is small enough to strip and try again to find a suitable method.If I get this right,it means I can use the cast wreaths around the gunports.These are good quality from a detail point of view and a better alternative to carving 22 identical ones!!

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-01229900-1440954206_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-14719600-1440954207_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-29312100-1440954208_thumb.jpg

super done carvings Nigel,  :rolleyes:

I find the color good as it is and would`nt put acrylic paint on the wood...

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Carvings look great Nigel. I'm with Nils though, it would seem a shame to paint them now. "Painting with wood" is very effective in its own right.

Great work on the carving Nigel. I can't even imagine doing all of that carving. BTW, I tend to agree with not painting, but obviously you are the one to judge what looks right to you.

Bob

Thank you Grant and Bob :)

I tried the paint route,didn't look right,so that idea aborted :rolleyes: The issue is the massive difference in colour between the boxwood I use for carving and the box used for general construction and planking.

This is further complicated by the fact I am not prepared to carve every detail on the model,kit castings will be used where appropriate.

The plan is that everything was always going to be box and ebony,no other colours anywhere.I am prepared to make one exception and that is the decoration,so now I have tried my 'get out of jail card'.

The pic is of the carving with gilding paste applied.This stuff buffs up to a high sheen,does not obscure detail and does not have the metallic flakes prominent like paint.

This does present another problem in that you cannot cover it with Poly,even if you spray it on,it turns milky.This would mean doweling the carvings and fitting all the ornamentation when the hull and decks are complete and fitted out.

The pic really doesn't do it justice.The combination of iphone camera and a dark and dingy wet day don't help.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-31177600-1441024227_thumb.jpg

OK,I have to admit everyone knows me better than I know myself,the carvings will be natural finish,just need to buy something to strip this one back to natural wood :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: If I use the kit castings,the challenge will be on to find a paint colour that mimics this timber when the poly has been applied ;) No pics for a while,I have now started the second carving,it may take some time to produce all four :D  :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Hmmmm your carving skills are so excellent.

Did you first start with turkeys at Thanksgiving? Yes I know that you folks ignore that one, but It just crossed my mind enough to make a joke, as we use that term here across the pond.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much indeed Janos :) It means a great deal coming from yourself that my carvings are up to scratch ;) I still regard myself very much in the amateur league in that respect :D I also post on a facebook group.Several posts down from my pics is the work of Ivan Trtanj on his Royal Caroline,BIG reality check :D  :rolleyes: .

The first carving is acting as a prototype and being used as constant point of reference for the other three.Indeed it does help having them side by side.Still playing with colours to try and match the boxwood.I have had another play,but it is a long time since I did art at school and colour mixing is a distant memory :D Yellow ochre too dark,add titanium buff too pale :rolleyes: I am going to end up carving everything at this rate :o

The paste is 'Goldfinger' sovereign gold.It looks better in the flesh than my pic.You brush it on and then work it with the brush and it buffs up and the excess is removed leaving a very thin film.

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 4 months later...

Magnificent work Nigel!  I have a time-consuming job and a couple of sons to raise, and I completely understand your challenges.  You're accomplishing a lot more model building than I am!  I have Mordaunt on the shelf, and I'm thinking of starting her as my next build.  

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

"What do you know after reading and writing all those books?" asked someone to a wise man.

He answered: "I know my limitation."

You are still regard yourself very much in the amateur league...

As much as you evolve, you become more humble. :)

Excellent work!...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thank you very much indeed aferox and Ferit :)  :)

I wish you all the best with Mordaunt aferox.You will have to start a build log,it will be nice not to be the only Mordaunt build on here ;) There is a good video slideshow build on youtube.I may be wrong,but this may be the build of Murpys77,a member on here.

Excellent to hear from you again Ferit my friend.I myself am now suffering post moving blues.I spent years getting everything how I wanted it and have to start over again :( However I have resumed work but it may be a little while before I post updates.

Biggest issue with moving is my carving has gone AWOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It was put in a safe place,that safe I can't find it :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel, there a is an easy and guaranteed solution to your problem.  Simply carve some replacement items and as soon as you're finished, your original carvings will miraculously be found.  Works every time! :D

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Nigel.  I pulled out the kit yesterday.  Going to be a lot of carving, but I'm looking forward to it.  Unfortunately I seem to have inherited my mom's inflammatory arthritis, and I'm anticipating only being able to do a few more builds.  So... got to get to it!  I'll move a camera to my workshop; might help with remembering to take pictures.   :)

Thankfully my youngest son is showing signs of catching the modeling bug.  I've collected a large number of kits over the years, including some very rare ones, and I'd hate to see them wasted.

Ah, the safe place!  Starting to replace it should work, rather like me getting a call from my wife as soon as I get into some... dang, there goes the phone.

Tim

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

• 2 months later...

Nothing I see here surprises me. Beautiful as always Nigel!

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Nigel, I love the carvings, well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you Bill,B.E and Kevin. :)

We hired a van yesterday and emptied our storage unit.I know I like to have a few projects on the go at once but was struck by the reality of exactly what I have infront of me :o .I have always been of the mindset that it would be best to have plenty stashed for my retirement whilst still earning before the harsh reality of todays underperforming pension schemes kick in :huh: Taking into account I have twenty years until retirement,I am going to have to live to 100 :D

To cut to the chase,I am going to focus on Nuestra 100% until completion and then revisit this and other builds :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

• 9 months later...

Knock knock... errr... I'm late for the party, but man am I surprised I found your build log. This is some amazing building you got yourself going on! I'm mesmerized... If I had a doubt about my next ship, it vanished right away... My next build will be a Mordaunt, so please take a lot of pictures for reference :D  :D  :D !!! Jokes apart, congratulations on the clean build. It's really top notch!

----

Currently scratch  building (wood, plastic and lots of other materials) a Royal Louis

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/15003-royal-louis-by-fmartins-multi-media/ 

... let's see if it survives my poor hands...