MORDAUNT 1681 by NMBROOK - Euromodel - 1:60 - Beyond Bashed

Nigel,

There you go again "raising the bar" sweeeet work!! A pleasure for the visual senses.

Cheers mate

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you very much indeed B.E.,Michael and Nick :)

sadly B.E.,we currently live in a most unpicturesque part of Yorkshire,I hope to be within 'spitting' distance of the 'white horse' if we ever get moved,so that should change ;)

I think one of my biggest influences in the choice of woodtones Nick,is Dr Mike's Rivoli,I am simply in awe of this model and his use of colour

post-1641-0-35715700-1439845654_thumb.jpg

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

Oh My!! I so had to find this ship model. With all due respect here is a link. Yes beyond Stunning.

http://shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/elite/le_rivoli/index.htm

PS: I will, off course remove this post if I've over stepped on your log (:-)Though I'm sure that there would be an interest. (I could not locate his build here at MSW)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

No problem at all Michael,I nearly posted a link myself :D I thought a pic would show instantly what I meant.If you like the pics,you will love this

http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic8019.html

And yes,he built two!!!more economically viable as he does this for a living :o

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

The stern chaser ports have now been lined with Ebony and I have also lined the hole for the tiller arm.The linings on this hole need to be flush with the stern counter,so I figured it easier to assemble a simple Ebony box.This will be trimmed and sanded flush with the counter after being left for a couple of days to ensure the glue is fully hard.Apologies for the pics,not easy to pick the details out when everything is black :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-86700000-1439908563_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-98787300-1439908564_thumb.jpg

Hi Nigel,

Lovely work as usual and I like the recessing on the liners of the chaser ports. The relief shows up nicely even allowing for the black colors. Will you leaving these ports open in the finished model so this nice detail is visible?

Also, what is the wood under the ebony...swiss pear? The light reddish color makes for a very nice contrast against the ebony. Sorry if I missed this info in an earlier post.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I have finally fitted the remaining glazing bars in the lower stern windows(yes another five to go above these and numerous ones on the deck bulkheads :rolleyes: )

The three on the right are complete,the two on the left have had the bars sanded flat and awaiting another coat of matt poly.

I have now moved on to fitting the balcony floor.Three copper pins were bonded into the edge of the floor and correspond to holes drilled in the transom.The softwood former underneath is temporary,it is purely there to hold the correct camber as I had a small amount of springback when the floor was released from it's jig.The floor has been epoxied to the transom and lower edge of the planking.The protuding sides will be trimmed and sanded flush when the epoxy has cured.This will also release the softwood former which is held with blobs of epoxy at each end.

I am looking forward to the next stage,I had a lightbulb moment this week.I have worked out how to produce decorative paneling in boxwood with an ebony architrave detail.It is based on DrMike's technique for creating these panels,but with my own twist.All will be revealed in due course ;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-81197700-1440351243_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-53530200-1440351245_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-86700600-1440351246_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-59405100-1440351248_thumb.jpg

I'm a big fan of the black timber,... it looks really classy!  This project is well on its way to being something special.......

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I have successfully completed the two pocket doors that will go either side of the stern balcony.The lightbulb idea worked :) I have taken MANY pics of the actually quite simple process.To make it easier,it will be in several posts.

Part one :P

After making a template for the angle(all the panel detail on the stern comprises of parallelograms :rolleyes: ) I cut two doors and the top and bottom angle was set on the proxxon disc sander.The blank comprises of 3mm ebony laminated with 0.6mm boxwood veneer.The parts for a fixture for the miller was cut from scrap MDF and boxwwod strip.The MDF was perfectly square and parallel(this is important later on ;) )The guide for the proxxon sander was kept set as this will be used later.Note the only reason the ebony is so thick is that the back will be shaped to mate with the inside of the hull planking.

TBC

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-70925700-1440424565_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-81442200-1440424566_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-92957500-1440424567_thumb.jpg

Part two

Standing the mdf on edge and using some scrap strip as a spacer,the first boxwood stop was glued to the MDF(this ensures it is parallel to the edge).The rest of the fixture was then assembled,the pics are self explanatory,but note the doors are only glued with tiny spots of epoxy at the corners,the boxwood is thoroughly glued to the MDF.

Next the fixture is set on the mill table,the sander guide is used to set the angle so that the grooves running across the doors can be milled.

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-67923200-1440425399_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-26878900-1440425401_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-62551500-1440425402_thumb.jpg

And finally part three

Using a dremel ball end cutter 1.2mm diameter the grooves were machined between the lines previously marked in several light passes,the total depth being 1.5mm.The fixture was then moved parallel to the table to mill the vertical grooves in the doors.

After a light sand the corners were 'squared' using the tip of a scalpel blade and job done.

Now to make the ebony panels these sit into so they can be fitted on the model

Kind Regards

Nigel

post-1641-0-41456300-1440425797_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-13846200-1440425799_thumb.jpg

post-1641-0-20824200-1440425800_thumb.jpg

Good work Nigel,

"Mordaunt" is coming on very nicely..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful doors and an excellent technique.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work, never would have thought of using the square from table saw to do that.

Excellent ! 

Thank you very indeed Jeff,Grant,Janos and Don :)

The bevel guide was actually off the Proxxon disc sander Don.The idea being,that the angle set was used to sand the ends of the doors to the correct angle and had been checked on the model.The table saw has a similar one(the guide is actually fatter on the saw one),but cutting the ends on the table saw would have risked material breakout on the trailing edge.

Kind Regards

Nigel