Red Dragon by Vivian Galad - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - modified

Hi Vivian,

good to see the progress your Red Dragon takes. I Like the way you modify the model...

BTW: Sorry for that 7:1... :D

Best wishes

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

very nice work on the stairs and hold cover.....nicely done ;) I like to make little props for the deck as well......depth and detail :) don't lament on time spent.......you do what you can. most important is that your taking care of yourself and getting better.......glad to see that!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Vivian,

Great work on the stairs, hold cover and boxes.  I love the weathered effects you use.  It looks like a "Real Working Ship" to paraphrase Andy's screen name.

I hope that you are feeling well. 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

V.

Nice work, as usual. Love the camera angles.

So sorry about yesterday. Eliana is so sad, well until Sunday anyway. She also has German blood in her so (:-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hey Viv... these last photos show very nice progress. I love how you are modifying your kit and making it look worn and used.

Cheer up.I sincerely was hoping Brazil would beat Alemania. Ni modo,linda.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Max, thanks for the compliments and, well - nice training game for you, at least it seemed so. :(

Ty, Matti!

Popeye, I know, but sometimes u wish to be there doing a lot more and that can be frustrating - patience is easier spoken than actually carried on, lol. I´m holding myself, though. Thanks for your words. =*

Jack, that´s all I want, that worn out effect - and I´m feeling ok, better and better everyday. Thank you.

Michael, thanks. Hope she´ll be better than us, here. That was a shamefull display, to say the minimum.

Ulises, I´m losing track of all modifications I´ve done, but I´ll try to write them down soon. Obrigada!

Los germanos fuéran mejores, pero como esperar tan grande victoria? Eso no se puede olvidar nunca...

Vivian,

Been following along quietly of late. She looks great, nice stairs. It seems stairs are a stumbling block for kit manufacturers, I have read about others having issues with what came in their kit - myself included. You recovered well (as usual).

Glad to hear your feeling better. Condolences on that 7-1, that was a heartbreaker I am sure. If I am not mistaken Brazil made it to that point by winning games not losing. I still dont understand how my USA made it as far as we did by losing games........

Keep up the great work!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hola Mija,

It has been a while since last I looked into your progress and I must admit that your work looks excellent. I am also glad that you are feeling better enough to work a little bit on your Red Dragon. The extra details you are adding is really thought out and I can tell that you are enjoying your journey. I look forward to more of your progress and remember to take it easy and rest when your body tells you to.

Tu Amigo, Raymond

Schnu, thank you. I´m feeling really better this week - Seems I´ve got some magical medicine or something, lol. I´m going for my "ending ship spree", now! :P

Sam, stairs are something kit manufacturers should look closely - My second kit, the second one with that problem (though in the first I still could use the kit´s material). Ty for the compliment - and 7x1, historical score - Our team lost all composure in there. Shows how psichological work is important too.

Raymond, I´m really enjoying all the steps till now. My Red Dragon is all changed and at the end, I´ll rename it. As I´m feeling almost me again, today will be a great day on my ship!! Obrigada pelo carinho. =*

Sjors, so coffee it is. Don´t be sorry, u deserved the score!! Thanks ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Very good looking chinese workboat Vivian,

will look foreward to the rigging with using bamboo, etc...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, my many thanks. Right now I´m almost myself again - just a little bit to get 100% :D

Rick! Obrigada!!!! (thank you!)

Wolf, really glad I can reach that. As I´m still a noob ship modeler, to have your words and everyone´s is great. Always looking to improve, though ;)

Hey, Nils, I´m getting there! Thank you.

I have been absent cause after trying different methods to darken the metal fittings, I failed. So, as all roads seems to lead to Blacken It, I bought some on e-bay and got to wait it before continuing on my junk. On the meantime I´ve been busy reading ship modeling and ship history books.

After some thought on which new tool to buy, I decided for this one:

post-8919-0-89498900-1407454913_thumb.jpg

Till now I´ve found it to be a great power tool!!

And then, I had a problem with the lighting. Don´t know what happened to the led, but it stopped working. As my cabin needs the light, I was made into oppening a hole on my ship. I know it looks ugly but, it´s for a greater good.

post-8919-0-17914800-1407454919_thumb.jpg

As we learn with our mistakes, now I know I have to be very sure when installing eletronic components. The good part on it it´s that I´ve devised how to turn it on/off and where to put the batteries - must confess I failed in planning that before.

So, the actual general view of my ship:

post-8919-0-39386700-1407454924_thumb.jpg

Hope my Blacken It be here soon! ^_^

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about this stuff yet, but Vivian, maybe you could cut another hole the same size beside that one, then put coamings and grating on them both?  You seem to be very capable of scratch building such things.   :P

That would balance them, look totally professional, and still allow light (actually, even more light) to get into the cabin?  

Or I am wrong and it would look wrong with gratings above the captain's cabin?   :(

Second edit - still thinking here -  Maybe some kind of skylights?

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Vivian,

That's a nice tool you've got there !

Use it and make us happy  :D  :D

Nice hole at the deck.....

It will be covered up by a grating ????

And ask the electrician in the neighbourhood what is the course of the mile function..... :P

Last picture is a great one !!!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Vivian,

Outstanding! Translation: Super-way-cool-Jolly-double-plus-GOOD!

Any idea what happened with the LED? Bad solder joint? Wrong resistor? Wrong voltage? In my experience LEDs usually dont just "go bad"and stop working. They can and do but its rare. Might be a good idea to find out now before you replace it and maybe have it fail again when you cant get to it.

Enjoying watching your journey, 

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

a grating or platform would be a good idea......be sure to leave it removable. you could even do a sort of companionway structure.....you won't feel the need to enlarge the hole.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Pops, I had to make the hole to sort out why the led I had instaled wasn´t working. As I needed the light so the cabin could be seen, I took out the bad led and got a new one. The hole will be closed and won´t even appear to have existed (well, so I hope). I gave thought to gratings and coamings, but that would be rlly wrong for the type of ship - would look great, though, I must admit ^_^

Sjors, I loved this saw. I used it in some ocasions already and it´ll soften my work (my hands are thankfull for that). The hole is just to fix the led, I´ll close it soon - for now I´m working on the rudder and part of it will be over that hole - using brass fittings I´ll have to darken - that´s why the hole is still open, by the way.

Sam, bad soldering. I used a led from a sun powered beacon and had to take out some parts before soldering it. As I took out the led, I found it was loose on it´s place. I could just solder it again, but decided on using a new one with less interference from my hands. After doing this mess, it seemed right to reconsider the lantern (seemed too rough for my liking) and I´ll make a new one, too. It´s funny, cause on the beggining I found the lantern to be ok, but now I´ve raised up my standards - just in the course of this building.

Popeye, think I already gave the answers ^_^ .

The ship looks big in the angle you took the photo, what is the size of the model? The hole looks difficult to hide, can`t wait to see how you fix it. What is your solution for turning on and off the led? And the batteries? 

Schnu, she has 49cm / 14cm at it´s widest. I´ll hide the hole using the same strips I used for deck planking - maybe with a clinical eye there´ll be some small wear to indicate something, but all the aft will be under a kind of canvas, so, I think all will be fine :) . For the batteries and turning on/off the led I made two boxes - one of them will hold the battery, the other will be fixed to the on/off button - to turn on or off you just push or pull the second box - I´ll take some pictures to show it when it´s done.

Very nice updates, dear Vivian. I admire your clean work with wood, you make a great job on the model. I am only a learner to create models of wood, but I have a wish to build the whole wooden ship in the future. Thank you very much for your sharing and inspiration.
I am looking forward to continuation.
Keep up this beautiful work
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Great looking saw, Vivian. I hope you have much fun with it for many years to come.   LED's can be tricky but it sounds like you figured out the cause and how to fix it.   It's all a  learning process and you have done well.  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Vivian, I have that same saw (as well as the Dremel Router Table) on my wish list at Amazon.

When you get a chance to check it out I sure would be interested to know how you like it and how it performs before I make my final decision.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Hi Vivian,

Happy to hear that you are feeling well.  Sorry about the hole in your deck, you might want to consider a second led in the cabin and run the wires into the switch box and leave them.  In case of a future problem all you have to do is connect the wires.

Your saw is just what the doctor ordered.  I personally believe that it is not possible to have too many toys, I mean tools.   :rolleyes:

I have been meaning to ask you if you built models of your designs when you were doing architectural design?  The way you furnished the cabin shows a special talent.

Your ship looks great. 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Mark, thank u for your visit! The saw is amazing and I´ve been playing with it a bit. Have tested it to which width it gets and precision cut´s on small pieces - so far, so good. Everytime I overcome a difficulty I feel this imense pleasure and good-job-done sense and know the hobby is so much more than putting together some pieces. Sometimes I just sit before my ship to wonder myriad thoughts, since small details that would look great to how good would she sail. That´s too much fun, it´s all! :D :D :D

Pops, I researched some time and had the saw at my wishing list for some months before buying it. At first I thought buying a circular saw, but after seeing some videos regarding precision (and considering space, too), got this one. On my wishlist now remains the flex shaft tool and the work station ^_^ .

Now, for the hobby itself and some small wooden work like building racks and such the saw is amazing. I´m even planning in designing and building some wooden furniture with it (well, not that big furniture, lol), and as you can take it out from the table it becomes a rlly versatile tool. Till now, it seems all I needed from a saw.

Jack, I´m like 85% now B) ! Might I grab your idea? Think that would be the best to do, to leave only the led inside I mean. A second one would bring too much light into my cabin. Regarding tools, I´m buying as I need them, but it seems it´s just the beginning, lol.

And then, yes, I built models for my designs. That was something I loved to do and am really sorry almost all pictures for them are gone - in 2010 I lost almost a life on stored data (among other too much important things) and saved only one. It shows two models - on first plan a two stored home 1:50 model at it´s first stages. On second plan u can see another 1:50 model of a medieval tavern for a medieval town I was building at the time. It´s a pitty I don´t have any more pictures from it since the town had about 15 houses beyond the tavern and the beginning of a castle. The tavern and 3 houses were furnitured.

post-8919-0-69762900-1407685286_thumb.jpg